jimmy4321
Guru

Jobs!!, Jobs!!, Jobs!!

Post by jimmy4321 »

dle
Lord of the Board

Re: Jobs!!, Jobs!!, Jobs!!

Post by dle »

I thought so too when I first read it...then I read it again and noticed something interesting historically lately....seems just before the BOC is about to make an announcement about rate increases, there APPEARS to be a huge increase in job creation, or a surprise surge in new business etc and everything looks so rosy. Re-reading though it also says while there is an increase of all these new jobs, just as many were lost in different sectors, and in part-time work. They seem to say they base their rate increases in large part on an increase in wages. Well the ones getting the mysterious new jobs will get an increase but the ones losing their jobs, part-time or not, are losing theirs, so using wage increases as a key in determining increases doesn't seem quite right. I think a key consideration should be increases in things like food, hydro, gas, etc - pretty much the necessities. The people who have lost their jobs should be more concerning to the Fed because these increases are going to be out of reach for those who lost their jobs. Unemployment benefits only last so long.

I say to the government "prove it" - name names for example of all the companies that hired all these people and how many they hired in the last 2 months that they announce right before the decisions. Not just a vague announcement "like 30,000+ jobs were created". THEN at the same time, tell the other side of the story - who left, who lost jobs, who closed down etc.

Higher interest rates right now are needed - but not every time the BOC meets, especially in light of all the jobs lost, the uncertainty with NAFTA as Trump plays his tiddlywink game of President. Once the pipelines are actually happening, even though it looks good for jobs there, that fight isn't quite over yet either. Lots to consider.

IMHO, I'm not going to do any happy dance over this kind of announcement as the timing has become suspect to me - not the first time! I voted Liberal, but I'm starting to learn that smoke and mirrors is a good part of their game so I'm paying more attention.....
Catsumi
Buddha of the Board

Post by Catsumi »

Yes, it is a shell game that has been played for a long time with Cons and Libs equally.
Sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice. There’s a certain point at which ignorance becomes malice, at which there is simply no way to become THAT ignorant except deliberately and maliciously.

Unknown
dle
Lord of the Board

Post by dle »

Catsumi wrote:Yes, it is a shell game that has been played for a long time with Cons and Libs equally.

Every candidate for office in every party is totally affronted with the suggestion their party could be anything less than transparent in sticking to the facts, just the facts, and nothing but the facts. Then they post things like this and seem to forget that we do read the business section once in a while, and follow what the BOC is up to and some of it actually registers with us amid all the gobbeldygook, and darned it we don't remember it down the road!

That's why politics is, as you call it, a shell game - game being the operative word. It's all nonsense and if a party is really sincere in trying to be transparent they have to stop the games and bs - and make a noticeable difference in that arena. None of them have the guts IMHO.....

Return to “Canada”