No plans to ground Max 8s

OKkayak
Walks on Forum Water

Re: No plans to ground Max 8s

Post by OKkayak »

nepal wrote:Still lots of 737-800 in the air at this moment.

The 737-800 is a different variant of the 737 and is not affected by the directive/investigation/safety concerns towards the 737-MAX8 and MAX9.

The 737 variants are as follows:

737-100/200 "Original"
737-300/400/500 "Classic"
737-600/700/800/900 "Next Gen"
737-MAX8/MAX9 "MAX"

Only the MAX variants are affected by the directive/investigation/safety concerns.
GenesisGT
Guru

Post by GenesisGT »

A couple of interesting items about the investigation.

Ethiopia is sending the black boxes to France’s air accident investigation agency BEA for analyzes, after asking Germany BFU to do the analysis. The Glode and Mail is reporting that Ethiopia did not want to send the black boxes to the USA/FAA because of their concerns about trusting the information to the USA analysis. This is huge as the international rules are written such the the USA is involved in most any airliner crash in the world outside of aircraft built in countries such as Russia, China, etc.

It is just one indication of the world view of the USA today.

Secondly satellite information was provided to Transport Canada and the FAA by Aerion. Aerion can now provide gobal coverage of air traffic, something that was missing when the Malaysian airliner disappeared. NAV CANADA is a founding partner of Aireon LLC and this year will be using satellite ADS-B for the Arctic and North Atlantic.

Since the first airplane accident, progress and improvements in safety have always been made by the investigation of accidents.
You can see the past but cannot go there, you cannot see the future but you can go there.
Jx3
Übergod

Post by Jx3 »

Fancy wrote:I haven't found any news item yet that says any will be allowed to enter Canada. Do you have a link for that? I'm curious. I have read those that are airborne can land but they won't be able to take off again.

No, you won't find any news item on it either as I'm sure you can imagine the operator of the aircraft would prefer to keep out of the spotlight when it comes to public perception and confidence in their shiny new aircraft.

The work orders on my desk are a good enough link for me. [icon_lol2.gif]
squash junky
Fledgling

Post by squash junky »

Don't forget the statement about the highly experienced captain.
What wasn't mentioned was the 200 hr co-pilot.
Even if this crash was not directly related to the first one, if, I am still staying away from the 737 max.
Remember the rudder hard-overs on the 737 300 and 400?
Luckily I am retired now, but used to be captain on 737's, 74, 76, and 777.
OKkayak
Walks on Forum Water

Post by OKkayak »

squash junky wrote:Don't forget the statement about the highly experienced captain.
What wasn't mentioned was the 200 hr co-pilot.

200-300hr FOs are the norm almost everywhere outside of North America. Regardless, many accidents here with high hour FOs. Question is, who was the pilot flying? And even if it was the FO, these types of situations the captain would take over the controls.
squash junky wrote:Even if this crash was not directly related to the first one, if, I am still staying away from the 737 max.
Remember the rudder hard-overs on the 737 300 and 400?

Have you stayed away from the 300 and 400 as well?
squash junky
Fledgling

Post by squash junky »

OKkayak wrote:200-300hr FOs are the norm almost everywhere outside of North America.
Have you stayed away from the 300 and 400 as well?

90% of the guys I flew with joined straight out of school.
Not the point :-)
And yes, initially. As I will with this one.
The big difference: I will be a passenger on this one.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Software updates planned for Boeing Inc.’s (BA) troubled 737 Max 8 aircraft, grounded worldwide after two deadly crashes, may not be enough to satisfy critics.

All Max 8 planes will be modified to feed additional data into a system designed for the 737 Max called MCAS, or Maneuvering Characteristics Augmentation System, known to have been involved in the Lion Air and Ethiopian Airlines crashes that killed all passengers and crew on board.

“The software update that we’re making going forward includes dual sensor feed into that system,” Boeing CEO Dennis Muilenburg said during the company’s annual shareholder meeting on April 29.

‘This plane should never take to the air again’
Arthur Rosenberg, a plaintiffs attorney and pilot, described the dual software update as insufficient. Rosenberg has been contacted by families of crash victims considering legal representation.

“If that’s the case, this plane should never take to the air again,” he said. “You really need three AOA sensors, with two in agreement to provide data to MCAS. If you only have two, and the data is telling pilots that one doesn’t agree, you’re still left with a plane that has inherent unsafe flight conditions, which cause a nose-up tendency.”

https://ca.finance.yahoo.com/news/boein ... 51888.html
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Bottom line is the financial impact so I'm expecting an increase in the price of a seat.

Air Canada cancelled a total of 8,000 flights last quarter, 1,600 of which were on its higher-revenue mainline routes — a 40 per cent increase in mainline cancellations from the first quarter of 2018, Rovinescu said.

“Overnight…literally…we removed these aircraft from the fleet. So we had 18 days where we were scrambling to actually take care of our customers,” he said, adding that harsh weather also played a role in the cancellations.

The impact to passengers is huge and I haven't heard of any compensation.

https://globalnews.ca/news/5246277/air- ... ing-max-8/
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
stuphoto
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by stuphoto »

The latest news
https://www.castanet.net/news/Business/ ... suspension

Since the planes were grounded I have been wondering if the airlines are stuck paying for the loans or if Boeing is paying it.

And of course just yesterday Boeing announced they are freezing production in January.
https://www.castanet.net/news/World/272 ... in-January

If I was one of their shareholders I would be absolutely livid with them wasting my money building planes they may never be able to sell for so long.
OKkayak
Walks on Forum Water

Post by OKkayak »

stuphoto wrote:The latest news
https://www.castanet.net/news/Business/ ... suspension

Since the planes were grounded I have been wondering if the airlines are stuck paying for the loans or if Boeing is paying it.

And of course just yesterday Boeing announced they are freezing production in January.
https://www.castanet.net/news/World/272 ... in-January

If I was one of their shareholders I would be absolutely livid with them wasting my money building planes they may never be able to sell for so long.

And airlines are still ordering the aircraft, ANA just announced that they will proceed with their 30 Max's on order despite the production shutdown.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

Boeing needs to put all their resources and effort into fixing the problem, proper pilot training and quit messing around!
I got Married because I was sick and tired of finishing my own sentences.
That's worked out great for me!
mexi cali
Guru

Post by mexi cali »

Prolly already said this but I have flown at least 4 times that I am aware of (cuz I don't pay attention to the make and model, don't care) on Max 8s after the incidents.

What exactly is my point? No idea.
Praise the lord and pass the ammunition
OKkayak
Walks on Forum Water

Post by OKkayak »

oldtrucker wrote:200 hours would be a basic/ bare commercial license. Usually have a multi engine and IFR by 250hrs. Never heard of a 300 hr F/O job anywhere, but maybe as you say outside of Canada. Most F/O jobs here 'were' a minimum 1500 hours PIC multi eng. for what I can remember. Did squash junky see/meet any 300 hour F/O's?

Countries outside of North America offer Ab Initio programs, where candidates with zero experience are "hired" by airlines such as Lufthansa, and trained from the beginning. After about 2-300 hours of training similar to PPL/CPL training here, instead of flying floatplanes or being flight instructors on C152s, they continue their training through line training directly at the airline on which ever type of aircraft they need pilots for such as the B737, A320, etc. Some Asian companies like Cathay Pacific or Singapore that have more long haul flights vs short haul flights, put the students on the flight deck as "Cruise Captain's" and continue their training via instruction from the other flight deck members.

Lufthansa for example, sends their students to Arizona for the basic training (Bonanza), then back to Germany for high performance aircraft (Piper, Seminole/Cheyenne,Cessna CJ1) training and then into the right seat of usually a 737/320.

Here in Canada, you could do most of your CPL training in high performance aircraft like the Cheyenne, but very few can afford that, so with the exception of getting your multi-engine rating, the bulk of your training is done in 152/172s.
OKkayak
Walks on Forum Water

Post by OKkayak »

oldtrucker wrote:That would have been nice. :smt045

I know we're getting off topic here, but this is a pretty interesting read:

https://www.gapyear.com/articles/featur ... ine-pilots

EasyJet in the UK is boasting the youngest airline captain at age 26 and youngest airline pilot at age 19. Here at 19, getting the right seat on a Metroliner would be like winning the lottery, never mind an A320.
Catsumi
Buddha of the Board

Post by Catsumi »

:topic:
:topic:
Sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice. There’s a certain point at which ignorance becomes malice, at which there is simply no way to become THAT ignorant except deliberately and maliciously.

Unknown

Return to “Canada”