Freedom of Speech - M103

blue iguana
Fledgling

Freedom of Speech - M103

Post by blue iguana »

Canada’s parliament has approved M-103, a non-biding motion that calls on the government to “condemn Islamophobia and all forms of systemic racism and religious discrimination”. Though singled out for special consideration, it is noteworthy that the motion does not define Islamophobia.

Federal Liberal MP Iqra Khalid, who tabled M-103, may understand Islamophobia to mean what its original promoters, the 56 Muslim-majority bloc of the United Nations known as the Organization of Islamic Cooperation (OIC), say it means. The OIC wants to see the Cairo Declaration on Human rights become the template for Islamophobia policies everywhere. The Cairo Declaration asserts the superiority of Islam and defines freedom of speech according to Sharia law, which considers any criticism of Muhammad blasphemy. The OIC is inching ever closer to realizing that goal. Many EU countries are seeking to criminalize Islamophobia by using “racism and xenophobia,” “public order” or “denigration” laws, which are essentially proxies for the Cairo Declaration.

Motions aren’t the same as private member’s bills but M-103 is different. It calls on the Heritage Committee to commence a study on eliminating Islamophobia. Will the study then recommend laws to pursue this goal?

Local MPs LIberal Stephen Fuhr and NDP Richard Cannings voted FOR M-103. CPC Dan Albas, CPC Cathy McLeod and CPC Mel Arnold voted AGAINST M-103.

Canada already has anti-hate laws so why do we need M-103? Why single out a special group to be elevated above protections offered to all? Forced acceptance of an ideology, is not progressive, it is oppressive.

How does Trudeau reconcile his claim of "male feminism" with that of his support for an ideology which undertakes brutal repression and violence towards females? PM Trudeau, which side are you on? You can't have it both ways.   

If you believe that free speech is important, than you have a moral obligation to yourself to question what is happening to free speech. Courage is in short supply these days and its absence is not improving our society. Will Canada continue to be a free and open country, or will we be afraid to have an opinion? Fear is the greatest form of control.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Re: Freedom of Speech - M103

Post by Fancy »

Free speech is not absolute.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
Catsumi
Buddha of the Board

Post by Catsumi »

Canada already has anti-hate laws so why do we need M-103? Why single out a special group to be elevated above protections offered to all? Forced acceptance of an ideology, is not progressive, it is oppressive.

^^^^ This is just another misguided attempt to make one segment of the population more equal than others. (Orwell, 1984)
Sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice. There’s a certain point at which ignorance becomes malice, at which there is simply no way to become THAT ignorant except deliberately and maliciously.

Unknown
blue iguana
Fledgling

Post by blue iguana »

Since Trudeau has taken office, I feel that this is the most divisive Canada has been in decades. Trudeau touts "Diversity is our Strength!" But I beg to differ and believe that "Unity is our Strength!" The citizens of a country must be unified and share common values and beliefs. “A HOUSE OR COUNTRY DIVIDED AGAINST ITSELF CANNOT STAND”. Sir Wilfred Laurier, the 7th Canadian PM, was a fervent promoter of national unity during cultural conflict. His dedication to Canadian unity took precedence over everything else. He was a clever, skilful and intelligent politician who cared about this great country of Canada. We need a Prime Minister right now that could heal the wounds of division instead of creating them. I feel that Canada is headed in a very dangerous direction. Just look at what is happening in the EU. Political correctness has gone to an extreme, and everyone is offended by something, and everything is considered "racist!" I am very concerned for Canadian children, grandchildren, and future generations of Canadians.
Catsumi
Buddha of the Board

Post by Catsumi »

You are not alone in your anxiety about the increasing divisions in Canada which has increased alarmingly under JT.

This PM has an agenda of his own that does not jive well with traditionalists (paying terrorist, admitting ISIS people in, immigration intakes, etc) and as a consequence we are lining up on "sides" at each others' throats over issues that were unthinkable only 10-15 years ago.

Some see JT as just a fool, and others as a dangerous fool.

Once we have kicked him to the curb how on earth will a new PM stitch us together again? Either we will have a common cause such as a war (hope not a civil war) or we just give up because we are helpless in a sinking boat.
Sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice. There’s a certain point at which ignorance becomes malice, at which there is simply no way to become THAT ignorant except deliberately and maliciously.

Unknown
Brass Monkey
Lord of the Board

Post by Brass Monkey »

Catsumi wrote:You are not alone in your anxiety about the increasing divisions in Canada which has increased alarmingly under JT.

This PM has an agenda of his own that does not jive well with traditionalists (paying terrorist, admitting ISIS people in, immigration intakes, etc) and as a consequence we are lining up on "sides" at each others' throats over issues that were unthinkable only 10-15 years ago.

Once we have kicked him to the curb how on earth will a new PM stitch us together again? Either we will have a common cause such as a war (hope not a civil war) or we just give up because we are helpless in a sinking boat.

The PM has an agenda that abides by the constitution. He is not paying terrorists as you so simply put it, he is compensating those that are victims of our illegal breechings of the Geneva Convention, he is not admitting ISIS people in as you so simply put it, they are Canadian citizens and their right to re-enter Canada is a constitutionally protected right, Trudeau does not have the power to refuse entry to Canadians but he has the power to jail those Canadians if they are convicted of war crimes. We are on track to the be the most economically powerful and resource rich country by 2050, Canada was just voted the worlds most influential country in 2017. You guys are incredibly dramatic, we are on an irreversible path to super power status.
“I have reason to believe that the agents as a whole … are doing all they can, by refusing food until the Indians are on the verge of starvation, to reduce the expense." - Sir John A. MacDonald
CapitalB
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by CapitalB »

Brass Monkey wrote:The PM has an agenda that abides by the constitution. He is not paying terrorists as you so simply put it, he is compensating those that are victims of our illegal breechings of the Geneva Convention, he is not admitting ISIS people in as you so simply put it, they are Canadian citizens and their right to re-enter Canada is a constitutionally protected right, Trudeau does not have the power to refuse entry to Canadians but he has the power to jail those Canadians if they are convicted of war crimes. We are on track to the be the most economically powerful and resource rich country by 2050, Canada was just voted the worlds most influential country in 2017. You guys are incredibly dramatic, we are on an irreversible path to super power status.

It seems like the side making the most noise in that regard is more concerned with moral values (their own anyway) than anything else. If you looked at all this government has done through a lens of pure logic, minus any partisan bias you see that we've had two years of growth and prosperity. As well as we've had the social push back, which is where most of the opposition are finding issue. They don't see social progress as progress, they seem to see it as moral corruption, or caving in to minorities, or some conspiracy amongst liberal people. Instead of the simple forward social progress that everyone else seems to clearly see.

Its a weird issue, a weird division, that at its base just comes down to similar values seen from opposite points of view. I don't think most of the people digging deeper into the right wing are interested in any kind of unity or compromise, they seem purely to want to dominate their agenda over the liberal agenda. The liberal side (except the most extreme people) keep trying to find some sort of middle ground but the conservative side seems more interested in using that as a lever to push things more right. Its a vicious cycle and I don't really know how we can get passed that in a unified way, as usual society may just have to push through the people trying to hold it back. I guess history repeats itself.
So much of the violent push-back on everything progressive and reformist comes down to: I can see the future, and in this future I am not the centre of the universe and master of all that I survey, therefore this future must be resisted at all costs.
Catsumi
Buddha of the Board

Post by Catsumi »

The posts above demonstrate clearly the divisions in Canada.

Unknown
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

coriaselton wrote:Since Trudeau has taken office, I feel that this is the most divisive Canada has been in decades. Trudeau touts "Diversity is our Strength!" But I beg to differ and believe that "Unity is our Strength!" The citizens of a country must be unified and share common values and beliefs. “A HOUSE OR COUNTRY DIVIDED AGAINST ITSELF CANNOT STAND”. Sir Wilfred Laurier, the 7th Canadian PM, was a fervent promoter of national unity during cultural conflict. His dedication to Canadian unity took precedence over everything else. He was a clever, skilful and intelligent politician who cared about this great country of Canada. We need a Prime Minister right now that could heal the wounds of division instead of creating them. I feel that Canada is headed in a very dangerous direction. Just look at what is happening in the EU. Political correctness has gone to an extreme, and everyone is offended by something, and everything is considered "racist!" I am very concerned for Canadian children, grandchildren, and future generations of Canadians.

jt is are trump sad but true, imo he is the major reason for increased racism in canada
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

Catsumi wrote:You are not alone in your anxiety about the increasing divisions in Canada which has increased alarmingly under JT.

jt has f :cuss: this country to the point were i do not think if can be fixed after he is gone
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
blue iguana
Fledgling

Post by blue iguana »

I feel that the free exchange of ideas and a more open conversation would be helpful in achieving positive outcomes than divisive identity politics. Millions have paid with their lives so that we have a free and open society. No society will ever be perfect, but you can strive to have one that benefits as many citizens as possible and causes harm to as few citizens as possible. In order to achieve this, some very simple and powerful principles have been put into practice: free-speech and the free exchange of ideas; the citizen as an individual; a merit based society with equal opportunity for all citizens; the principle that all citizens are equal under the law; a basic social safety net so that no citizen will starve or go without basic medical care; and the idea that citizens are free to hold and express their own ideas and beliefs and that the state will not mandate beliefs or statements.
Brass Monkey
Lord of the Board

Post by Brass Monkey »

CapitalB wrote:
It seems like the side making the most noise in that regard is more concerned with moral values (their own anyway) than anything else. If you looked at all this government has done through a lens of pure logic, minus any partisan bias you see that we've had two years of growth and prosperity. As well as we've had the social push back, which is where most of the opposition are finding issue. They don't see social progress as progress, they seem to see it as moral corruption, or caving in to minorities, or some conspiracy amongst liberal people. Instead of the simple forward social progress that everyone else seems to clearly see.

Its a weird issue, a weird division, that at its base just comes down to similar values seen from opposite points of view. I don't think most of the people digging deeper into the right wing are interested in any kind of unity or compromise, they seem purely to want to dominate their agenda over the liberal agenda. The liberal side (except the most extreme people) keep trying to find some sort of middle ground but the conservative side seems more interested in using that as a lever to push things more right. Its a vicious cycle and I don't really know how we can get passed that in a unified way, as usual society may just have to push through the people trying to hold it back. I guess history repeats itself.

You’re right, for people who claim to not be social justice warriors they spend a lot of time focusing on Trudeau’s social policies and not his economic ones. Conservatism and traditionalism are synonymous so it just makes sense that conservatives will be the last in line for the push for progression. Change is scary, ideals that we accept and protect today were once feared by many. I just despise the conservative rhetoric that Trudeau’s tendency to push for minority rights will somehow lead to economic and societal collapse. Trudeau has never come out in support of 1 demographic vs the other, but it seems like every time he suppprts a legislation that benefits a minority group conservatives will accuse him of being a ____ sympathizer. I’ve had Americans tell me that Trudeau will be responsible for enforcing sharia law because of m103. Some people can come to wild conclusions.
“I have reason to believe that the agents as a whole … are doing all they can, by refusing food until the Indians are on the verge of starvation, to reduce the expense." - Sir John A. MacDonald
CapitalB
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by CapitalB »

coriaselton wrote:I feel that the free exchange of ideas and a more open conversation would be helpful in achieving positive outcomes than divisive identity politics. Millions have paid with their lives so that we have a free and open society. No society will ever be perfect, but you can strive to have one that benefits as many citizens as possible and causes harm to as few citizens as possible. In order to achieve this, some very simple and powerful principles have been put into practice: free-speech and the free exchange of ideas; the citizen as an individual; a merit based society with equal opportunity for all citizens; the principle that all citizens are equal under the law; a basic social safety net so that no citizen will starve or go without basic medical care; and the idea that citizens are free to hold and express their own ideas and beliefs and that the state will not mandate beliefs or statements.

I think the goal of m103 is in support of that purpose. The wording of the bill does broadly apply to all types of discrimination. It does single out islamophobia but thats most likely a response to the increase in that type of discrimination in our country. It isn't as much of a problem here as it is to the south, but as with everything that happens in the states canada receives a bit of cultural transfer. Maybe the jumped the gun in seeing it as an issue, maybe the data suggests that it was a problem in the making and the most prudent solution was to nip it in the bud. Overall though I don't think a bill thats trying to create a less discriminatory environment for fellow canadians is impacting freedom of speech.

You'll still be free to discuss and debate the finer points of islamic belief if thats a topic you so choose to discuss, just like with judaism, christianity, buddhism and every other belief system. We just have to avoid discriminatory or hate based speaking, its not a hard thing. I honestly don't think 99% of the people interested in this "freedom of speech violation" have any interest in debating islamic belief structure anyway so its sort of a moot point.
So much of the violent push-back on everything progressive and reformist comes down to: I can see the future, and in this future I am not the centre of the universe and master of all that I survey, therefore this future must be resisted at all costs.
Ken7
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Ken7 »

coriaselton wrote:

How does Trudeau reconcile his claim of "male feminism" with that of his support for an ideology which undertakes brutal repression and violence towards females? PM Trudeau, which side are you on? You can't have it both ways.   

If you believe that free speech is important, than you have a moral obligation to yourself to question what is happening to free speech. Courage is in short supply these days and its absence is not improving our society. Will Canada continue to be a free and open country, or will we be afraid to have an opinion? Fear is the greatest form of control.

I'd suggest so that Politically this party shows they are so warm and fuzzy to the Islamic community. Sure will look good come next election won't it.

The Laws of Canada already deal with what M103 is and what is beyond my understanding is why it was necessary.

On this note, when a Mosque is attacked we see our Prime Minister on National TV condemning this act. When we see a Catholic Church one of the older religions in Canada attacked days before one of their more significant religious celebrations what do we hear. We hear nothing from the mouth of our Prime Minister and I have to ask why?

Again this lack of concern and action is beyond my understanding.
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

jt is disgusting that simple..... he has f :cuss: canada

Return to “Canada”