Trudeau handing election to Scheer - Toronto Sun

blueliner
Übergod

Re: Trudeau handing election to Scheer - Toronto Sun

Post by blueliner »

Snman wrote:
burnedatstake wrote:its the "sun" people.....nothing to see here. just axe grinding agendas. yawn

....and Global, and CTV and so on. LOL. Bon voyage, Justin.

Can hardly wait if and when the "CBC" gets on the band wagon :up:
Don't worry Justin , you will still be in line for your Noble Peace prize and your seat will be there at the UN Security Council
PS don't let the door slam u to hard on your way out :130:
burnedatstake
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by burnedatstake »

all i see is a false confidence. like a guy with small stature buying a big truck. the conservatives are talking a big game and predicting big gains. i dont see that happeneing. maybe in alberta where there are small men and big trucks........but not in every other civilized part of canada
the capitalist idea of liberty is that one persons right to profit can be greater than another persons right to live.
hobbyguy
Buddha of the Board

Post by hobbyguy »

The day-to-day peanut chucking that Scheer and crew are doing is having an effect. But will it last? I doubt it... things like Oda affair didn't stick with Harper. Those things tend not to. What they do though is get people to give the options a look, and that gives a temporary bump to the options.

The problem is, when they get around to really looking at the Scheer option, do they see anything be attracted TO? To me, what made Harper "teflon" in the end was looking at the option and seeing Dion... yuck!

I would suggest that the sort of swing voter needed is going to look at Scheer and... well... meh!

I checked the Conservative website today, and the arguments made there, well they are an inch deep... at best.
The middle path - everything in moderation, and everything in its time and order.
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Post by The Green Barbarian »

bob vernon wrote: His beliefs about removing women from the workforce and getting them back in the kitchen where they belong will haunt him forever. .

oh good grief. When you have to lie like this to prove a point, you just show how desperate you really are.
"The woke narcissists who make up the progressive left are characterized by an absolute lack of such conscience, but are experts at exploiting its presence in others." - Jordan Peterson
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Here's another reason the Liberals are dying in the polls. And left crap about Scheer wanting women back in the kitchen isn't going to change things, until the Liberals move back to the center.

MALCOLM: Canadians sick and tired of liberal identity politics

Canada is not a racist country, and most Canadians are not racist people. It’s strange that this even needs to be said, but given the rise of divisive identity politics and ugly race-baiting in the news these days, it’s worth stating and restating.

That’s not to say that racism doesn’t exist. It does – in every society around the world and throughout history. There is, however, an important difference between individual cases of racism – which we should join together to condemn – and so-called institutional or systemic racism.

Left-wing activists insist that Canada is a horrible and racist society – so racist, in fact, that our laws and institutions are embedded with racial biases and bigotry. But these activists can’t point to instances of supposed “white privilege” racism in the law, so they rely on rhetoric and anecdotal evidence.

If people from one ethnic or religious background commit more crimes and go to jail, the Left blames systemic racism. They exonerate the individual for his or her actions, and blame society.

These tactics used by Canada-hating activists have recently been picked up by the Trudeau government.

The 2018 budget was rife with postmodern rhetoric and buzzwords. The government makes every decision through a “gendered intersectionality lens” said one Trudeau government minister. It was a historic budget for “racialized Canadians,” said another, boasting about tens of millions spent on various government programs that divide us along racial lines and reward some Canadians based on their skin colour.

Next, news broke that the Trudeau government was planning a cross-country tour to investigate racism in Canada. “The government said it wants to create a new strategy to counter systemic racism and religious discrimination,” according to The Globe & Mail.

When journalist Robert Fife criticized Trudeau and said Canada isn’t a racist society (giving the example of how students in Canadian schools embrace friendships across racial lines) he was met with a fury of criticism, most prominently from Liberal MP Celina Caesar-Chavannes.

“To suggest that systemic racism does not exist, makes me question your ability to investigate stories of the Canadian experience without bias,” wrote the MP on Twitter.

This is the same MP who told Conservative MP Maxime Bernier to “check your privilege and be quiet” after Bernier criticized the Liberal’s race-baiting budget.

Caesar-Chavannes thinks Bernier has no right to speak about race, based only on his skin colour. She also thinks that Fife has no right to be a journalist simply because he rejects the Liberal’s narrative on systemic racism.

These outbursts by Caesar-Chavannes led to criticism from Canadians who are sick and tired of being demonized through identity politics. In response, Caesar-Chavannes turned herself into the victim, releasing a selfie video of herself crying over the criticism.

Liberal partisans quickly rallied behind the MP, spinning the truth to claim that Caesar-Chavannes was being bullied because of race.

The opposite is true. This MP tried to bully others into silence based on their race. Her race-baiting tactics backfired, and so she decided to play the victim and pretend this is yet another example of racism against her.

Canada is a great country, and the fact that MP Celina Caesar-Chavannes – an immigrant from Grenada – has risen to such a prominent position in our society is evidence that Canada is not the racist and bigoted country she makes it out to be.

http://canoe.com/opinion/columnists/mal ... ca7a1040cd
"The woke narcissists who make up the progressive left are characterized by an absolute lack of such conscience, but are experts at exploiting its presence in others." - Jordan Peterson
hobbyguy
Buddha of the Board

Post by hobbyguy »

Good grief GB https://www.thestar.com/news/canada/2012/11/07/stephen_harper_uses_punjab_visit_to_show_support_for_sikh_community.html and http://montrealgazette.com/news/local-news/canada-stands-by-israel-through-fire-and-water-harper-tells-montreal-jewish-group and https://www.thestar.com/news/federal-election/2015/09/30/our-values-are-your-values-harper-tells-chinese-canadians.html and ... pick a pol, Mulroney, Chretien, whoever, they all do it.

"Identity politics" is a game ALL politicians play. It is the old "kissing babies" thing.

It goes to various levels and much of it is easily understood "kissing babies" which is generally harmless and may actually be positive in bringing the country together.

No, I don't see "systemic racism" in Canada except in one area, and that one, if resolved (and it will take a long time) will make Canada a better and stronger country.

There are bubbles of racism, and factions who promote it. Efforts to make Canada more inclusive, even if sometimes misdirected, are bound to be positive. Very few of us "fat old white guys" don't have some stereotypes embedded that pop up once in while. There are those who continue to promote them. And yes, there are also those who see "a fat old white guy" and attribute things to them that aren't there.

"If people from one ethnic or religious background commit more crimes and go to jail, the Left blames systemic racism. They exonerate the individual for his or her actions, and blame society.

These tactics used by Canada-hating activists have recently been picked up by the Trudeau government."

That's a pretty blanket sort of generalization. Yes, out there on far left anarchist/communist fringe you indeed get overblown statements, and anti-Canada sentiment. The exact same exist at the far right fringe.

The reality is that the more you study the matter of incarceration rates, the more you realize that it is economic circumstances that are more the deciding factor. In some cases, most notably, the "Indian Act", there is a systemic issue that contributes to a systemic economic disadvantage... which in turn acts as a determinant in incarceration rates. Historically, immigrant groups arrive with an economic disadvantage, and that plays out into incarceration rates. From "the Irish problem" on to today.

This paper sheds some light on the complexities and dynamics: http://summit.sfu.ca/system/files/iritems1/5767/b15282892.pdf

Interestingly, within that paper is the concept that our schools apply a middle class set of standards to all students, and those who come from economically disadvantaged backgrounds thus do face a systemic challenge - which can easily be misinterpreted, depending on who's shoes you are walking in, as racially based. Certainly the education system, biased in outlook toward the existing middle class, perpetuates though disadvantage the status quo.

So if you look at that notion, and similar ones, the system response can create an impression of systemic racism, and if not paid attention to, that can become a real factor. Once a "cycle of poverty" is established, it can be very difficult to break. In Canada's context, that "cycle of poverty" has been perpetuated in a very large degree in the "Indian Act" and for many of the waves of immigrants. It is easy to see how the few nasty far right groups in Canada can then leave wave immigrants, sometimes correctly, but often not, with a sense of generalized discrimination.

You may or may not remember this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anti-Ukrainian_sentiment

Anti-Ukrainian discrimination was present in Canada from the arrival of Ukrainians in Canada around 1891 until the late 20th Century. In one sense this was part of a larger trend towards nativism in English Canada during the period. But Ukrainians were singled out for special discrimination because of their large numbers, visibility (due to dress and language), and political activism. During the First World War, around 8,000 Ukrainian Canadian were interned by the Canadian government as "enemy aliens" (because they came from the Austrian Empire). In the interwar period all Ukrainian cultural and political groups, no matter what their ideology was, were monitored by the Royal Canadian Mounted Police and many of their leaders were deported.[57]

"This attitude began to slowly change after the Second World War, as Canadian immigration and cultural policies generally moved from being explicitly pro-British to a more pluralistic foundation. Ukrainian nationalists were now seen as victims of communism, rather than dangerous subversives. Ukrainians began to hold high offices, and one, Senator Paul Yuzyk was one of the earliest proponents of a policy of "multiculturalism" which would end official discrimination and acknowledge the contribution of non-English, non-French Canadians. The Royal Commission on Bilingualism and Biculturalism of the 1960s, which had originally been formed only to deal with French-Canadian grievances, began the transition to multiculturalism in Canada because of Prime Minister Pierre Trudeau's desire to court Ukrainian votes in Western Canada. The Commission also included a Ukrainian commissioner, Jaroslav Rudnyckyj.

Since the adoption of official multiculturalism under Section Twenty-seven of the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms in 1982, Ukrainians in Canada have had legal protection against discrimination."

On an anecdotal basis, the Italian immigrant/descendant community in Vancouver had some feelings of discrimination. Even in the 1990s I faced a discrimination complaint from a union as a disciplined worker of Italian background claimed discrimination (which was kinda silly, as my mother was Italian...).

Methinks that when you look a little deeper, it is easier to understand where these people are coming from. Respectful dialogue is the way past it, and in the process, those of us feel good about Canada and our place in it will learn something too.
The middle path - everything in moderation, and everything in its time and order.
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

hobbyguy wrote:Good grief GB

Good grief back at ya HG (and sorry, don't have time to read your long screed, especially if you are trying to defend the indefensible Liberals - another time). You are backing a losing horse here. Trudeau has gone too far with this sanctimonious social engineering crap. It's coming off as bullying, just as it did when Obama did it in the US. And he's dying at the polls. What I can't believe is that he flamed out so fast. I honestly thought the vacuous gestures and constant selfies would still keep some of the people fooled some of the time.

And here's how you unite Christians, Muslims and Jews together - albeit against the government - you play politics with summer jobs programs and try and force your agenda on them. Two years of Trudeau in the Middle East and he'd unite all Muslims, Jews and Christians (the few that are left) in their desire to get rid of him and forget their own squabbles. They'd probably finally recognize Israel as a country just to stop the constant virtue signalling and nonsense. What a bonehead.

Extremely disappointed': Religious groups meet with minister on summer jobs program, but no compromise coming

OTTAWA — A coalition of Christian, Jewish and Muslim groups says a face-to-face meeting with Employment Minister Patty Hajdu in Ottawa last week ended in disappointment as they were told there will be no compromise — at least for this year — on the Canada Summer jobs attestation on abortion rights.

“In spite of our ongoing efforts at dialogue with the government … it has been made clear to us by the minister that there will be no accommodation provided, and no changes made to the attestation for this year,” says a joint letter released Wednesday.

“While we welcome a review of the application process for 2019 and have asked the minister to be included in the process of changing the policy, we are extremely disappointed that the government has chosen not to make adjustments to the program for this year.”

The letter is signed by the Evangelical Fellowship of Canada, the Rabbinical Council of America, the Canadian Council of Imams, the Christian Legal Fellowship, the Canadian Council of Christian Charities, the Catholic Women’s League of Canada and the Canadian Conference of Catholic Bishops. The meeting took place on March 21.

Hajdu has said that the attestation, which requires that an organization’s “core mandate” respect reproductive rights, is aimed at the primary activities of an organization and that faith-based groups who aren’t focused on protesting abortion rights should feel free to sign. But many religious groups have said they can’t separate their beliefs and values from their core mandate, and can’t sign the attestation in good conscience.

http://nationalpost.com/news/politics/e ... ise-coming
burnedatstake
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by burnedatstake »

*removed*
Last edited by ferri on Apr 2nd, 2018, 9:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Try again without the personal attack.
the capitalist idea of liberty is that one persons right to profit can be greater than another persons right to live.
Snman
Übergod

Post by Snman »

burnedatstake wrote:all i see is a false confidence. like a guy with small stature buying a big truck. the conservatives are talking a big game and predicting big gains. i dont see that happeneing. maybe in alberta where there are small men and big trucks........but not in every other civilized part of canada

Speaking of sanctimonious posters. I guess you think you're better than all Albertans. I would bet you're actually one of those small men with a big truck, just like your mouth. I laughed out loud at your post, like all the other comical gems you provide.
I know nothing except the fact of my ignorance - Socrates
burnedatstake
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by burnedatstake »

Snman wrote:
burnedatstake wrote:all i see is a false confidence. like a guy with small stature buying a big truck. the conservatives are talking a big game and predicting big gains. i dont see that happeneing. maybe in alberta where there are small men and big trucks........but not in every other civilized part of canada

Speaking of sanctimonious posters. I guess you think you're better than all Albertans. I would bet you're actually one of those small men with a big truck, just like your mouth. I laughed out loud at your post, like all the other comical gems you provide.

so.......i hit a nerve. is that what you are saying?
Snman
Übergod

Post by Snman »

^^^ Hit a nerve? Sorry, nope. I saw your rant about another poster being sanctimonious and it just appeared to be a case of the pot calling the kettle black. That's all. Then again, I could be wrong.

sanc·ti·mo·ni·ous

/ˌsaNG(k)təˈmōnēəs/

adjective
derogatory

adjective: sanctimonious

making a show of being morally superior to other people.
"what happened to all the sanctimonious talk about putting his family first?"

synonyms: self-righteous, holier-than-thou, pious, pietistic, churchy, moralizing, preachy, smug, superior, priggish, hypocritical, insincere; informal goody-goody
"no one wants to hear your sanctimonious hot air"
I know nothing except the fact of my ignorance - Socrates
hobbyguy
Buddha of the Board

Post by hobbyguy »

GB - like it or not, democracy depends on secularism.

Therefore, government should not be supporting any religious group.
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

hobbyguy wrote:GB - like it or not, democracy depends on secularism.

So what are you saying then HG? That even if these religious groups all bowed to the social engineering of the Liberal government re abortion you would still deny them funding? So now a mosque in Calgary can't hire kids for the summer because they can't get a grant, no matter how much they compromise their principles? Just curious if that's where you are heading, because to me that's a pretty slippery slope. What other groups are you going to deny government funding to next Big Brother?
hobbyguy
Buddha of the Board

Post by hobbyguy »

The Green Barbarian wrote:
hobbyguy wrote:GB - like it or not, democracy depends on secularism.

So what are you saying then HG? That even if these religious groups all bowed to the social engineering of the Liberal government re abortion you would still deny them funding? So now a mosque in Calgary can't hire kids for the summer because they can't get a grant, no matter how much they compromise their principles? Just curious if that's where you are heading, because to me that's a pretty slippery slope. What other groups are you going to deny government funding to next Big Brother?

Actually, that isn't "big brother". It is just common sense that if the groups are doing things in a secular fashion, no problem.

It is a simple line, any group that is conducting lawful secular activity is eligible.

There is no "slippery slope" to that at all. Nobody is forcing anyone to apply for the grants.

Where the "slippery slope" exists is in funding any organization that advocates against the law of the land and/or for authority extending into governance.
rustled
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by rustled »

hobbyguy wrote:Actually, that isn't "big brother". It is just common sense that if the groups are doing things in a secular fashion, no problem.

It is a simple line, any group that is conducting lawful secular activity is eligible.

There is no "slippery slope" to that at all. Nobody is forcing anyone to apply for the grants.

Where the "slippery slope" exists is in funding any organization that advocates against the law of the land and/or for authority extending into governance.

Nobody is forcing anyone to apply for the grants. (Nobody is forcing anyone to ride motorcycles, either. The law in place regarding appropriate protection while riding motorcycle is not secular.)

The rules previously in place for the grants did not stop Canada from evolving. The rules did not need to be changed to prevent women from accessing abortions. Yet this government tells us the rules must now change to make them more "secular". Even though as we have recently seen, the law does not have to change to meet that same standard.

Interesting, huh?
There is nothing more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity. - Martin Luther King Jr.

Return to “Canada”