Canadian banned from UK under Terrorism Act

averagejoe
Buddha of the Board

Re: Canadian banned from UK under Terrorism Act

Post by averagejoe »

300 years of guaranteed free speech at Speakers Corner London ended when Tommy Robinson is removed and banned from speaking.

They even let Karl Marx and Lennon speak there in the past.

A Speakers’ Corner is an area where open-air public speaking, debate, and discussion are allowed. The original and most noted is in the northeast corner of Hyde Park in London, UK. Speakers here may talk on any subject, as long as the police consider their speeches lawful.

http://investmentwatchblog.com/300-year ... -speaking/
Ecclesiastes 10:2 A wise man's heart is at his right hand; but a fool's heart at his left.

Thor Heyerdahl Says: “Our lack of knowledge about our own past is appalling.
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Post by The Green Barbarian »

Brass Monkey wrote:
So who was Lauren standing up to when she was handing pro-homosexuality pamphlets to Muslims in the UK?.

Read this sentence again as you answered your own question.
"The woke narcissists who make up the progressive left are characterized by an absolute lack of such conscience, but are experts at exploiting its presence in others." - Jordan Peterson
rustled
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by rustled »

She wasn't handing them out in the UK. I think that's the point, isn't it?

They are selectively applying anti-blasphemy laws, selectively applying support for free speech, selectively applying "your entry to our country is not in our country's best interest" scrutiny.

It's all part of the new puritanism, under which we are expected to conform to and support a specific faith-based morality. But because the radicals demanding compliance these days are not radical Christians, mainstream folk are not making the connection.
There is nothing more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity. - Martin Luther King Jr.
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

rustled wrote:She wasn't handing them out in the UK. I think that's the point, isn't it?

She was handing them out in the UK, in Luton, which is an area of London that has become a center of Muslim immigration. I will post another YouTube of Luton in another post.

Here's one guy's opinion on the giant can of worms that Lauren Southern has opened. I just can't get over the hypocrisy that you are allowed to offend one religion, but not another.

Free speech must include the right to ridicule gods.

In Britain in the 21st century you can be punished for mocking gods. You can be expelled from the kingdom, frozen out, if you dare to diss Allah. Perversely adopting medieval Islamic blasphemy laws, modern Britain has made it clear that it will tolerate no individual who says scurrilous or reviling things about the Islamic god or prophet. Witness the authorities’ refusal to grant entrance to the nation to the right Christian YouTuber Lauren Southern. Her crime? She once distributed a leaflet in Luton with the words ‘Allah is gay, Allah is trans, Allah is lesbian…’, and according to the letter she received from the Home Office informing her of her ban from Britain, such behaviour poses a ‘threat to the fundamental interests of [British] society’.

This is a very serious matter and the lack of outrage about it in the mainstream press, not least among those who call themselves liberal, is deeply disturbing. For what we have here is the ringfencing of Britain from anti-Islam blasphemy. The purification of the kingdom against those who would take the mick out of the Muslim faith. In refusing leave to enter to Ms Southern because she handed out those leaflets, the UK authorities are making it clear that this is a nation in which certain things cannot be said about Allah. They are sending a message not only to Ms Southern but to Britons, too: trolling of Islam is a ‘threat’ to society and counter to ‘the public policy of the United Kingdom’. They haven’t only banned one woman; they have sought to chill an entire sphere of ‘blasphemy’.

Ms Southern was stopped at the border in Calais. She was reportedly questioned under Schedule 7 of the Terrorism Act. This is an extraordinarily broad and illiberal part of the law. It can be used to stop anyone at Britain’s borders, even if there is no suspicion that they are involved in terrorism. The individual can be detained and questioned for up to nine hours. There is no right to silence. There is no right to a publicly funded lawyer if the person is at a border. That such a repressive measure was allegedly deployed in the questioning of someone for distributing leaflets, for speech, should horrify anyone who cares about liberty. This effectively treats speech as terror, ideas as violence, mere words as things to be kept out of the nation, setting a terrible precedent for free speech in this country.

When David Miranda, the partner of then Guardian journalist Glenn Greenwald, was detained at Heathrow Airport under Schedule 7 in 2013, there was outrage in the liberal press. But there has been none over Ms Southern. That’s because liberal journalists liked what Mr Miranda had to say – he was carrying ‘journalistic materials’ from the whistleblower Edward Snowden – but they don’t like what Ms Southern has to say, which is that Islam is dangerous, migration is out of control, and Europe is dying, etc. I don’t like what Ms Southern says, either, but that’s not the point. If we only oppose the arbitrary use of Schedule 7 when it is wielded against people, ideas and words we approve of, then we are not really opposing authoritarianism and injustice at all – we’re just engaging in petty partisan politics that does nothing to defend liberty.

Alongside Ms Southern, two hard-right identitarians, the Austrian Martin Sellner and the American YouTuber Brittany Pettibone, were denied entry to Britain. A Home Office letter informed them that their movement, Generation Identity, is ‘viewed in the UK as a right-wing organisation’ – to which we might legitimately respond, ‘And?’. The letter also lists Mr Sellner’s plan to give a ‘speech at speakers corner in London Hyde Park’ as something that could stir up ‘tensions between local communities’. In short, their political views are too out-there, too hardcore, for Britain. The nation and its apparently gullible populace must be protected from these views. How patronising. The authorities are insulting us more than they are Sellner, Pettibone and Southern, because they’re effectively saying we will be driven mad or racist or in some way wounded by these people’s ideas. Why so little faith in your own people, Home Office?

http://www.spiked-online.com/newsite/ar ... qw1VExFxuk
"The woke narcissists who make up the progressive left are characterized by an absolute lack of such conscience, but are experts at exploiting its presence in others." - Jordan Peterson
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Rustled:

Here's a YouTube of another woman who went back to her neighbourhood in Luton and found that things had changed, slightly. This is the area Lauren Southern was handing out her leaflet. I think she's crazy for doing it, and is honestly taking her life in her hands. But hey, good on her I guess. Freedom isn't free.

rustled
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by rustled »

The Green Barbarian wrote:
rustled wrote:She wasn't handing them out in the UK. I think that's the point, isn't it?

She was handing them out in the UK, in Luton, which is an area of London that has become a center of Muslim immigration. I will post another YouTube of Luton in another post.

Here's one guy's opinion on the giant can of worms that Lauren Southern has opened. I just can't get over the hypocrisy that you are allowed to offend one religion, but not another.

Free speech must include the right to ridicule gods.

In Britain in the 21st century you can be punished for mocking gods. You can be expelled from the kingdom, frozen out, if you dare to diss Allah. Perversely adopting medieval Islamic blasphemy laws, modern Britain has made it clear that it will tolerate no individual who says scurrilous or reviling things about the Islamic god or prophet. Witness the authorities’ refusal to grant entrance to the nation to the right Christian YouTuber Lauren Southern. Her crime? She once distributed a leaflet in Luton with the words ‘Allah is gay, Allah is trans, Allah is lesbian…’, and according to the letter she received from the Home Office informing her of her ban from Britain, such behaviour poses a ‘threat to the fundamental interests of [British] society’.

This is a very serious matter and the lack of outrage about it in the mainstream press, not least among those who call themselves liberal, is deeply disturbing. For what we have here is the ringfencing of Britain from anti-Islam blasphemy. The purification of the kingdom against those who would take the mick out of the Muslim faith. In refusing leave to enter to Ms Southern because she handed out those leaflets, the UK authorities are making it clear that this is a nation in which certain things cannot be said about Allah. They are sending a message not only to Ms Southern but to Britons, too: trolling of Islam is a ‘threat’ to society and counter to ‘the public policy of the United Kingdom’. They haven’t only banned one woman; they have sought to chill an entire sphere of ‘blasphemy’.

Ms Southern was stopped at the border in Calais. She was reportedly questioned under Schedule 7 of the Terrorism Act. This is an extraordinarily broad and illiberal part of the law. It can be used to stop anyone at Britain’s borders, even if there is no suspicion that they are involved in terrorism. The individual can be detained and questioned for up to nine hours. There is no right to silence. There is no right to a publicly funded lawyer if the person is at a border. That such a repressive measure was allegedly deployed in the questioning of someone for distributing leaflets, for speech, should horrify anyone who cares about liberty. This effectively treats speech as terror, ideas as violence, mere words as things to be kept out of the nation, setting a terrible precedent for free speech in this country.

When David Miranda, the partner of then Guardian journalist Glenn Greenwald, was detained at Heathrow Airport under Schedule 7 in 2013, there was outrage in the liberal press. But there has been none over Ms Southern. That’s because liberal journalists liked what Mr Miranda had to say – he was carrying ‘journalistic materials’ from the whistleblower Edward Snowden – but they don’t like what Ms Southern has to say, which is that Islam is dangerous, migration is out of control, and Europe is dying, etc. I don’t like what Ms Southern says, either, but that’s not the point. If we only oppose the arbitrary use of Schedule 7 when it is wielded against people, ideas and words we approve of, then we are not really opposing authoritarianism and injustice at all – we’re just engaging in petty partisan politics that does nothing to defend liberty.

Alongside Ms Southern, two hard-right identitarians, the Austrian Martin Sellner and the American YouTuber Brittany Pettibone, were denied entry to Britain. A Home Office letter informed them that their movement, Generation Identity, is ‘viewed in the UK as a right-wing organisation’ – to which we might legitimately respond, ‘And?’. The letter also lists Mr Sellner’s plan to give a ‘speech at speakers corner in London Hyde Park’ as something that could stir up ‘tensions between local communities’. In short, their political views are too out-there, too hardcore, for Britain. The nation and its apparently gullible populace must be protected from these views. How patronising. The authorities are insulting us more than they are Sellner, Pettibone and Southern, because they’re effectively saying we will be driven mad or racist or in some way wounded by these people’s ideas. Why so little faith in your own people, Home Office?

http://www.spiked-online.com/newsite/ar ... qw1VExFxuk

I thought she'd been barred from entering in order to prevent her handing them out? If she was allowed in after all, I stand corrected.

To me, this ridiculous double-standard regarding who can and cannot enter their country (slamming the gates against Christian sh__disturbers for "suspected terrorism" while being ever so careful not to turn away sh__disturbers of other faiths, most notably Islam), and the return to archaic, dark-ages blasphemy laws are precisely what people should be standing up against. It's astonishing to me that people who will defend any country for barring unpleasant Christians can simultaneously refuse to acknowledge the double-standard, AND support these ancient blasphemy laws as "necessary to combat racism".

Useful idiocy, IMO.
There is nothing more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity. - Martin Luther King Jr.
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

The Green Barbarian wrote:Rustled:

Here's a YouTube of another woman who went back to her neighbourhood in Luton and found that things had changed, slightly. This is the area Lauren Southern was handing out her leaflet. I think she's crazy for doing it, and is honestly taking her life in her hands. But hey, good on her I guess. Freedom isn't free.

the fact that the british govt did not shut this protest down is just insane :cuss: you can bet its only a matter of time before we see the same thing here in canada
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
Snman
Übergod

Post by Snman »

^^^ A very short period of time, very short. We're practically there now, imho. ^^^
I know nothing except the fact of my ignorance - Socrates
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

rustled wrote:I thought she'd been barred from entering in order to prevent her handing them out? If she was allowed in after all, I stand corrected.

Rustled - the chronology is as follows according to what I can find - a few months ago Lauren Southern was in Luton England handing out the gay pamphlets. Then she left the UK, and did an excellent Youtube series on South Africa. When she came back to Europe she tried to go back to the UK, and that's when she was detained under the Terrorism act and banned from entering the UK.
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

the truth wrote:
the fact that the british govt did not shut this protest down is just insane :cuss: you can bet its only a matter of time before we see the same thing here in canada

I thought the guy at 3:05 of the video was especially poignant, as he was saying that he had the right of freedom of speech, so it was totally ok to chant "British police burn in hell" and hold up signs saying the same thing. Fair enough, but that's pretty offensive stuff. Yet, Lauren Southern can't hand out pamphlets with a gay message because it might offend Muslims. Sorry, you can't have it both ways, as much as the lunatic left wants it that way.
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

makes no sense does it, so why is it ok for all these racists muslims in this video to get away with it :135: :cuss:

religion of piece my as :cuss: , is this there way of getting along , safe to say they are saying its there way or nothing
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
burnedatstake
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by burnedatstake »

i think it was a wise decision. we all saw what happened when we let right wing wackos carrying tiki torches in the states have freedom. you know - having their free speech - and driving through pedestrians like a game of carmagedon. and all the while the impartial rebel journalists were rubbing shoulders every step of the way.
no one has the right to incite. which is plain and simple what these people are endeavoring. guy faulkes wasnt allowed to have his moment - why should we let this chick from canada?
the capitalist idea of liberty is that one persons right to profit can be greater than another persons right to live.
JagXKR
Lord of the Board

Post by JagXKR »

One of the biggest problems in the world is letting the left wing wack jobs have to much power. They need to back into their dark holes and continue to rot. They are best composting away their lives and not growing economies or having any say in anything. Scourge of humanity.
Why use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice.
rustled
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by rustled »

JagXKR wrote:One of the biggest problems in the world is letting the left wing wack jobs have to much power. They need to back into their dark holes and continue to rot. They are best composting away their lives and not growing economies or having any say in anything. Scourge of humanity.

It's nuts that anyone actually supports the double-standard on this.
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

burnedatstake wrote:no one has the right to incite.

so what do you think of that video of Muslims clad in ISIS garb in Luton England yelling "UK police burn in hell"? Do they have the right to march and say such things? Or is a 22 year old Canadian girl spreadhing pamphlets with a pro gay message much more threatening to you? Using the situation in the US as an excuse to squelch all free speech is cowardly at best, opportunistic for leftist free-speech-hating scumbags at worst. Just like we were told the Charter applies to all Canadians and we were supposed to just accept it when the government secretly paid Omar Khadr $10.5 million, free speech also applies to everyone, even people you don't like. Lauren Southern should be able to promote gay causes in the UK without being banned because her gay literature offended people. And that's it. There are no grey areas.

Return to “Canada”