Taxpayers to Fund Pipeline

hobbyguy
Buddha of the Board

Re: Taxpayers to Fund Pipeline

Post by hobbyguy »

burnedatstake wrote:how exactly do you hold a political party accountable by giving them your vote blindly? if you vote right - you are right. plain and simple. their transgressions become your own. i own that when i vote left. for some here - they think they can rationalize their partisanship by saying that they hold the right accountable by sending a letter or phone call to their mla. but when your vote is cast so is the mandate. like i said. if you vote right - own it and stop saying that you are not.

Spoken like a true non thinker far left fringe leftie. Everybody is to your right so you can't see past the end of your nose and realize that there is a balance.

Jagmeet opposes the pipeline and spews garbage from the LEAP manifesto... and the NDP are failing. Why? Because most people actually think about issues instead of reaching for the little red book. The phony Green* parties around the world are losing support rapidly - even in Sweden. Why? Because they are unbalanced!

The far left, the NDP and the LEAPers are decidedly unbalanced, and will never form government for that exact reason.

JT and crew hit the right balance with responsible economic development. The key word is responsible - a word not found in the little red book of the NDP and or the lunacy of the LEAPers.

The pipeline will be built, by this government or the next, but it will be built. We will have the far leftie fringes like the NDP/LEAP and the soylent Green* "party" to thank for the extra billion$ in cost. Way to go obstructionist far lefties!
The middle path - everything in moderation, and everything in its time and order.
burnedatstake
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by burnedatstake »

so....you are a right winger then.....? you give yourself too much credit as usual. which reminds me of the religious right. i read partisanly therefore i am more educated and wise.
the capitalist idea of liberty is that one persons right to profit can be greater than another persons right to live.
burnedatstake
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by burnedatstake »

and nothing is ruined besides right wing agendas. which is just fine. economy is fine. surplusses. jobs. and on and on. so......what you consider bad - is just fantasy. as usual.
the capitalist idea of liberty is that one persons right to profit can be greater than another persons right to live.
Merry
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Merry »

The following article is well worth the read, because it reminds us that it is mainly Parliament's inaction that has allowed the current situation to develop.
https://www.theglobeandmail.com/opinion ... e-impasse/

It's time for our elected politicians to "get off the fence" and take a stand. Whichever side their new legislation supports, at least we'll know and can then respond appropriately come the next election. I think BOTH sides of this pipeline fight can agree with that, because this endless uncertainty and battling through the courts is costing us all a fortune, and not satisfying anybody.

It's time for Trudeau to either "poop or get off the pot" on this issue, and stop trying to appease both sides. Because that strategy simply isn't working.
"In a world swathed in political correctness, the voting booth remains the final sanctuary where the people are free to speak" - Clifford Orwin
hobbyguy
Buddha of the Board

Post by hobbyguy »

Merry wrote:The following article is well worth the read, because it reminds us that it is mainly Parliament's inaction that has allowed the current situation to develop.
https://www.theglobeandmail.com/opinion ... e-impasse/

It's time for our elected politicians to "get off the fence" and take a stand. Whichever side their new legislation supports, at least we'll know and can then respond appropriately come the next election. I think BOTH sides of this pipeline fight can agree with that, because this endless uncertainty and battling through the courts is costing us all a fortune, and not satisfying anybody.

It's time for Trudeau to either "poop or get off the pot" on this issue, and stop trying to appease both sides. Because that strategy simply isn't working.

I saw a comment somewhere that some FNs don't want "reconciliation" - they want "retaliation".

It is a complex mess. I agree with Jody Wilson-Raybould when she says there should only be about 20 "First Nations" in BC. I also find that the concept of "Indian Act Chiefs" may or may not enter the picture. The "Indian Act" is archaic and separates FN peoples from the rest of Canada. It sounds to me like Perry Bellegarde would like to change that, but there are entrenched interests in maintaining the status quo of the archaic Indian Act and its resultant fracturing of First Nations.

We have been trying for decades now to deal with this mess. Some, like the Haida, have indeed dealt with much of it, but for whatever reasons(s) there are groups - or at least the power brokers within groups - that simply don't want to.

in that sense, the pipeline controversy is very useful. It has exposed the dividing lines, made the issues clear, and exposed the anarchist antics of the likes of the village idiot George Heyman.

This is, unfortunately, not a situation where the government can successfully dictate. Harper and Oliver tried and failed in that approach. There are no simple answers. Fine and dandy for a hypothetical person sitting in an ivory tower to pontificate, but not all of the issues are rational - or may stem from a rationality that that is not fully understood.

I have seen it business environments, where you a bad environment and culture - and people try to change it by dictate and quickly. Doesn't work. There is no substitute for hard work and time in arriving at a more harmonious and productive environment. Point blank - part of that is firing some employees who are toxic to the productive environment. You can't do that in this situation.

It will take time, but we will get a template out of this pipeline nonsense. One that realistically only makes sense, time wise, in the context of government ownership (no private company will invest given the moving goalposts).

There is no shortcut, there is no "getting off the pot". There is just difficult and time consuming hard work. Part of it may be legislation - designed to provoke a constitutional challenge, in order to clarify the envelope - but even that will take time.
The middle path - everything in moderation, and everything in its time and order.
ninetyninepct
Fledgling

Post by ninetyninepct »

Catsumi wrote:
normaM wrote:well the friendship is over. " it was"
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmonton ... -1.4811147

Notley in photos in link appears she'd love to rip the Airhead throat to navel, doesn't even trust herself to shake his hand.
Gotta admire her self control after being promised MORE studies and recommendations. JT and Horgan have so much in common.

Notley really screwed up establishing her carbon tax based on a Trudeau promise. She should have said she would seriously consider a carbon tax once oil was flowing in the East & West pipelines.
Gone_Fishin
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Gone_Fishin »

Ottawa is blowing up energy regulation at the worst possible time for pipelines

Opinion: Bill C-69 would, at huge cost, seriously disrupt the regulatory process at a time when stability is central to the Canada’s national interest

Ron Wallace and Rowland Harrison
September 12, 2018

The federal government’s $4.5-billion purchase of the Trans Mountain pipeline from Kinder Morgan Canada was meant to overcome political uncertainty. The Federal Court of Appeal’s recent decision overturning the approval for the pipeline’s expansion has significantly changed the economic and political calculus.

Alberta Premier Rachel Notley has announced that until the project is put back on track, her province no longer intends to participate in the federal climate plan. She declared that any climate change plan must be “paired with very intentional efforts to build our economy, to create jobs, and to support Alberta” — meaning a completed pipeline. Firmly placing the bell on the federal cat, she insisted that: “… the federal government is going to have to use its legislative authority to speed the process along.”

snip

The regulatory failings identified by the courts have consistently originated not with proponents, but with agencies of the federal government.

In a classic example of the cure being worse than the disease, this intolerable circumstance is about to be made worse through the introduction of Bill C-69, which is expected to be debated by the Senate this month. The bill proposes, at the worst possible time, a massive regulatory change for the now seriously compromised Trans Mountain pipeline expansion. At this juncture, the federal government should quickly disabuse itself of any notion that passage of Bill C-69 might constitute a solution to its problems with the Trans Mountain process, or any future resource development applications. Indeed, the proposed act would, at huge cost, disrupt and seriously exacerbate the current regulatory process at a time when institutional stability is central to the Canadian national interest.

Continued regulatory chaos compromises Canadian competitiveness and risks further damage to Canada’s international reputation for capital investment. Senior Canadian financial experts have repeatedly called attention to the accelerating capital exodus from Canada. Imperial Oil Chairman Rich Kruger recently described the Canadian energy sector as being surrounded by a “cloud of uncertainty.” The recent appeals court decision has transformed that cloud into a storm. Meanwhile, costly Canadian oil exports by rail have reached record levels with heavy oil producers projected to lose an estimated $15.8 billion this year alone in forgone revenues. This constitutes a loss of 0.7 per cent to the Canadian GDP.

It would be irresponsible for the government, in the midst of this economic, regulatory and legal chaos, to proceed with passage of the seriously flawed Bill C-69 to establish a new Canadian Energy Regulator and a new Impact Assessment Agency. Aside from the disruption this would cause in the midst of what has developed into a national economic and leadership crisis, Bill C-69 promises to deliver an untested, uncertain and far more complex regulatory process for all federally permitted resource projects. Worse, the legislation allows Cabinet the discretion to choose among major projects at the end of costly and increasingly undefined assessments. Canada has already seen the consequences of major regulatory disruption with the Energy East debacle. We can choose to make incremental improvements to the existing regulators — or risk another significant regulatory disruption.

Just prior to the recent Federal Court of Appeal’s decision on Trans Mountain, Martha Hall Findlay, president of the Canada West Foundation, argued convincingly that Bill C-69 “needs a reboot”: “Now is not the time to pass legislation that could make our investment climate even worse,” she said. Instead, she offered a sensible solution: that “…the government recognize that, due to forces beyond its control, it needs a new mandate to focus on economic issues, with a new Throne Speech in the fall. A side benefit would be the opportunity for the government to re-boot C-69 in the new session with a better bill.”

Canada cannot now afford the distractive, high-minded legislative experiments characterized by Bill C-69. At a time of cascading urgent economic and political necessities, the Senate should stop this bill in its tracks and advise the government to focus first on resolving longstanding problems of its own creation and that it put aside process discussions and deal with increasingly serious challenges to Canada’s economy. If Bill C-69 is what achieving the government’s so-called “balance” between the environment and the economy looks like, Canadians would be right to be suspicious that they’re being led down the kind of pathways that have led to the precipitous decline of other once-prosperous nations.

https://business.financialpost.com/opin ... ments-area
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

A smaller government makes room for bigger citizens.

"We know that Russia must win this war." ~ Justin Trudeau, Feb 26, 2024.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

It looks like now that Trudeau is considering gifting the pipeline to First Nations to get it built...

According to a new Toronto Sun report by Anthony Furey, the Trudeau government is “actively considering gifting the Trans Mountain pipeline to First Nations groups”.

The report from the Sun states that a senior Liberal government source has told Post Media that

“The possibility of giving the pipeline to First Nations (or at least a share of Trans Mountain) has come up at cabinet level”.

According to the report, the government has thought ahead enough to state that if done a part or all of the pipeline would be placed in a trust that would then use the proceeds to fund First Nations projects.

https://thenectarine.ca/politics/trudea ... t-nations/
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
seewood
Guru

Post by seewood »

Glacier wrote:It looks like now that Trudeau is considering gifting the pipeline to First Nations to get it built...

I hope it only goes as far as "considering". I do not pay my taxes to GIVE away a resource that should be for ALL Canadians. :swear:
I am not wealthy but I am rich
Catsumi
Buddha of the Board

Post by Catsumi »

Another day, another nitwit idea out of Ottawa.
Sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice. There’s a certain point at which ignorance becomes malice, at which there is simply no way to become THAT ignorant except deliberately and maliciously.

Unknown
floppi
Lord of the Board

Post by floppi »

Glacier wrote:It looks like now that Trudeau is considering gifting the pipeline to First Nations to get it built...

According to a new Toronto Sun report by Anthony Furey, the Trudeau government is “actively considering gifting the Trans Mountain pipeline to First Nations groups”.

The report from the Sun states that a senior Liberal government source has told Post Media that

“The possibility of giving the pipeline to First Nations (or at least a share of Trans Mountain) has come up at cabinet level”.

According to the report, the government has thought ahead enough to state that if done a part or all of the pipeline would be placed in a trust that would then use the proceeds to fund First Nations projects.

https://thenectarine.ca/politics/trudea ... t-nations/

:spitcoffee: I'm thinking if a senior Liberal government source told anything to Post Media it's gotta be fake news. In the link, the proposal was initiated by the First Nations group so I'm sure that would be the ideal senario for them but realistically how is that going to be implementated? I have to rate the story or the likelihood it will happen at "full of balony".
jimmy4321
Guru

Post by jimmy4321 »

As of Oct 4 sounds like FAKE NEWS to me.
Should be called The Unicorn or The Mermaid not some fruit.

Return to “Canada”