Another serious truck - bus crash in Saskatchewan

stuphoto
Grand Pooh-bah

Another serious truck - bus crash in Saskatchewan

Post by stuphoto »

Thankfully no one dead, and lets hope it stays that way.
https://www.castanet.net/news/Canada/23 ... ruck-crash

As a professional driver who drives both bus and trucks for a living I sure hope that something is done to eliminate these bad drivers and make our highways safer.

Personally I think they should start by outlawing any company from using mileage and trip rates. Get paid by the hour or day only.
Jflem1983
Guru

Re: Another serious truck - bus crash in Saskatchewan

Post by Jflem1983 »

stuphoto wrote:Thankfully no one dead, and lets hope it stays that way.

As a professional driver who drives both bus and trucks for a living I sure hope that something is done to eliminate these bad drivers and make our highways safer.

Personally I think they should start by outlawing any company from using mileage and trip rates. Get paid by the hour or day only.

Oilfield trucking is mostly by the hr. Get off highway you work hourly basically
Now they want to take our guns away . That would be just fine. Take em away from the criminals first . Ill gladly give u mine. "Charlie Daniels"

You have got to stand for something . Or you will fall for anything "Aaron Tippin"
Smurf
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Smurf »

I cannot believe these accidents. When I was young and starting to drive I was going into Regina from the west on #1 Hwy when I witnessed a serious crash. A train wiped out a car load of people. It was a level crossing where you could see for miles in both directions and no one in the car saw a huge mile long train??? I wondered then and still wonder today how these accidents happen.
Consider how hard it is to change yourself and you'll understand what little chance you have of changing others.

The happiest of people don't necessarily have the best of everything, they just make the most of everything that comes their way.
techrtr
Übergod

Post by techrtr »

Smurf wrote:I cannot believe these accidents. When I was young and starting to drive I was going into Regina from the west on #1 Hwy when I witnessed a serious crash. A train wiped out a car load of people. It was a level crossing where you could see for miles in both directions and no one in the car saw a huge mile long train??? I wondered then and still wonder today how these accidents happen.

I grew up in Sask and the last few times I've been back there I've been astonished by how people drive. Blowing through Stop signs, cutting across major highways without stopping. It takes more than a quick glance to make sure that there isn't a car coming. It always blows my mind when people do a taxi stop at Stop signs. I've been hit once and had many near misses while I was on my bike and someone didn't come to a complete stop when they should have seen me right there in front of them. I think it's partly due to a lack of enforcement and penny ante fines. More people are driving but the number of cops doing enforcement isn't really increasing. There's more speeding, distracted driving, red light running, Stop sign running. You come to a complete stop and you're liable to get rear ended nowadays.
Merry
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Merry »

We have lots of 4 way stops here in Armstrong, and it's shocking to see how rarely people observe them. Most of the time it's a "free for all" as to who goes next, and frankly it's an accident waiting to happen.

I'd love to see cameras at some of these intersections, because it's the only way you'll ever get people to obey the law. I can hear the howls of protest already, but what price somebody's life?

One time I followed a guy who cut me off at one of those intersections, and when he got out of his vehicle (before I'd even said one word to him) he started yelling at me about why was I following him (his anger suggested he already knew, but I digress). So I pointed out to him that he'd just blown through a stop (and for the record, I said it politely, I didn't yell). At which point he told me to "mind my own business" and went to get back in his vehicle. So I called out and said "it's the law" and he just ignored me.

My hubby likes to ride his bike round town, and he's lost track of the number of times folks ignoring the stop sign, or going out of turn, have almost hit him. And there have been several times when such folks have almost hit pedestrians who are crossing at these intersections (including me).

It's like the "wild west" and something needs to be done before someone gets hurt. And I'm willing to bet that this isn't a problem only in Armstrong. The police need to stop focusing only on highway speeders, and start focusing more on other traffic violations a bit more. One of our problem 4 way stops is right by the police station, yet I never see a police presence there. Cameras would definitely help solve the problem.
"In a world swathed in political correctness, the voting booth remains the final sanctuary where the people are free to speak" - Clifford Orwin
Omnitheo
Guru

Post by Omnitheo »

I thought all the thoughts and prayers were supposed to stop this from happening again
"Dishwashers, the dishwasher, right? You press it. Remember the dishwasher, you press it, there'd be like an explosion. Five minutes later you open it up the steam pours out, the dishes -- now you press it 12 times, women tell me again." - Trump
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

Omnitheo wrote:I thought all the thoughts and prayers were supposed to stop this from happening again

People can pray all they want, won't stop an idiot from getting behind the wheel of vehicle and do dumba :cuss: things/illegal.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
stuphoto
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by stuphoto »

Jflem1983 wrote:
stuphoto wrote:Thankfully no one dead, and lets hope it stays that way.

Oilfield trucking is mostly by the hr. Get off highway you work hourly basically

I have worked for more than 1 oilfield company that has told me to speed.
I am one of the lucky ones who always had a backup job making it easy to quit however not everyone does.

However in this case the bus was working for the oil industry, the truck was hauling grain.
Jflem1983
Guru

Post by Jflem1983 »

I actually have driven this exact spot of the crash. It is a terrible stretch of hwy. Speed limit is 40. About a mile long. 3 hiways all merge. This is 20 miles north of my family farm
Now they want to take our guns away . That would be just fine. Take em away from the criminals first . Ill gladly give u mine. "Charlie Daniels"

You have got to stand for something . Or you will fall for anything "Aaron Tippin"
OKkayak
Walks on Forum Water

Post by OKkayak »

Along with the trucking industry, the private busing industry and the companies operating in this Country seriously need to be taking under the microscope, they get left alone far too often when it comes to the safe operation, maintenance and hiring practices.

ELDs are a step in the right direction and should have been implemented years ago when the rest of the world did, but more needs to be done.
stuphoto
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by stuphoto »

OKkayak wrote:Along with the trucking industry, the private busing industry and the companies operating in this Country seriously need to be taking under the microscope, they get left alone far too often when it comes to the safe operation, maintenance and hiring practices.

ELDs are a step in the right direction and should have been implemented years ago when the rest of the world did, but more needs to be done.

I agree with you,
I have been asked to operate vehicles I felt had safety issues in both industries.
Thankfully I was able to exercise my right to say no.

However 2 years ago I was on 3 greyhound buses on a trip back from Edmonton.
I would have pulled 2 out of service, yet their drivers just put up with the issues.
Merry
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Merry »

Omnitheo wrote:I thought all the thoughts and prayers were supposed to stop this from happening again

Cameras and fines will work better.
"In a world swathed in political correctness, the voting booth remains the final sanctuary where the people are free to speak" - Clifford Orwin

Return to “Canada”