Highway 6 has got to be the narrowest highway in Canada!!!!

Glacier
The Pilgrim

Highway 6 has got to be the narrowest highway in Canada!!!!

Post by Glacier »

Now, this highway goes for 100s of km to NOWHERE. Literally. There's NOTHING at the end.

Oh, and I'm not talking about BC highway 6, but the Yukon highway 6. Here's a Google streetview. See how narrow! Note that it's also called Canol road (Canadian Oil Road).

You can read about it here. Basically, there used to be an oil pipeline back in the 1940s from the NWT to Whitehorse where a refinery was in operation, right up over the MacKenzie Mountains. This "highway" is what's left of the pipeline route, and leads from Ross River to the NWT border, and there's literally NOTHING on that 235km section of highway, and nothing at the end.

Pretty crazy, eh!
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
Hurtlander
Walks on Forum Water

Re: Highway 6 has got to be the narrowest highway in Canada!

Post by Hurtlander »

Glacier wrote:Now, this highway goes for 100s of km to NOWHERE. Literally. There's NOTHING at the end.

Oh, and I'm not talking about BC highway 6, but the Yukon highway 6. Here's a Google streetview. See how narrow! Note that it's also called Canol road (Canadian Oil Road).

You can read about it here. Basically, there used to be an oil pipeline back in the 1940s from the NWT to Whitehorse where a refinery was in operation, right up over the MacKenzie Mountains. This "highway" is what's left of the pipeline route, and leads from Ross River to the NWT border, and there's literally NOTHING on that 235km section of highway, and nothing at the end.

Pretty crazy, eh!

Probably the narrowest numbered highway in BC is 51 which goes to the most remote town in BC, Telegraph Creek..
There’s one spot in particular that’s 12 feet wide with 600 foot ditches (sheer cliffs) on either side.
Póg Mo Thoin
No longer proud to be born in British Columbia.
TreeGuy
Lord of the Board

Re: Highway 6 has got to be the narrowest highway in Canada!

Post by TreeGuy »

Thanks for sharing. Although your headline is a bit misleading. You must write headlines for Castanet.

Google Canol Rd images and there are some great photos. I will gas up my Land Cruiser, when should we head out?

Return to “Canada”