National Indigenous People's Day

RandyDandy
Fledgling

National Indigenous People's Day

Post by RandyDandy »

Cart before the horse syndrome. Only Indiginous people working for the government will get paid for not working.
Do I have this right?
oneh2obabe
feistres Goruchaf y Bwrdd

Re: National Indigenous People's Day

Post by oneh2obabe »

National Indigenous Peoples Day is not a national holiday in Canada, but it is a paid holiday for those in Yukon and the Northwest Territories.

There has been a push to have it designated a national statutory holiday with a private member’s bill put forth in the House of Commons by NDP MP Georgina Jolibois.

The bill had its second reading in March.

https://globalnews.ca/news/4288093/nati ... -day-2018/
Dance as if no one's watching, sing as if no one's listening, and live everyday as if it were your last.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
gman313
Lord of the Board

Post by gman313 »

RandyDandy wrote:Cart before the horse syndrome. Only Indiginous people working for the government will get paid for not working.
Do I have this right?

not every day on the calendar comes with a paid day off
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Post by The Green Barbarian »

I think it's a great idea and I love that Canada has such great cultural history that all Canadians can enjoy and celebrate.
"The woke narcissists who make up the progressive left are characterized by an absolute lack of such conscience, but are experts at exploiting its presence in others." - Jordan Peterson
floppi
Lord of the Board

Post by floppi »

The Green Barbarian wrote:I think it's a great idea and I love that Canada has such great cultural history that all Canadians can enjoy and celebrate.

:up: :200: ....but who are you really? Did you hijack GB's account?
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

floppi wrote:
:up: :200: ....but who are you really? Did you hijack GB's account?

what kind of silly comment is this? What else would I say? Please tell me that this isn't all about the constant need to assign yourself the moral high ground on every issue, and make it all about hate and division. Because that's just sad.
"The woke narcissists who make up the progressive left are characterized by an absolute lack of such conscience, but are experts at exploiting its presence in others." - Jordan Peterson
ferri
Forum Administrator

Post by ferri »

National Indigenous People's Day <--- Topic
“Weak people revenge. Strong people forgive. Intelligent people ignore.”
― Albert Einstein
normaM
The Pilgrim

Post by normaM »

Good maybe people will venture out, meet an Elder, attend a pot latch, do a sweet grass ceremony
The most generous, kindest, gentle people I've ever known and worked with are Indigenous
Def should be a National Holiday
Now I want bannock
If there was a Loser contest you'd come in second
roblwowski

Post by roblwowski »

*removed*
Last edited by ferri on May 2nd, 2019, 7:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Off Topic
coffeeFreak
Guru

Post by coffeeFreak »

*removed*
Last edited by ferri on May 24th, 2022, 10:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Response to removed post.
nepal
Übergod

Post by nepal »

Worth a watch, for some of Canada’s founding history. Guests who took advantage of the situation.
nepal
Übergod

Post by nepal »

Cree have used their compensation to setup a sovereign wealth fund, to benefit future generations.

https://www.euromoney.com/article/2a0tc ... ree-nation
seewood
Guru

Post by seewood »

nepal wrote: May 23rd, 2022, 10:25 pm Cree have used their compensation to setup a sovereign wealth fund, to benefit future generations.
Another example of good governance. The more this kind of governance gets to out to the population of other bands that have continual abject poverty, maybe they will elect band councils that will look forward and start to make things a little bit better, a little bit at a time.
Wonder if there was a demand for immediate "per capita" when the money was awarded?
I am not wealthy but I am rich
rustled
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by rustled »

seewood wrote: May 24th, 2022, 6:55 am
nepal wrote: May 23rd, 2022, 10:25 pm Cree have used their compensation to setup a sovereign wealth fund, to benefit future generations.
Another example of good governance. The more this kind of governance gets to out to the population of other bands that have continual abject poverty, maybe they will elect band councils that will look forward and start to make things a little bit better, a little bit at a time.
Those who elect band councils intent on good governance, councils that are future-focused and community-minded, are still stuck with what happened recently to the Wet'suwet'en: outside support for "hereditary chiefs' " interference with that good governance.
There is nothing more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity. - Martin Luther King Jr.
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

rustled wrote: May 24th, 2022, 7:12 am

Those who elect band councils intent on good governance, councils that are future-focused and community-minded, are still stuck with what happened recently to the Wet'suwet'en: outside support for "hereditary chiefs' " interference with that good governance.
Yup. Leo DiCaprio can sit on his yacht burning up millions of gallons of gas tweeting all he wants, but scum like him needs to stay out of the affairs of what these people are trying to achieve. Hollywood celebrities have no business sticking their nose in this business, especially if it's to deliberately interfere with people practicing good governance.

Return to “Canada”