Minimum income for all

dakoda62
Fledgling

Minimum income for all

Post by dakoda62 »

*bleep*. more taxpayer dollars for permanent welfare, where are you getting the cash for this? Oh yeah the taxpayers. This moron has to go.

https://www.castanet.net/news/Canada/24 ... me-for-all
Last edited by ferri on Dec 19th, 2018, 1:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Link to article added.
Omnitheo
Guru

Re: Minimum income for all

Post by Omnitheo »

dakoda62 wrote:*bleep*. more taxpayer dollars for permanent welfare, where are you getting the cash for this? Oh yeah the taxpayers. This moron has to go.

https://www.castanet.net/news/Canada/24 ... me-for-all

The initial idea was actually born from conservatives as a way to get people off of welfare.

Those who will not work, are not going to work either way. Those who can though will not be satisfied with the bare minimum and will continue to work to earn a better living. Just like we do now.

As for where do we get the cash for this? From the economy. Those at the lower end of the income scale put a higher percentage of their money back into the economy than those at the top. Ensuring that canadians have the money they need to afford food, rent etc gets canadians off the streets. It gives a safety net to those who's jobs may be unstable. It gives canadians the opportunity to receive an education without going into a massive debt or having to choose between school for a career vs working a low wage job just to get by. It is money that will pass directly back into the economy. It also gives canadians the opportunity to take risks, new types of careers that they could otherwise not start because they are too busy with a minimum wage job scrambling for as much overtime as possible to pay the bills and thus unable to spend time investing in a new opportunity.

There are threads here complaining about the government not doing enough for canadians. Not helping get canadians off the street. Not helping laid off workers enough. Wearing yellow vests to protest low wages for canadians. Here is the government making an effort to solve all of those things.
"Dishwashers, the dishwasher, right? You press it. Remember the dishwasher, you press it, there'd be like an explosion. Five minutes later you open it up the steam pours out, the dishes -- now you press it 12 times, women tell me again." - Trump
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

IF they have a very low clawback rate such that you don't get penalized for working, it might work. If they start clawing back as soon as you start making minimum wage, they've just removed the incentive to work.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
dakoda62
Fledgling

Post by dakoda62 »

Do the math, in excess of 70 Billion.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

dakoda62 wrote:Do the math, in excess of 70 Billion.

What are the current entitlements worth (including the cost of administering)?
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
jimmy4321
Guru

Post by jimmy4321 »

How do you come up with 70 billion?
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

*removed*
Last edited by ferri on Dec 19th, 2018, 3:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Personal attack
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
dakoda62
Fledgling

Post by dakoda62 »

jimmy4321 wrote:How do you come up with 70 billion?

Go to the and of the editorial.
oneh2obabe
feistres Goruchaf y Bwrdd

Post by oneh2obabe »

dakoda62 wrote:Do the math, in excess of 70 Billion.

Guaranteed basic income for all Canadians would cost $43 billion a year: PBO
“The total annual estimated gross cost of the defined GBI (guaranteed basic income) would range between $76 billion and $79.5 billion for the period 2018-2023,” the report notes.

https://globalnews.ca/news/4149318/guar ... on-a-year/
Dance as if no one's watching, sing as if no one's listening, and live everyday as if it were your last.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
jimmy4321
Guru

Post by jimmy4321 »

yeah i did but you came across like you somehow did the math lol
dakoda62
Fledgling

Post by dakoda62 »

Such a program would affect more than 7.5 million people, who would receive on average $9,421 a year, with the maximum amount reaching $16,989 for individuals and $24,027 for couples, before deductions for any income earned.
dakoda62
Fledgling

Post by dakoda62 »

Here's a suggestion raise the basic exemption both federal and provincial
Gilchy
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Gilchy »

I’d like to see what UBI would look like as fully taxable income, with no claw backs, unlike OAS. This way, there is no disincentive to work, and the more you work or make, the more you take home net.
Wheels

Post by Wheels »

Has been tried successfully in a region of India with excellent results. Allows people to look for jobs and assist in the community instead if foraging for food to survive.
Not sure Canada can afford it. Those in the middle class will always miss out because they are barely self sufficient. It won't affect the rich as they would be taxed the amount in return.
hobbyguy
Buddha of the Board

Post by hobbyguy »

I note that they are not looking at a guaranteed minimum income for all. I remain unsold on on a guaranteed minimum income, however, when you think about it, the GIS is a guaranteed minimum income for seniors. That system seems to work fairly well, and not at a cost beyond reason.

Don't forget that folks at that end of the income scale spend every nickel, so it is a highly efficient way to bootstrap the economy. The mechanics is the important part. I can see extending a GIS type system to disabled folks for example. I can also see such a system being extended to families with a premium on earned income - i.e. if you work, you are guaranteed a living income - but that gets trickier.

"For all"? I can't see it. But I can see stepping stones, disabled, then veterans, then working families.

I could also see a bootstrap program, carefully designed, for a limited time period for those who are rehabilitating their lives, e.g. drug addicts who have gone clean. An incentive to get them habituated to working for a living. But that gets even trickier.

As far as a more open "for all" - I worry that it would act as a disincentive to folks working for living.
The middle path - everything in moderation, and everything in its time and order.

Return to “Canada”