Humboldt Broncos - Where will the money go?

oneh2obabe
feistres Goruchaf y Bwrdd

Humboldt Broncos - Where will the money go?

Post by oneh2obabe »

Team will face 'complex and very emotional decisions,' fundraising expert says.

The outpouring of support, which has generated more money than any other GoFundMe campaign in Canadian history, is "a great gift" to the victims of the tragedy, said Daryl Hatton, CEO of FundRazr, a Vancouver-based online fundraising platform. (FundRazr is a competitor to GoFundMe).

It also presents some "very complex and very emotional decisions" for the team, Hatton said.

"You've got to balance a whole set of criteria of, 'What is a life worth? What was the future income of this life worth? What's it going to cost to have all of the different medical treatments done to support people?'" he said.

"These are some really young guys and some of them had the potential for a career in the NHL. Their future income that they may have lost, that their families maybe [were] starting to count on, has evaporated."

Because the deaths and injuries resulted from a road accident in Saskatchewan, many costs will be covered by SGI, the province's public insurance program.

"We do have a very comprehensive no-fault program," said SGI president Andrew Cartmell. "I think it's one of the best in the country."

Benefits available for people who are injured range from travel and accommodation costs for families visiting their loved ones in hospital to long-term rehabilitation and "trying to get the person back to ... their previous standard of living," he said.

Full story
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/saskatche ... -1.4618582
Dance as if no one's watching, sing as if no one's listening, and live everyday as if it were your last.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
Urban Cowboy
Guru

Re: Humboldt Broncos - Where will the money go?

Post by Urban Cowboy »

The lawyers are working for free so that's good news.
“Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost" - Tolkien
Farmmaa
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Farmmaa »

"These are some really young guys and some of them had the potential for a career in the NHL. Their future income that they may have lost, that their families maybe [were] starting to count on, has evaporated."

OK, sorry. Just...no.
Parents shouldn't ever be sitting back counting on the potential earnings of their kids to retire on.
This league, this level of hockey in all provinces is not a ticket to the big league. Far from it.
The vast majority, if they go on from Jr A at all, will go on to play college hockey...that is what the provincial Jr leagues promote.

The only families that were directly affected by any future income are the loved ones of the adults on that bus who had family's of their own to support here and now.

Potential future income of 16-20 year olds is not a factor...in anything.

The families of the deceased do indeed deserve compensation - but most certainly not based on the 'what if Jonny makes it to the NHL one day' dream.
Treblehook
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Treblehook »

A nonsense discussion at this juncture.
Bpeep
Mindquad

Post by Bpeep »

Future earnings are typically considered in an insurance claim.
Hence a 60 year old has different earning potential than a 20 year old.
Also a 30 year old with 3 degrees making 280 k has different future earning potential than that of a 30 year old high school grad whose history proves a ten year career at 30k a year.

Like I said earlier, disbursing this money is complex and a web site host and a hockey club administration are in no way qualified to equitably disburse it.
Seeking the apartment that is creating leasing interest concerns knowledgeable seclusive morons excessively.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Farmmaa wrote:OK, sorry. Just...no.
Parents shouldn't ever be sitting back counting on the potential earnings of their kids to retire on.

I've been thinking about this statement and I didn't read that into the statement "that their families maybe [were] starting to count on". I know I was relieved when my children finally obtained their careers knowing their future is bright and their earnings would enable them to save and provide for themselves barring unforeseen circumstances as what happened in this case. Counting on potential earnings of their kids is for the kids to retire on and this will not happen now for any of them most likely.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
just popping in
Lord of the Board

Post by just popping in »

Urban Cowboy wrote:The lawyers are working for free so that's good news.

I hope any professionals involved in this are working for free, unlike charity organizations who take their operation costs first. Such a sad situation.

Return to “Canada”