Re: Peter Pan Prime Minister

Post by Snman »

Looks like I WAS wrong. :runforlife:
I know nothing except the fact of my ignorance - Socrates
hobbyguy
Buddha of the Board

Post by hobbyguy »

Catsumi wrote:Omin, you completely missed my point, and you too HG.

Let me try once again:

If we have descended into farce of our PM is to be a clown, a jack-in-the-box, fool, airhead, egghead from ANY political stripe who is ONLY responsible for standing in front of cameras BECAUSE the real work of governing is done by the non-elected behind the scenes guys, WHY have elections at all?

I don't think I can be clearer.

Actually, Philpott, Morneau, Freeland et al WERE elected.

And in point of fact the JT Liberal government operates far less as a "PMO unelected back room" driven entity than the previous Conservatives.

But it is an interesting point to ponder. Do we want a tough top down PM, or a consensus builder? Different types for different times is probably the answer.

If we look at the British example, Winston Churchill was indeed the right PM for them during his tenure - but was rejected when peace broke out.

When you consider the current context, with our most important trading partner and ally being run by a marketer... then perhaps having a marketer as PM is a good thing. At least it iswhen you can back it with a stable and competent group of "the very best people".

When it comes to needing someone to do the "tough stuff", JT has his pit bull, perhaps the most formidable woman next to Margaret Thatcher in politics in my lifetime - Chrystia Freeland.

We live in a time where consensus and team building are the norm. JT does OK with that, and I am not sure that being a little wishy washy isn't the right thing for this time and context. Especially with the serious folks around JT. I also suspect that when you get to the end of the tether, there is some bite in JT. He certainly made short work of the Stephane Dion wing of the party - quietly crushing them and Stephan.

There may be more layers to discover - after all, there is a strong conservative element in his upbringing from grampa James Sinclair...
The middle path - everything in moderation, and everything in its time and order.
Catsumi
Buddha of the Board

Post by Catsumi »

Thank you for your reply HG, enlightening.

You seem to be ok with how things are in Ottawa and that JT is some kind of great negotiator, so am happy that someone is pleased with him.

In my opinion he seems like a lost hippie child, bumbling around and being a jackazz.

Anyway, proof is in the pudding which will be next election date. I hope we get something better next time around.
Sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice. There’s a certain point at which ignorance becomes malice, at which there is simply no way to become THAT ignorant except deliberately and maliciously.

Unknown
Catsumi
Buddha of the Board

Post by Catsumi »

Snman wrote:Looks like I WAS wrong. :runforlife:

No you weren't. I just didn't spell out my thoughts clearly. My fault.
Sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice. There’s a certain point at which ignorance becomes malice, at which there is simply no way to become THAT ignorant except deliberately and maliciously.

Unknown
hobbyguy
Buddha of the Board

Post by hobbyguy »

Catsumi wrote:Thank you for your reply HG, enlightening.

You seem to be ok with how things are in Ottawa and that JT is some kind of great negotiator, so am happy that someone is pleased with him.

In my opinion he seems like a lost hippie child, bumbling around and being a jackazz.

Anyway, proof is in the pudding which will be next election date. I hope we get something better next time around.

That's because I focus on policy, the stuff that is actually happening, and not appearances and all the peanut chucking that goes on.

The boring stuff like balance of trade and how policy is going to affect that.... current account deficits... really boring stuff...
The middle path - everything in moderation, and everything in its time and order.
Catsumi
Buddha of the Board

Post by Catsumi »

Yeah, I know. I keep my eye on the deficit and growing debt.

That sums up the failures in black, white and red.

Monday 6:00 a.m.

CBC News just reported that the Federal Government debt has for the first time in history, reached One TRILLION Dollars. We, the long suffering taxpayer in a time of rising interest rates are responsible for this out of control free soending sunny ways.

Gawd help us and generations to come.

Great job, Liberals, for adding rather than subtracting. Now wait for the *bleep* polishers.

Unknown
Catsumi
Buddha of the Board

Post by Catsumi »

Boring stuff, a one trillion dollar debt load on our backs.

Unknown
normaM
The Pilgrim

Post by normaM »

Lucky for us JT has kids so we can see Trudeaus in power for decades :)
If there was a Loser contest you'd come in second
Catsumi
Buddha of the Board

Post by Catsumi »

The USA chief negotiator for NAFTA, was being interviewed by Michael Enright this morning on CBC Radio. (The Sunday Morning Edition Show....sorry, no link directly to this item on that website)

Cannot recall his name but couldn't help but notice that he is entrenched in his views, as stubborn as a mule and pugnacious and fierce as pitbull. His attitude towards Canada smacks of war, doesn't give a damn if we go down in flames, it is U S A interests first and foremost.

He demanded an apology from Enright for some small slight, didn't get it, said f-off, stormed out.

This attitude does not bode well for us. Who on our team has the brains and stones to negotiate with this man and his team?

:200:

Unknown
Merry
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Merry »

Canada survived without NAFTA in the past, and will survive without NAFTA in the future. No deal is better than a bad deal, and these people do not appear to be negotiating in good faith. I hope our team tells them to eff off if they won't give us a fair shake.
"In a world swathed in political correctness, the voting booth remains the final sanctuary where the people are free to speak" - Clifford Orwin
hobbyguy
Buddha of the Board

Post by hobbyguy »

Catsumi wrote:The USA chief negotiator for NAFTA, was being interviewed by Michael Enright this morning on CBC Radio. (The Sunday Morning Edition Show....sorry, no link directly to this item on that website)

Cannot recall his name but couldn't help but notice that he is entrenched in his views, as stubborn as a mule and pugnacious and fierce as pitbull. His attitude towards Canada smacks of war, doesn't give a damn if we go down in flames, it is U S A interests first and foremost.

He demanded an apology from Enright for some small slight, didn't get it, said f-off, stormed out.

This attitude does not bode well for us. Who on our team has the brains and stones to negotiate with this man and his team?

:200:

First off, you can not negotiate with an ideologue. Trump has filled positions and promoted people who match up with the ideology he plays with. Trump is a zero sum guy, doesn't understand or want to understand win-win concepts.

Secondly, I think that Chrystia Feeland is more than formidable enough to deal with them, but like I said, hard to negotiate against a zero sum ideologue. Thus far, however, has pretty much gotten Trump and crew to switch gears on steel and aluminum, which took some doing. So maybe is still on the table... remember it took over 3 years to negotiate NAFTA the first time around, and things like intellectual property weren't a big deal then..

Thirdly, as every day passes, CETA (a joint Conservative/Liberal accomplishment) has more effect, and the CPTPP gets closer to providing real benefits. (Plus background negotiations with the UK for post BEXIT.). That means that stretching out NAFTA negotiations puts Canada in a stronger position as time passes.

In the end, I suspect Trump wants NAFTA gone. Nothing and no one is going to change that. It's what he campaigned on. Of course, that would require congressional approval, but who knows what the lap dog congress is capable of these days?

I am not a fan of NAFTA anyway. We were ok without, and ok with, so meh! The Americans still slap our lumber with duties just as before NAFTA - and will always do so. All that happens is that prices go up in the US to compensate for the duties. The BC forest industry is still chugging along putting out the same or more GDP (constant 2007 dollars) as it did in 1997...

Trade with the Americans is always on their terms anyway, so looking to the options that are now open is better. Certainly trade with Trump's America is intended to be on strictly on their terms. The more things change, the more they stay the same.
Ken7
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Ken7 »

Omnitheo wrote:That is certainly true, however we do also know that Harper exerted greater control over everything that happened in office under his tenure. And thus there is further onus on Harper for a lot of actions that occurred under his leadership.

I have to ask, does the Prime Minister not have to approve his parties decisions and approve what they are doing?

Maybe I'm incorrect then saying this Government has truly not accomplished a lot for Canada. We sure look great around the world, but Indiginous issues, Veterans Affairs, Immigration into Canada, the list can go on. I am truly sorry for placing blame on the Prime minister, oh right how could he be held accountable, half the time or greater then he is out playing Mister Dressup.

That is likely why he wishes to remove Mr and Mrs from the English language.

Really, if you believe he is doing great you are not looking at what is best for Canada.

Further too, another TAX grab Carbon tax really, they have no clue as Canada is not running a huge negative as they might have you believing.

Return to “Canada”