JOBS,JOBS,JOBS don't be a bum one is waiting for YOU

Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Re: JOBS,JOBS,JOBS don't be a bum one is waiting for YOU

Post by Fancy »

jimmy4321 wrote: Don't take the word "bum" in the title as homeless, my meaning are those who complain there's no work and would rather sponge of their parents the gov or whoever while they *bleep* the dog.

With all the threads about the homeless, thought this was just another one (according to definition). On that note, people travel for work all the time and move provinces - Ontario to BC, BC to Ontario - the door is swinging both ways.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
jimmy4321
Guru

Post by jimmy4321 »

I know many don't want to move and break close ties with their older parents and lose out on that inheritance lottery win, especially those Okanagan home owners.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Inheritance can be there no matter if moving coast to coast. One is only a plane ride away.
Ken7
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Ken7 »

jimmy4321 wrote:

Don't take the word "bum" in the title as homeless, my meaning are those who complain there's no work and would rather sponge of their parents the gov or whoever while they *bleep* the dog.

Would a 30 year old living off his or her parents in their basement be a "BUM". I wonder just what the numbers would be in this City of youth who are schooled and still living off Mommy.
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Post by The Green Barbarian »

Ontario screwed up - they should have kept Wynne as premier, that would have solved this "Jobs" issue really quickly.
"The woke narcissists who make up the progressive left are characterized by an absolute lack of such conscience, but are experts at exploiting its presence in others." - Jordan Peterson
TylerM4
Lord of the Board

Post by TylerM4 »

Fancy wrote:A homeless person generally doesn't have a car and without a job any funds coming in would hardly cover bus fare, food and accommodation. I've moved around but I had the funds, jobs and accommodations all lined up. Bums don't normally have that luxury.

I disagree.

Yes, there are some out there who are genuinely down and out. However, there are assistance programs for people even in that state. EI, Welfare, etc all have provisions in them to assist in these circumstances. Regardless, there's plenty of minimum wage or seasonal jobs in Kelowna. Couple of months of continued sleeping in your tent while working a min wage job, you'd be able to fund a trip to Ontario. There's always a way - unfortunately many people aren't willing to work for it and expect a good job to land in their lap.

Many will blame circumstance, others will enable them with that argument. The fact of the matter is that there's always a way and there's always opportunity for those willing to work for it. The most you can say is that it's easier for some vs others.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

TylerM4 wrote:I disagree.

Yes, there are some out there who are genuinely down and out. However, there are assistance programs for people even in that state. EI, Welfare, etc all have provisions in them to assist in these circumstances. Regardless, there's plenty of minimum wage or seasonal jobs in Kelowna. Couple of months of continued sleeping in your tent while working a min wage job, you'd be able to fund a trip to Ontario. There's always a way - unfortunately many people aren't willing to work for it and expect a good job to land in their lap.

Many will blame circumstance, others will enable them with that argument. The fact of the matter is that there's always a way and there's always opportunity for those willing to work for it. The most you can say is that it's easier for some vs others.

You realize the topic has changed somewhat. And yes, there have been homeless that have been given a one way ticket out of province but that certainly didn't help them get a job. All you have to do is look at the tent city in Vancouver or Vernon and see how many people don't have a job. But it seems the topic is actually about those living in mommy's basement that are able to work and we all know there are jobs available.
Smurf
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Smurf »

I know a large business in Vernon had a job fair recently and hardly anyone showed up. Not the best jobs but they were offering both full and part time. An excellent place to start. I know a number of people who have started these low paying jobs in the last couple of years and had no problems moving up to better jobs. Some were family members who moved here and have done quite well with no help. Be willing to work, prove yourself and there is lots of work out there. I drove taxi and worked night when I was taking my electrical schooling while supporting a wife and 2 kids. They barely knew me for a year, but it worked out well in the end.
Consider how hard it is to change yourself and you'll understand what little chance you have of changing others.

The happiest of people don't necessarily have the best of everything, they just make the most of everything that comes their way.
TylerM4
Lord of the Board

Post by TylerM4 »

Smurf wrote:I know a large business in Vernon had a job fair recently and hardly anyone showed up. Not the best jobs but they were offering both full and part time. An excellent place to start. I know a number of people who have started these low paying jobs in the last couple of years and had no problems moving up to better jobs. Some were family members who moved here and have done quite well with no help. Be willing to work, prove yourself and there is lots of work out there. I drove taxi and worked night when I was taking my electrical schooling while supporting a wife and 2 kids. They barely knew me for a year, but it worked out well in the end.

Exactly. I worked full time at McDonalds to pay my way through college. At one point I packed all of my worldly possessions into my $500 beater car and relocated to Vancouver for a 1 year position making $10.50/hr. Spent the 1st month sleeping on a friends couch and barely scraped by with the cost of living in Vancouver and spent nearly 4hrs/day riding transit but my goal at the time was simply to get the experience to make my resume look better so I could move to the next, better job.

I was exhausted, had no social life, and barely scraped by for 4 years. But the payoff has been great. I managed to stay debt free and I now have a good job working and living in the Okanagan.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Everyone knows there are jobs available if one wants to work. The key word is "want".
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Thanks for posting that. I don't qualify. Very specific qualifications required and those looking for work should take a look at options. Broaden horizons.
Hassel99
Lord of the Board

Post by Hassel99 »

*removed*
Last edited by ferri on Mar 8th, 2019, 4:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Personal attack
liisgo
Lord of the Board

Post by liisgo »

There are jobs right here in kelowna,,,,but you can not make everyone want one or want to work.
That's just mean.
Drip_Torch
Guru

Post by Drip_Torch »

I don't enjoy being a Debbie downer, but I don't see where there are any jobs waiting for anyone? Ugh, a little math shows a completely different picture. The participation rate went from 65.4 to 65.8 and the story says there were 56,000 jobs added in February. Math says there were 146,840 new participants looking for those jobs and that's on top of the 1,400,000 already counted as unemployed and looking for work.

I'm not saying 30 year old's should keep playing video games in mom's basement and I'm not saying things are so bleak folks may as well stay in the tent - I'm just saying there are some facts that might give rise to you looking at the unemployed with a little less judgement and perhaps you could throw in a little more empathy.

Things are still tough out there.
Drip Torch - an upright and steadfast keeper of the flame, but when tilted sideways the contents spill and then our destiny is in the wind...

Return to “Canada”