Kickstart the Energy East pipeline project again

Ka-El
Buddha of the Board

Kickstart the Energy East pipeline project again

Post by Ka-El »

Saudi Arabia dispute shows it’s time to kickstart Energy East

The best thing the Liberal government could do in response to the diplomatic and trade war started by Saudi Arabia is to kickstart the Energy East pipeline project again. The second best thing they could do is tell Saudi Arabia that we don’t need their dirty oil and source it from the Americans instead. The last thing we should do is apologize.

https://globalnews.ca/news/4374908/dani ... ergy-east/
jimmy4321
Guru

Re: Kickstart the Energy East pipeline project again

Post by jimmy4321 »

I don't know the ins and outs of it but we should go all out and refine our oil.
Jflem1983
Guru

Post by Jflem1983 »

Would be a well timed prudent gesture. I think that is the pipeline our country actually needs anyways. We need em both. ENERGY EAST is a best option
Now they want to take our guns away . That would be just fine. Take em away from the criminals first . Ill gladly give u mine. "Charlie Daniels"

You have got to stand for something . Or you will fall for anything "Aaron Tippin"
Jlabute
Guru

Post by Jlabute »

Ka-El wrote:
Saudi Arabia dispute shows it’s time to kickstart Energy East

The best thing the Liberal government could do in response to the diplomatic and trade war started by Saudi Arabia is to kickstart the Energy East pipeline project again. The second best thing they could do is tell Saudi Arabia that we don’t need their dirty oil and source it from the Americans instead. The last thing we should do is apologize.

https://globalnews.ca/news/4374908/dani ... ergy-east/

Three cheers for this, even if it were from a Russian bot ;-)
Lord Kelvin - When you can measure what you are speaking about, and express it in numbers, you know something about it.
blue iguana
Fledgling

Post by blue iguana »

Former TransCanada CEO confirms it didn't walk from Energy East for market reasons but rather the "hopeless" additional regulatory burdens placed on the project by Trudeau government - See Video

'Absolutely devastating': Kvisle blasts feds' regulatory overhaul
https://www.bnnbloomberg.ca/kvisle-1.1125428
<snip>
Kvisle also said that the Energy East pipeline could be resurrected, but only if the Canadian government puts its support behind the project.

“If the government was to come out and say: ‘We are 100 per cent behind Energy East and we want you to go ahead and we want you to do the detailed regulatory work,’ we could see that project go ahead,” Kvisle said.

“But, we need more than just: ‘Why don’t you reapply? And let’s see what happens this time,’” he added. “That’s not going to work anymore. People aren’t going to go ahead under that basis.”
No matter how talented, rich or intelligent you are, how you treat animals tells me all I need to know about you.
hobbyguy
Buddha of the Board

Post by hobbyguy »

Pipeline politics are toxic in this country because there is too much money flowing in from American interests that want to lock in their control over Canadian oil. They put tons of $$$ into "green* washing" and "red washing" their agendas.

Once the TMX is built, up and running, and "the sky does not fall"... then "we" can revisit the Energy East proposal... although the original proposal was badly flawed, in that it was an export pipeline, not a "grand bargain" proposal that would create good paying refining jobs in eastern Canada and refine our own oil. That "grand bargain" type of proposal could be sold to Canadians on the right balance - but I'm afraid the original proposal was a political dead duck.

There isn't much that can be done about that flawed proposal - and it made little sense if the TMX was to be built to provide access to the prime Asian markets. In fact, I suspect that the tea leaves said the TMX was going ahead, and the proponents of the original Energy East realized that it would be unprofitable if the TMX (lower cost and closer to target markets) was built.
The middle path - everything in moderation, and everything in its time and order.
blue iguana
Fledgling

Post by blue iguana »

Now compare this to what the Energy East pipeline went through and that oil imports to Canada face none of our environmental standards.

McInnis cement plant to create jobs in Gaspé region, but Quebec's greenhouse gas emissions to rise by 6%
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montreal ... -1.4306422
<snip>
Built at a cost of $1.45 billion, much of that taxpayers' money, the plant is meant to produce a "greener" cement, using biomass instead of coal.

However, the cement plant will produce 1.8 million tonnes of greenhouse gases per year, making it the largest single emitter in the province.

That will increase greenhouse gas emissions in the province by an estimated two per cent — and emissions in Quebec's industrial sector will rise by six per cent.

The project was not subject to environmental review board hearings because it was initially proposed before the hearings process, known as BAPE, existed.

In 2015, the Couillard government passed a law reaffirming that the Port-Daniel–Gascons project would not be required to undergo an environmental review.

In Quebec, a cement factory encased in hypocrisy
Why did the Quebec government hand millions to an emission-belching, billionaire-owned cement factory?
https://www.macleans.ca/news/canada/in- ... hypocrisy/
<snip>
Whether it is an astute public investment or the product of political favouritism, this much is true: the plant, which is located on the southern flank of Quebec’s Gaspé Peninsula, will emit between 1.8 and 2.2 million tonnes of greenhouse gases a year after it starts up this fall. This will make it the largest emitter of carbon in the province, according to Canada’s environment ministry, and will dwarf the yearly emissions of Shell Canada’s oil sands operations in Fort McMurray, Alta.

It will also rival, if not exceed, the emissions associated with the Energy East pipeline project, which Quebec has opposed on environmental grounds. According to figures in a report prepared for the Ontario Energy Board, the planned pipeline that would transport bitumen eastward from Alberta will generate somewhere between 0.7 and 4.3 million tonnes of extra carbon a year, depending on increases in production. At the very least, the cement plant will generate the equivalent of roughly half those emissions from a single location—without an environmental assessment.
No matter how talented, rich or intelligent you are, how you treat animals tells me all I need to know about you.
bernie428
Board Meister

Post by bernie428 »

The one that always gets me is that Montreal doesn't want the east pipeline running through the area, doesn't want tankers in the St Lawrence River, but have no problem using oil brought in through the Bay Of Fundy. I guess the bay isn't worth keeping safe.

Return to “Canada”