Trudeau blows $3.8 billion overseas while Canadians starve

Re: Trudeau blows $3.8 billion overseas while Canadians star

Postby Smurf » Jun 18th, 2018, 5:34 am

I believe there is a reason JT does not like to show up on the floor of the legislature and it is not because he is too busy working elsewhere. Probably to much picking on him and not enough glorification for all his worldly promises.
Consider how hard it is to change yourself and you'll understand what little chance you have of changing others.

The happiest of people don't necessarily have the best of everything, they just make the most of everything that comes their way.

4 people like this post.
Smurf
Guru

Liked in: 5973 posts

Postby Gone_Fishin » Jun 18th, 2018, 11:27 am

Smurf wrote:I believe there is a reason JT does not like to show up on the floor of the legislature and it is not because he is too busy working elsewhere. Probably to much picking on him and not enough glorification for all his worldly promises.

You're right. His annoyance is clear to see when he's asked a simple question in the HoC. How dare anyone question him, to start with, and then when he doesn't have Butt's talking points sheet on the subject, it's a blast of umm ahhs and a blaming of Stephen Harper. He's just not ready for the job.
Ecclesiastes 10:2 "A wise man’s heart inclines him to the right, but a fool’s heart to the left."
Get a high school drama teacher to run a country, and what do you get? High school drama.

3 people like this post.
Gone_Fishin
Lord of the Board

Liked in: 3772 posts

Postby Snman » Jun 18th, 2018, 11:49 am

My understanding was, and is, that Canada's portion of the $3.8 billion was $400 million. The rest came from other countries and the world bank. Canada was instrumental in raising the funds. See attached link.

https://www.ctvnews.ca/politics/canada- ... -1.3966749
I know nothing except the fact of my ignorance - Socrates

2 people like this post.
Snman
Übergod

Liked in: 888 posts

Postby Omnitheo » Jun 18th, 2018, 12:21 pm

*removed*

Investments in developing nations is a long term benefit. While countries like the US are becoming isolationist, countries like China are investing all over the globe. The benefits of this will be quite apparent within the next few decades.

People seem to forget that a country exists beyond simply their own time in it. Your time on earth may be limited, but Canada needs to continue to exist after you pass on, and we need to implement policies and make investments which help it thrive, even if we don’t see the returns during your lifetime.
Last edited by ferri on Jun 19th, 2018, 5:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Baiting
"The Charter of Rights and Freedoms protects all Canadians, every one of us, even when it is uncomfortable."
- Justin Trudeau

3 people like this post.
Omnitheo
Lord of the Board

Liked in: 3965 posts

Postby Sparki55 » Jun 18th, 2018, 12:57 pm

Omnitheo wrote:Anything posted by OP must be taken with a grain of salt. He’s more biased than Fox News and has one clear objective: “discrediting Trudeau” regardless of facts or otherwise.

Investments in developing nations is a long term benefit. While countries like the US are becoming isolationist, countries like China are investing all over the globe. The benefits of this will be quite apparent within the next few decades.

People seem to forget that a country exists beyond simply their own time in it. Your time on earth may be limited, but Canada needs to continue to exist after you pass on, and we need to implement policies and make investments which help it thrive, even if we don’t see the returns during your lifetime.

He posted a direct paper from The Post Millennial. Look up a fact checker and you will see they are a far right leaning media source but always back up their claims with proper references and facts. He posted direct facts from a trustworthy site and you bash him by saying he's just trying to discredit Trudeau. You don't argue any of the points he brings up with other facts and put out some loose statement on "sometime in the future investments pay off for future generations" with no proof to back up that statement like it's just meant to be taken as fact because it is a Liberal approach.

Giving out huge investments could pay off, I've got nothing to back that it won't but if we end up with nothing left to give when our debt reaches crippling levels and our homeless levels reach all new highs then all the gifting we did will seem rather silly. 400 million to other countries when our veterans asked for money they were told no! WHat about the women living in Vernon who needs a $250,000 a year drug that her insurance company denied her; a hardworking Canadian just tossed aside to help foreign countries. It's like a father donating his kidney to a complete stranger when his daughter is dying of kidney failure, it just doesn't make sense.

3 people like this post.
Sparki55
Board Meister

Liked in: 563 posts

Postby Omnitheo » Jun 18th, 2018, 3:12 pm

It’s an emotional appeal that neglects facts in favour of something that sounds juicy. There is no perspective. You mention vets, Canada spends 4.7 Billion a year on vets. There will always be something that someone can claim someone is spending money on rather than something else. OP complains about environmental spending by Trudeau, and then when there’s a story against Trudeau for redivesting Parks money, then suddenly the PM isn’t spending enough on our parks!

The OP doesn’t support welfare, so why is he pretending to be concerned with people starving? Canada spends $270 billion on welfare!

You mention someone who has some expensive meds? Canada spends 230 billion on healthcare.

As soon as you put it all into perspective, you’ll realize that 400 million is pretty small change next to they other expenses, and putting it into one of the others instead isn’t really going to make a lot of difference. Certainly not the sort of difference it will by being invested.

http://www.veterans.gc.ca/eng/news/info ... .7-billion
https://www.fin.gc.ca/tax-impot/2014/html-eng.asp
https://www.google.ca/amp/nationalpost. ... health/amp
"The Charter of Rights and Freedoms protects all Canadians, every one of us, even when it is uncomfortable."
- Justin Trudeau

3 people like this post.
Omnitheo
Lord of the Board

Liked in: 3965 posts

Postby Sparki55 » Jun 18th, 2018, 3:52 pm

Look up what the average veteran gets in Canada and you will realize any little bit helps.

2 people like this post.
Sparki55
Board Meister

Postby Snman » Jun 18th, 2018, 6:31 pm

From the link in OP's post..... "Just a few days ago, our prime minister earmarked $3.8 billion of Canadian taxpayers’ money to fund girls’ education overseas."

Clearly the author of the article is confused, and not the OP. imho
I know nothing except the fact of my ignorance - Socrates

Gone_Fishin likes this post.
Snman
Übergod

Liked in: 888 posts

Postby Jonrox » Jun 19th, 2018, 6:20 pm

I have no problem with this. I’m thinking a lot of homeless Canadians live better lives than these poor girls anyway. We’re a “have”nation and should help when we can. We won’t even feel the impact of $400 million. I think a lot of you don’t understand the scale of finances at the federal level.

You guys are just looking for a reason to criticize PM Trudeau. You can go back decades and will find that every government regardless of party affiliation has funded foreign aid. Our government also spends billions on programs for the arts, sports, social programs, infrastructure, and the list goes on and on that you could make a very strong case could have gone to battle homelessness and hunger.

But that’s not how running a government works.

Omnitheo likes this post.
Jonrox
Lord of the Board

Liked in: 2145 posts

Postby Sparki55 » Jun 20th, 2018, 9:53 am

Jonrox wrote:I have no problem with this. I’m thinking a lot of homeless Canadians live better lives than these poor girls anywaycome to my street then and clean up the poo these homeless leave on our property. I want money spent on removing that issue before donating money away. 400 million could go along way to help clean up the homeless/ needle problems.. We’re a “have”nation and should help when we can. We won’t even feel the impact of $400 million. I think a lot of you don’t understand the scale of finances at the federal levelthen outline this for us, everyone against used real numbers and explained the impact the money can have here. If the money was going to this country to make the population sterle then I'd be on board because this is a never ending cycle of giving money to these countries who have kids when they shouldn't. I can't afford to have kids here so why do we fund other countries who don't think like that. If Canada's millennials pumped out kids like these countries we would start to see the same problems here. .

You guys are just looking for a reason to criticize PM TrudeauNo i'd criticize anyone on the crap he pulls. It just happens he keep doing stupid things all the time so I am constantly against him.. You can go back decades and will find that every government regardless of party affiliation has funded foreign aid. Our government also spends billions on programs for the arts, sports, social programs, infrastructure, and the list goes on and on that you could make a very strong case could have gone to battle homelessness and hunger.

But that’s not how running a government works.

Gone_Fishin likes this post.
Sparki55
Board Meister

Postby Jonrox » Jun 20th, 2018, 11:45 am

Here's the outline you asked for:

$400 million is $11/Canadian. I have no problem giving $11/year to help a cause as important as this is and I have no problem pitching in an extra $11/year in taxes to combat homelessness and I'll even pitch in an extra $100/year for veterans (it would be $3.7 billion if every Canadian did the same - it gets a bit more complicated if you factor in those who don't work and corporate taxes, but this is the dumbed down version).

But the second PM Trudeau raises taxes by the $4 billion you guys would be all up in arms if they went up by the 90 cents a month for homelessness and $8/month for veterans each of us would have to pay. You say you care about homelessness and veterans, but I don't really think you do - you're more concerned with criticizing PM Trudeau.

You hear big numbers and get outraged, but don't think it through - an increase of $4 billion in taxes would cost you about $10/month (or $5 per paycheque). Hell, make it income dependent so that low income doesn't have to pitch in and the rest of us have to pay $20. It's virtually negligible and you wouldn't have to deal with cleaning up the street in front of your house.

2 people like this post.
Jonrox
Lord of the Board

Postby Sparki55 » Jun 20th, 2018, 1:50 pm

Jonrox wrote:Here's the outline you asked for:

$400 million is $11/Canadian. I have no problem giving $11/year to help a cause as important as this is and I have no problem pitching in an extra $11/year in taxes to combat homelessness and I'll even pitch in an extra $100/year for veterans (it would be $3.7 billion if every Canadian did the same - it gets a bit more complicated if you factor in those who don't work and corporate taxes, but this is the dumbed down version). based on some real numbers it cost me close to $20. only 20 million canadians actually have a full time job

But the second PM Trudeau raises taxes by the $4 billion you guys would be all up in arms if they went up by the 90 cents a month for homelessness and $8/month for veterans each of us would have to pay. You say you care about homelessness and veterans, but I don't really think you do - you're more concerned with criticizing PM Trudeau. what does criticizing Trudeau solve for me? Answer is nothing. I'm concerned about his policies. I'd pitch in that money no questions asked if that was where it was going. Sending my money overseas fixes nothing as I outlined above. If this money was to make everyone over there sterle I'd also be in for sending it.

You hear big numbers and get outraged, but don't think it through - an increase of $4 billion in taxes would cost you about $10/month (or $5 per paycheque). Hell, make it income dependent so that low income doesn't have to pitch in and the rest of us have to pay $20. It's virtually negligible and you wouldn't have to deal with cleaning up the street in front of your house.
Sparki55
Board Meister

Postby Jonrox » Jun 20th, 2018, 2:16 pm

Sparki... if you're going to use actual numbers then you start need to factoring in corporate taxes and other revenue sources the government has. I was really dumbing it down just for argument's sake - but if you're going to get technical, your number isn't remotely close either if you're only factoring in people who have full time jobs. But even if it's $20 instead of $10, it doesn't change my argument.

Criticizing PM Trudeau can be very useful and I welcome it. I'm a Trudeau supporter (I was also a Harper supporter for reference) and I criticize a lot of what he does. Just because I voted for him, it doesn't mean I have to agree with everything he does... but I do agree with the $400 million for girl's education in developing nations.

As a "have" nation, I believe we have a responsibility to help out other nations when we can. It's just the right thing to do.

Omnitheo likes this post.
Jonrox
Lord of the Board

Previous

Return to Canada