Handgun ban would have 'no impact,' police union head warns
https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/handgu ... -1.4807778
alanjh595
Banned

Re: RE: No one needs a handgun

Post by alanjh595 »

Ka-El wrote:Let's just not have any laws and arm everyone. :D

Just like the good ol' days.

It would significantly cut down on bad drivers.
Bring back the LIKE button.
Nedroj
Übergod

Post by Nedroj »

username_71 wrote:Who are you to tell me what I need or don't need? You don't have a clue what you are talking about. Do you actually think making hand guns illegal will eliminate them? The criminals will get them the same way they do now, not legally. Having hand guns banned will not make any difference on violence or criminal activity. Give your head a shake.

No offence but *bleep* were you smoking before reading my post? Never did I say that I agree with the letter writer. In fact I showed evidence that Canada’s current licensing system for all guns is working quite well. Is it perfect, no but when a country of 35 million people only have roughly 500+/- homicides and only a half of them are committed by a gun, I’d say that’s acceptable. We cannot save everyone from harm.

And yes I would support concealed carry licenses with some advanced training. I have my thoughts on open carry but I feel the Canadian public would lose their minds if that happened, as an unaware person could get their gun stolen.
'I hear and I forget, I see and I remember, I do and I understand' - Confucius
Blindeyes2020
Fledgling

Post by Blindeyes2020 »

i used to use a level 3 retention holster they make it a lot harder for someone to disarm you if your firearm is in a holster.
Gone_Fishin
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Gone_Fishin »

"There's no way in my world or any world I know that this would have an impact on somebody who's going to go out and buy an illegal gun and use it to kill another person or shoot another person."

- Mike McCormack, Toronto Police Association president

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

A smaller government makes room for bigger citizens.

"We know that Russia must win this war." ~ Justin Trudeau, Feb 26, 2024.
jimmy4321
Guru

Post by jimmy4321 »

This from a trained officer

“You might as well be on the moon because by the time you call for help, something terrible could have happened.”
https://globalnews.ca/news/4418449/form ... -town-cop/

It's always been like this in rural communities, it's hit and miss help can be just up the road or 20min away- despite their best efforts in many cases it's a logistical impossibility.
So police, being a private citizens backup and rightfully worried about their own backup, how should one feel living in a rural community without some LEGAL home defense?
Ken7
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Ken7 »

jimmy4321 wrote:Handgun ban would have 'no impact,' police union head warns

That is correct, just like the gun registry it was of no value. We never used it when attending calls.

Police are trained to think of the dangers when inside someones home or while stopping them. To survive you treat all as armed and then de-escalate, however you can never let your guard down.

Criminals will always find a way to get a gun, including now 3D copiers.
Last edited by Ken7 on Sep 4th, 2018, 5:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pete Podoski
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Pete Podoski »

How's that again?

Be sure to read Justin Trudeau's new autobiography: Sunny Day Sketches of a Small Mind
Jlabute
Guru

Re: No one needs a handgun

Post by Jlabute »

So, 67 guns, which is not even 7 guns per province per year. Holeee BangBang Batman. No where close it used to be 2007 to 2012 and is probably, just a microscopic portion of the entire illegal market. Are these guns sold to a pawn shop, or do people just sell them to criminal strangers or friends? Are there cracks in the restricted acquisition process?

I must add, I won't need a gun, although I could want a gun ;-) I used to do the shooting range in Richmond with my friends when I was 14. It's fun.
Lord Kelvin - When you can measure what you are speaking about, and express it in numbers, you know something about it.
Ken7
Walks on Forum Water

Re: No one needs a handgun

Post by Ken7 »

Jlabute wrote:So, 67 guns, which is not even 7 guns per province per year. Holeee BangBang Batman. No where close it used to be 2007 to 2012 and is probably, just a microscopic portion of the entire illegal market. Are these guns sold to a pawn shop, or do people just sell them to criminal strangers or friends? Are there cracks in the restricted acquisition process?

I must add, I won't need a gun, although I could want a gun ;-) I used to do the shooting range in Richmond with my friends when I was 14. It's fun.

I think you're missing it. That was 67 guns that were confiscated after crime. Most guns used in Crimes are throw away and the criminals do not hang onto them. It links you to the crime...you see.

You can also take any statistic and turn it over as you did to make a point. Your point has little to do with gun crimes in Canada.
It would be more interesting to know just how many illegal weapons are on the streets as we speak, you would be surprised it is more then 7 per province, trust me on that one.
Jflem1983
Guru

Post by Jflem1983 »

How many u think just in Kelowna. My guess. 25k.
Now they want to take our guns away . That would be just fine. Take em away from the criminals first . Ill gladly give u mine. "Charlie Daniels"

You have got to stand for something . Or you will fall for anything "Aaron Tippin"
Blindeyes2020
Fledgling

Post by Blindeyes2020 »

Yeah and your stats can be turned around too. It works both ways. Sorry, maybe you would be suprised also.
Ken7
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Ken7 »

Blindeyes2020 wrote:Yeah and your stats can be turned around too. It works both ways. Sorry, maybe you would be suprised also.

Tell us if you are such a authority on firearms and crime. After over 25 years of Policing, I might learn from you.
Attachments
Gun.jpg
Ken7
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Ken7 »

Jflem1983 wrote:How many u think just in Kelowna. My guess. 25k.

It would depend upon what you consider illegal. Guns that were not registered, stolen,imported, the list goes on. IF you use the three categories I just stated it would likely be that high.

How many do you think are in the hands of people who would not qualify for a PAL or POL due to criminal records?
Jflem1983
Guru

Post by Jflem1983 »

Ken7 wrote:
Jflem1983 wrote:How many u think just in Kelowna. My guess. 25k.

It would depend upon what you consider illegal. Guns that were not registered, stolen,imported, the list goes on. IF you use the three categories I just stated it would likely be that high.

How many do you think are in the hands of people who would not qualify for a PAL or POL due to criminal records?

10k or so. Gotta figure. 10 percent of population is criminal here. Most are likely armed.
Now they want to take our guns away . That would be just fine. Take em away from the criminals first . Ill gladly give u mine. "Charlie Daniels"

You have got to stand for something . Or you will fall for anything "Aaron Tippin"

Return to “Canada”