Offshore drilling set to begin

Merry
Walks on Forum Water

Re: Offshore drilling set to begin

Post by Merry »

Cactusflower wrote: People have to go where the work is

Yes, they do. I know that better than many, having travelled thousands of miles for work. BUT families should not be forced to split up when it's not necessary. If there's work to be had in their home province, then surely that is a better option than denying them the opportunity to do that work, and forcing them elsewhere?
"In a world swathed in political correctness, the voting booth remains the final sanctuary where the people are free to speak" - Clifford Orwin
Smurf
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Smurf »

Cactusflower wrote:

Well Merry, it looks like the usual suspects who wish to turn every discussion into a political argument have left the B.C. thread and decided to spew their venom here, so I'll be leaving for more interesting public opinion forums (after I get back from the beach, that is :biggrin: ).

[color=#FF0000]Going to drive your EV that has it's moving parts lubricated by petroleum products and has a large amount of petroleum products used in it's production. Seats, dash, batteries. Probably transported to it's original point of sale by a petroleum burning vehicle. [icon_lol2.gif] [/color]

But before I go, I'd just like to say that you can't have your cake and eat it too.
See above.
You can't have your entire family living in the same town as was the practice in our grandparents' era. People have to go where the work is, not try to bring the work to them, especially when the work involves an industry that is (thankfully) being phased out. Governments and industries must change with the times, and the time to switch to clean alternative energy is now.

I saw in the news quite some time ago that the Bay of Fundy has become a wonderful source of tidal power. There is much more potential for green energy projects in the maritime provinces; it just takes political will to make it happen. Unfortunately, except for the provinces of BC, ON, and PQ, the political will is non-existent.

I remember them experimenting with the Bay of Fundy 40 or so years ago and they are still trying to get it right. I would not be too dependent an that one any time soon.

So please Merry, do not jump on board the AB bitumen and off-shore drilling bandwagon just because you want families to stay together and play together. Consider the consequences before going down that road.
Consider how hard it is to change yourself and you'll understand what little chance you have of changing others.

The happiest of people don't necessarily have the best of everything, they just make the most of everything that comes their way.
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

For any BC resident to go for those rig jobs, they would have to leave the rest of their family at home in BC to avoid the "vacant home tax".
Jobs are scarce in BC and this tax will break-up families. Dad will have to go East for a job while Mom and the kids stay at home to protect their residential asset.
Somebody want to tell tell me how this NDP government is good for family life?
Bring back the LIKE button.
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Post by The Green Barbarian »

Cactusflower wrote:
No it's not. Being human is wanting your descendants to grow up in a healthy environment,

Most people want this.

rather than know that they'll be spending their lives struggling to stay alive amid he floods, droughts, wildfires, and devastating storms that are the cause of their ancestors who didn't believe in climate change, or didn't care.

fear-mongering nonsense.
"The woke narcissists who make up the progressive left are characterized by an absolute lack of such conscience, but are experts at exploiting its presence in others." - Jordan Peterson
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Cactusflower wrote:https://www.castanet.net/news/Canada/224318/Offshore-drilling-set-to-begin
The Nova Scotia petroleum regulator approved this? Has he never heard of BP's Deepwater Horizon disaster in the Gulf of Mexico? It cost $65 Billion and years to clean that up, it was never cleaned up successfully, and BP fought it for years.

Did you hear there was a bus crash near Tisdale Saskatchewan two weeks ago. I expect that using the same logic, you now want to ban all bus travel in Canada, because of this one extremely horrible incident. If not, why not?

Is there something in the drinking water back there in eastern Canada that makes people go insane, or is it just a matter of greed?

Most of Canada right now wants to know what is in the drinking water of the insane lunatics in BC that are against the KM pipeline. And they have a very valid point.
"The woke narcissists who make up the progressive left are characterized by an absolute lack of such conscience, but are experts at exploiting its presence in others." - Jordan Peterson
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Cactusflower wrote:
But before I go, I'd just like to say that you can't have your cake and eat it too. .

oh the irony. Oh the pure sweet irony.

I saw in the news quite some time ago that the Bay of Fundy has become a wonderful source of tidal power. There is much more potential for green energy projects in the maritime provinces; it just takes political will to make it happen. Unfortunately, except for the provinces of BC, ON, and PQ, the political will is non-existent.

This is just so freaking dense. It's not about "political will", it's about how totally economically unviable tidal power is. I doubt you "saw in the news" that the Bay of Fundy is a "wonderful source of tidal power". If you saw this at all (and given your penchant for constant prevarication, it's doubtful) this would only have been "news" on some sort of deranged propaganda site like DeSmog, where truth is non-existent and no one can do math. Anyone pushing tidal power is either an evil shyster, or a brainless dufus.

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-wales-politics-38236014

Massive tidal turbine in Bay of Fundy generating electricity for 1st time
Turbine can power up to 500 homes — but the electricity is some of the costliest ever produced in N.S.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-scot ... -1.3862227
Cactusflower
Banned

Post by Cactusflower »

Hello again, usual suspects. And as usual you choose the oldest story you could find on Google. Fast forward a year, and here's what you'll find:
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-scot ... -1.4342068
Smurf
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Smurf »

So what are you trying to point out Cactusflower? Is it exactly what I said that they are still in the experimental stage after 40 or 50 years, because that is what I see.

The McNeil government is keen to send the signal Nova Scotia is open for business, and is paving the way for companies that want to test small tidal turbines to have almost unlimited access to the world's strongest tides.

The amendment to the Marine Renewable-energy Act will allow the province to issue [color=#FF0000]tidal demonstration permits [/color]anywhere in the Bay of Fundy to companies with turbines able to generate up to five megawatts of power

Looks like they will also be subsidizing them on tax payers dollars. Isn't that a surprise, government paying big business like some on here seem to hate so much. One problem is in this case they don't know if they will ever get any return for their dollar or just an expense as is the case with most alternative energy payouts.

Five megawatts is equivalent to the power generated by two large wind turbines, and tidal companies will be able to connect to a power grid and sell energy at a premium price.

This is totally experimental.

The only grid-connected tidal turbine in the Bay of Fundy recently has been two-megawatt turbine operated by Cape Sharp Tidal Venture. It was deployed in November and retrieved from the Minas Passage in mid-June so the company could make upgrades.

I agree with testing, experimenting, but don't try to make it sound like it is a break through. It is still experimenting the same as it was decades ago. Hopefully it doesn't turn into another huge experiment gone wrong, similar to Southern Australia. A lot of the east coast has enough problems without blowing their electrical prices sky high so that people and businesses have to disconnect from the grid and some to even turn to diesel generators for power like Australia.
Consider how hard it is to change yourself and you'll understand what little chance you have of changing others.

The happiest of people don't necessarily have the best of everything, they just make the most of everything that comes their way.
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

Let's not forget the enviro-nuts are trying to stop these experiments as well.

Quoted from the supplied reading list.
The turbine has been source of controversy. Earlier this year, a Bay of Fundy fishermen's group, concerned the turbine could cause environmental harm,
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

and the usual suspect comes on here and hangs herself by posting the actual truth. What else is new:

Five megawatts is equivalent to the power generated by two large wind turbines, and tidal companies will be able to connect to a power grid and sell energy at a premium price.

Once again, corporate welfare being paid out for bad ideas, at taxpayer expense. What else is new. Just ridiculous.
Cactusflower
Banned

Post by Cactusflower »

Smurf wrote:So what are you trying to point out Cactusflower? Is it exactly what I said that they are still in the experimental stage after 40 or 50 years, because that is what I see.

The McNeil government is keen to send the signal Nova Scotia is open for business, and is paving the way for companies that want to test small tidal turbines to have almost unlimited access to the world's strongest tides.

The amendment to the Marine Renewable-energy Act will allow the province to issue [color=#FF0000]tidal demonstration permits [/color]anywhere in the Bay of Fundy to companies with turbines able to generate up to five megawatts of power

Looks like they will also be subsidizing them on tax payers dollars. Isn't that a surprise, government paying big business like some on here seem to hate so much. One problem is in this case they don't know if they will ever get any return for their dollar or just an expense as is the case with most alternative energy payouts.

Must you always see the glass as half empty, Smurf? Name one 'breakthrough' that wasn't expensive at the outset. Tidal energy is an excellent source of power in many coastal jurisdictions. It's a shame nobody's utilizing it in Seymour Narrows and the Skookumchuck rapids, just to name a couple of many places in B.C.

This is totally experimental.

The only grid-connected tidal turbine in the Bay of Fundy recently has been two-megawatt turbine operated by Cape Sharp Tidal Venture. It was deployed in November and retrieved from the Minas Passage in mid-June so the company could make upgrades.

I agree with testing, experimenting, but don't try to make it sound like it is a break through. It is still experimenting the same as it was decades ago. Hopefully it doesn't turn into another huge experiment gone wrong, similar to Southern Australia. A lot of the east coast has enough problems without blowing their electrical prices sky high so that people and businesses have to disconnect from the grid and some to even turn to diesel generators for power like Australia.
Cactusflower
Banned

Post by Cactusflower »

It looks like my comment was not posted, for whatever reason, so I'll try to re-post it.

My friend Smurf seems to be a 'glass-half-empty' kind of guy who reads negativity in news items that I find encouraging.
B.C. has many areas that are suitable for tidal energy projects; Seymour Narrows, Skookumchuck Rapids, 'Tremble Island', etc. Hopefully, now that we have a more environmentally-friendly government in power, some of these projects will be initiated.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Cactusflower wrote: People have to go where the work is

And there are many people from Nova Scotia working in Northern Alberta right now.

Merry wrote:Yes, they do. I know that better than many, having travelled thousands of miles for work. BUT families should not be forced to split up when it's not necessary. If there's work to be had in their home province, then surely that is a better option than denying them the opportunity to do that work, and forcing them elsewhere?

Those coming west would love the opportunity to make the same wages back in their home province of Nova Scotia.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Cactusflower wrote:Hello again, usual suspects. And as usual you choose the oldest story you could find on Google. Fast forward a year, and here's what you'll find:

Has the cost decreased?
The electricity being generated is some of the most expensive ever produced in Nova Scotia, costing $530 per megawatt hour versus the current average of $60 per megawatt hour.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-scot ... -1.3862227

You don't hear much about the drilling off Newfoundland.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

Cactusflower wrote:It looks like my comment was not posted, for whatever reason, so I'll try to re-post it.

My friend Smurf seems to be a 'glass-half-empty' kind of guy who reads negativity in news items that I find encouraging.
B.C. has many areas that are suitable for tidal energy projects; Seymour Narrows, Skookumchuck Rapids, 'Tremble Island', etc. Hopefully, now that we have a more environmentally-friendly government in power, some of these projects will be initiated.

But, but, but......what about the fish.....and the whales? Think of the fish and the whales, for the love of dog!

They haven't even done any of the testing yet on the East coast, where the strongest tidal currents in the world are. Why would they need sea powered generation when we have a big, shiny, new hydro-electric dam coming online soon?

Maybe the East coast could sell some of their excess power to Alberta? Oh, wait.....that would take transmission lines and the enviro-nuts will object to that too.

Return to “Canada”