Tightening gun laws in Canada

Btfsplck
Fledgling

Re: Tightening gun laws in Canada

Post by Btfsplck »

Regarding the alternative facts being talked about on the CBC this morning...A good Liberal will never let facts get in the way of a bit of social engineering. As long as it fits their narrative, it's good to go.
These changes do nothing except pander to the uninformed, but concerned, bed wetters.
blueliner
Übergod

Post by blueliner »

Btfsplck wrote:Regarding the alternative facts being talked about on the CBC this morning...A good Liberal will never let facts get in the way of a bit of social engineering. As long as it fits their narrative, it's good to go.
These changes do nothing except pander to the uninformed, but concerned, bed wetters.

Pretty well sums up a good Liberal for sure :smt045
blueliner
Übergod

Post by blueliner »

Glacier wrote:The CBC (which in general I do find as a good source for news) was absolutely ripping into the government's #AlternativeFacts this morning over the gun issue. For example, Ralph Goodale claimed that gun crimes are on the rise, but that's only if you cherrypick a starting point of 2013 when we hit an all time Canadian low for gun crimes. That's like graphing temperature in Canada from 2013 when we had the warmest year on record, and claiming that we're Canadian temperatures are falling so let's ramp up our carbon emissions.

CBC < which I find to be a very bias love in with the Federal Liberals >better tread very carefully on this issue on gun control.
Sure Justin will be making a phone call very quickly and tell them the to crack the whip and get back on the Liberal side or else :cuss:
Snowbound

Post by Snowbound »

I witnessed a gang banger showing his PAL to the seller in the alley behind the strip club last night. Those gun laws hard at work.
OldIslander
Board Meister

Post by OldIslander »

Glacier wrote:
OldIslander wrote:"Assault rifle" is too loose a definition. Here are a number guns that appear to be assault rifles, apparently legally for sale in Canada today...

https://www.firearmsoutletcanada.com/rifles/non-restricted/semi-automatic

It is fully automatic rifles that are restricted/banned. Semi-automatic are legal.

Actually, there is a dictionary definition that's existed for 50 years. The gun-grabber crowd has tried to change the definition to mean semi-auto guns with extra plastic on the outside. They need to pick a different word. Assault rifles are banned in Canada.

I'll say again, the term "assault rifle" is too loose a term to be meaningful in a discussion of classification of weaponry.

https://canadafreepress.com/article/what-the-heck-is-an-assault-rifle-anyway

From this site, their definition:

Assault weapon is a term which has been given many different meanings. One definition is any firearm using an intermediate cartridge. [snip...] Others might use the term to describe a semi-automatic gun that accepts detachable magazines that holds more than 10 rounds of ammunition. The term is used popularly to describe any of various automatic and semi-automatic military firearms using an intermediate cartridge. In the United States, there is a variety of statutory definitions of assault weapons in local, state, and federal laws that define them by a set of characteristics they possess, sometimes described as military-style features useful in combat. Using lists of physical features or specific firearms in defining assault weapons in the U.S. was first codified by the language of the now-expired 1994 Federal Assault Weapons Ban. A common usage is a mistaken one, as a synonym for assault rifle (a firearm with full-auto capability) , but unlike that term, “assault weapon” has no consistent or specific definition and so is subject to varying definitions for varying purposes, including definitions that include common non-military-style firearms.

In Wikipedia, here is a long detailed description (over 7,000 words...) describing Canada's gun laws. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_laws_in_Canada

In all this information, there is not one single reference to "assault rifles", much less them being banned in Canada. Where did you get your info?
“Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy.” Ernest Benn
Blindeyes2020
Fledgling

Post by Blindeyes2020 »

This will stop those criminals. Oh wait a second, no just screw over the legal gun owners again. If the government and police want to look like hero's, go knock on the doors of criminals and get their guns. Oh wait again that would be useful they don't do useful. Yeah pat yourselves on the back for making yourselves look good for the sheeple of Canada who are misinformed.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

Okay lets Assault rifle & insert guns of choice of mass shooters over last 30 years.

I really don't see a problem raising minimum age requirements of owning a gun (I'm not talking learning to use & operate a firearm just ownership). Parents at gun ranges should still be aloud to teach their children the do's & don't of firearms (this would include shooting, maintenance & proper procedures).

I also don't see a problem with deeper/stiffer background checks, with maybe a mental health element as well.

Since my childhood & young adulthood on the farm, I've never had any interests or desire of gun ownership or use myself.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
JLives
Buddha of the Board

Post by JLives »

OR....we can leave our gun laws exactly where they are as we have a good balance now. You will have fluctuations year over year and we need to be ok with that. Should we see a more serious trend developing then we should revisit it.
"Every dollar you spend is a vote for what you believe in."
"My country is the world, and my religion is to do good."
Snowbound

Post by Snowbound »

My biggest issue with all this is the cost to taxpayers.

I've read $375 Million to get it started, then $100 Million per year to maintain the program.

How about spending that money on locking up some of these repeat offenders that are out walking the streets. Or hiring more police to patrol and investigate the criminal element?
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

We often think that the US is the "wild west" when it comes to gun laws, but that's not true. They're just a decade or two behind us. My father-in-law showed me his guns. We went down the basement, and he had a hidden locked storage vault with his guns inside. He said that in the old days he'd have his guns displayed on the walls or propped up in a corner somewhere, but today most Americans keep things locked up. It's much like how when I was a kid I'd see guns sitting on the rack in the pickup truck. While it's still legal to do today, no one does it because it's not good practice when around the general public.

Like us in Canada, Americans also know that safety and public perception are very important to gun ownership, so attitudes and practices have changed there as well in recent years. All they need now is for the government's attitude around conducting proper background checks to improve. Plus, the money issue. Getting government grants based upon lowering crime and sentencing incentivizes people to turn a blind eye to violent people who shouldn't have guns. That's what happened in Parkland: http://thefederalist.com/2018/03/20/sca ... -not-guns/
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray

Return to “Canada”