Canadian banned from UK under Terrorism Act

The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Canadian banned from UK under Terrorism Act

Post by The Green Barbarian »

Canadian right-wing journalist and activist Lauren Southern was barred from entering the United Kingdom on Monday, purportedly over a poster she distributed about Islam in February -- making her the latest international right-wing figure to be denied entry to the U.K. after criticizing the religion.

The U.K. Home Office confirmed to Fox News that Southern was refused entry to the U.K. at the border in Calais, France on the grounds that her entry was not “conducive to the public good.”

“Border Force has the power to refuse entry to an individual if it is considered that his or her presence in the UK is not conducive to the public good,” a Home Office spokesman said in a statement. The spokesman did not offer specifics as to why her entry was refused.

Southern, speaking to Fox News from France, said that she was to visit friends in the U.K., including Tommy Robinson -- the controversial founder of the right-wing English Defense League who is also known for his fiery criticism of Islam.
Southern said she was detained for six hours at the Calais border port, had her phone taken from her as she was held in a detention center and questioned for four hours in a line of interrogation she described as “bizarre.”

“They asked me if I’m a Christian extremist, asked me how I feel about running over people with cars,” she told Fox News. "They asked me about Tommy Robinson, asked how I would describe myself politically, asked me how I would describe nationalism.”

Southern said a notice of refusal of entry she was given cited a prior “distribution of racist materials” in February in Luton, which the document said “represents a threat to the fundamental interests of society and to the public policy of the United Kingdom.”

Both Southern and Robinson told Fox News that the material being referred to was a social experiment in which they passed around a fake “LGBT for Islam UK” poster that said: “Allah is Gay, Allah is Trans, Allah is Lesbian, Allah is Intersex, Allah is Feminist, Allah is Queer, Allah is All of Us.”

The experiment in Luton, which has a significant Islamic population, was in response to a Vice article that asked whether Jesus was gay, and was conducted to show what the Islamic reaction would be if a similar claim was made about Allah. Robinson said they were forced to take the posters down by police and told it was for their own safety. Both Robinson and Southern denied that the materials were racist, arguing that criticizing a religion is not a racist act.

http://www.foxnews.com/world/2018/03/12 ... islam.html
"The woke narcissists who make up the progressive left are characterized by an absolute lack of such conscience, but are experts at exploiting its presence in others." - Jordan Peterson
d0nb
Grand Pooh-bah

Re: Canadian banned from UK under Terrorism Act

Post by d0nb »

Robinson said they were forced to take the posters down by police and told it was for their own safety.

How thoughtful of the authorities to protect us from the wrath of violent extremists by restricting our freedom of expression. Should we expect the beatings to continue until morale improves? [icon_lol2.gif]
Last edited by d0nb on Mar 14th, 2018, 6:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The biggest problem of censorship is that it tends to be the last resort of the ideologically arrogant and intellectually lazy … A day spent in defense of freedom of speech is a day spent in the company of bigots and hate mongers. – Omid Malekan
Snman
Übergod

Post by Snman »

When I saw the thread title I hoped it was Trudeau. Then, I saw it was a right winger and my hopes were at once dashed.
I know nothing except the fact of my ignorance - Socrates
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

"The woke narcissists who make up the progressive left are characterized by an absolute lack of such conscience, but are experts at exploiting its presence in others." - Jordan Peterson
Snman
Übergod

Post by Snman »

GB, that appears to be the direction Canada is headed. Then again, I could be wrong. Thanx for that post.
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

where is our meat-head PM on this??? If this was a leftist being detained and banned from a right-wing country he would be flying over to get a photo-op and virtue-signal all day long.

The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Where is the CBC on this??? Even the US media is picking up on Lauren Southern and nothing in the Canadian media. Unbelievable!!!

Snman
Übergod

Post by Snman »

Disgusting indeed. I will have trouble getting to sleep tonight GB. Still, thanx for the posts. Very interesting indeed.
sobrohusfat
Guru

Post by sobrohusfat »

The Green Barbarian wrote:where is our meat-head PM on this??? ....

busy meeting with his band of tw@s to figure out how to begin proceedings to revoke her Canadian Citizenship
The adventure continues...

No good story ever started with; "So i stayed home."
FreeRights
Guru

Post by FreeRights »

It's a shame, as I'm all for freedom of expression, but to be fair, she doesn't have the right to spread controversial leaflets that may offend people who, I'm sure, many are UK citizens.

One would hope Trudeau stays out of it, because I have a hard time thinking about why the UK should tolerate people who want to disrupt their citizenry.
Come quickly Jesus, we're barely holding on.
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

FreeRights wrote:It's a shame, as I'm all for freedom of expression, but to be fair, she doesn't have the right to spread controversial leaflets that may offend people who, I'm sure, many are UK citizens.

Why doesn't she have that right? The whole point of her spreading the leaflets was to do a social experiment. Vice - the news agency - ran a story about Jesus perhaps being gay. Somehow, this was totally allowed, even though some might find it offensive.

https://www.vice.com/en_ca/article/8gkg ... us-gay-702

So what is considered "offensive" anymore? And who gets to offend? Why is it ok to only offend Christians, but no one else? That's the question she was trying to get answered, and instead ends up banned from the UK instead.

“It was for a social experiment video comparing peoples reactions when this statement was applied to different gods. It was inspired by Vice’s infamous ‘was Jesus gay’ article,” claimed Southern to Breitbart News. “Don’t suppose I know how Allah is gay is a racist statement.”

http://www.breitbart.com/tech/2018/03/1 ... m-britain/
FreeRights
Guru

Post by FreeRights »

She can write and post whatever she wants on the internet. I would be surprised if there would be any retaliation by the UK had she done that, like Vice did.

She didn't though, and after what happened in France over the Charlie Hebdo incident, I doubt the UK would have much interest in letting a non-UK citizen go in and do social experiments, in the UK, to see how offended she can make British Muslims.

She's not a citizen of the UK. Why would she have rights there at all? Further, she could have cited Charlie Hebdo as her social experiment. I think it's already been demonstrated whether some Muslims take issue with offending their prophet or not.
Come quickly Jesus, we're barely holding on.
Brass Monkey
Lord of the Board

Post by Brass Monkey »

The UK has a set of laws in place, any and everybody who goes to the UK has to respect these laws. Inciting hatred is a criminal offence in the UK, as it should be. If you travel to someone else's country to complain about immigration you are a disruption to the public. Just like the American fellow William Finlay who was arrested at our border for trying to come into our country with the intent of inciting hatred and possibly causing civil unrest, he was on his way to speak at an anti-immigration rally. Freedom of speech in nations only upholds freedom of speech for respective citizens. No nation is obligated to listen to, let alone allow a platform for foreigners.
“I have reason to believe that the agents as a whole … are doing all they can, by refusing food until the Indians are on the verge of starvation, to reduce the expense." - Sir John A. MacDonald
rustled
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by rustled »

Interesting double standard being applied by the UK here.
There is nothing more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity. - Martin Luther King Jr.

Return to “Canada”