Hackers got into BMO & CIBC’s Simplii Financial

Hackers got into BMO & CIBC’s Simplii Financial

Postby GordonH » May 30th, 2018, 3:40 pm

The thing that caught my attention on the news was these hackers also got a hold of clients Social Insurance numbers.
I'm sorry only a complete f :cuss: moron give there banking institution that number.
Only government agencies & for taxation & deduction purposes my employer i.e T4's, get my SIN.

https://globalnews.ca/news/4238897/bmo- ... formation/
When you have to start compromising yourself and your morals for the people around you, it’s probably time to change the people around you.
GordonH
Buddha of the Board

Liked in: 7641 posts
Location: Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning

Re: Hackers got into BMO & CIBC’s Simplii Financial

Postby Jflem1983 » May 30th, 2018, 4:30 pm

Sounds like im caught up in this. Got an email today. Thats yahoo and now BMO. Hope there is a pay off for all this lax security. The yahoo one is probably worse
Now they want to take our guns away . That would be just fine. Take em away from the criminals first . Ill gladly give u mine. "Charlie Daniels"

You have got to stand for something . Or you will fall for anything "Aaron Tippin"
Jflem1983
Guru

Liked in: 3198 posts

Postby Catsumi » May 30th, 2018, 5:45 pm

With respect, GordonH, I believe you must give your SIN to your banking institution?
There is nothing government can give you that it hasn't taken from you in the first place.
Winston Churchill
Catsumi
Lord of the Board

Liked in: 2664 posts

Postby GordonH » May 30th, 2018, 5:52 pm

Catsumi wrote:With respect, GordonH, I believe you must give your SIN to your banking institution? Nope, read the following

When don’t I have to provide my SIN?
Some organizations ask for the SIN for reasons unrelated to income reporting purposes – often because it is a simple method of identification.

While this is not recommended, there is no law preventing private-sector organizations from asking for the SIN for other purposes such as identification.

In these cases, you are under no obligation to provide your SIN. Just because someone asks for your SIN, it doesn’t mean that you have to provide it.

On its website, Service Canada lists some examples of when you do not need to provide your SIN.

This is from here: https://www.priv.gc.ca/en/privacy-topic ... ce-number/
When you have to start compromising yourself and your morals for the people around you, it’s probably time to change the people around you.
GordonH
Buddha of the Board

Postby oneh2obabe » May 30th, 2018, 7:13 pm

From the link you provided. Banks routinely ask for your SIN when you open an account which earns interest or income which is reported to CRA at year end.

Who can ask for your SIN
The most common uses of your SIN are for:
*financial institutions from which you earn interest or income (for example, banks, credit unions, trust companies)
Last edited by oneh2obabe on May 31st, 2018, 5:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dance as if no one's watching, sing as if no one's listening, and live everyday as if it were your last.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.

2 people like this post.
oneh2obabe
feistres Goruchaf y Bwrdd

Liked in: 6074 posts

Postby Catsumi » May 30th, 2018, 7:20 pm

^^^So then, you MUST provide SIN to your bank or credit union, correct?
There is nothing government can give you that it hasn't taken from you in the first place.
Winston Churchill

normaM likes this post.
Catsumi
Lord of the Board

Postby Gone_Fishin » May 30th, 2018, 7:42 pm

Banks are legally required to report your investment earnings to CRA and issue T3's and T5's, and must have your SIN to do so.
Ecclesiastes 10:2 "A wise man’s heart inclines him to the right, but a fool’s heart to the left."

normaM likes this post.
Gone_Fishin
Lord of the Board

Liked in: 3579 posts

Postby Catsumi » May 30th, 2018, 7:54 pm

There was a reason I highlighted the SIN issue, a sensitive number to be only shared with employer, bank, gov't taxing agency, investment portfolio managers, etc.

Some of you may recall my hysteria when our outside group mailboxes were trashed earlier this spring. When I realized that my OAS/CPP slip was missing (and presumed stolen in mailbox break in) I was told that a thief would have no use for the number, that I was frantic over nothing. After all the stories we have heard about stolen identities, I question that and still do.

Our info is not safe and secure, as witness this thread. ID thieves, I believe, are on the hunt for this private information that we MUST share but are helpless to protect once in the hands of those we HAD to share with, by law.

All the password change protocol and hoops we jump through, are all b.s. We are sitting ducks. Duck!
Winston Churchill
Catsumi
Lord of the Board

Postby GordonH » May 30th, 2018, 8:06 pm

Okay, my bad I've never given that information over to them. I guess I have questions to be asking my accountant.

Well, then maybe these financial institutions should spend more of those monster profits on much better firewalls. To protect the clients information that has been entrusted to them.
GordonH
Buddha of the Board

Postby Catsumi » May 30th, 2018, 8:35 pm

Sounds good, but as with everything, the crooks are two jumps ahead.
Winston Churchill
Catsumi
Lord of the Board

Postby oldtrucker » May 30th, 2018, 8:51 pm

I have a solution to it all.
It's called a piece of paper,...good luck hacking it.
Until info is made un-hackable, all institutions including the CRA that handle sensitive info should go back to hard copy paper.
Any place that loses info to hackers should be accountable for all monetary, time and any form of hardship caused to the victim.
Some may view my above politically incorrect opinions as 'harsh' and may even be offended by them. Some think political correctness will be our undoing.

Jflem1983 likes this post.
oldtrucker
Übergod

Liked in: 647 posts

Postby jimmy4321 » May 31st, 2018, 1:00 am

Personal "paper" data been found in & out of dumpsters by some government office.
I'm certain ive heard those news stories in the past on BC news
jimmy4321
Lord of the Board

Liked in: 1872 posts

Postby Chyren » May 31st, 2018, 4:44 am

I wonder if those people that got hacked are charged a "got hacked at the bank" service fee by the bank? :biggrin:

Jflem1983 likes this post.
Chyren
Board Meister

Liked in: 330 posts

Postby normaM » May 31st, 2018, 5:24 am

My Bank's security Qs when I call are amusing because if the crooks have my info they'd KNOW the answers, right?
I'm more concerned about the security of my credit cards.. have been skimmed before
Don't think yourself as an ugly person... Think of yourself as a beautiful monkey
normaM
Buddha of the Board

Liked in: 3395 posts

Postby Catsumi » May 31st, 2018, 5:15 pm

^^^ good point NormaM, as those credit cards we haul around are not safe from hacks either.

It makes me laugh (well, not really) when I take the time to phone Mcard to tell them I will be travelling and to where, and they hit me with twenty probing questions as if I were trying to purchase Louisiana. I really think they are fishing for more info on me. For crying out loud, all I want is for them to realize it's ME that MAY use the damn card at a location that normally I do not purchase, as per the cardholder agreement, terms and conditions. Why do they make it into a hurdle jumping exercise? Makes me want to go back to cash so I don't have to be quizzed when I decide to trip around.

This is their poor excuse for security? Totally bizarre, uncalled for and completely unnecessary. The call center can see on their screens that I am calling from my home phone number plus all the info I have keyed in! Good gawd, Claude.

In the meantime, you can change your PIN every day to no avail if THEIR site is hacked. WE are scrambling then to stopgap, spend our time, making sure as best we can that our private info remains private. But NOOOOOO.....there it is, out there for scammers to use.

Something terribly wrong here with this picture IMO.

Hostile? Me?

Yes!
Winston Churchill
Catsumi
Lord of the Board

Next

Return to Canada