A step in the right direction in the Justice system

GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

A step in the right direction in the Justice system

Post by GordonH »

:up: :up: 2 thumbs up for this sentence of no parole until both life sentences have been served.
https://www.castanet.net/news/Canada/25 ... al-murders

Multiple murders should be served back to back & no parole until full sentence is served.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Catsumi
Buddha of the Board

Re: A step in the right direction in the Justice system

Post by Catsumi »

Kudos to Justice Beth Hughes, a sane and sensible judge. :130:
Sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice. There’s a certain point at which ignorance becomes malice, at which there is simply no way to become THAT ignorant except deliberately and maliciously.

Unknown
my5cents
Guru

Post by my5cents »

Well the "full sentence" is actually life.

What the judge did here was make the eligibility for parole of 25 years for each life sentence to be served consecutively, 25 + 25.

We'll see what happens if the sentence is appealed.

I agree that parole eligibility, when someone is sentenced to multiple life sentences should be consecutive. Otherwise, the second, crime has no punishment attached at all.
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it"
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

my5cents wrote:Well the "full sentence" is actually life.

What the judge did here was make the eligibility for parole of 25 years for each life sentence to be served consecutively, 25 + 25.

We'll see what happens if the sentence is appealed.

I agree that parole eligibility, when someone is sentenced to multiple life sentences should be consecutive. Otherwise, the second, crime has no punishment attached at all.

Life in prison in Canada equals 25 years (that's the maximum sentence in Canada).
Of course my idea of life in prison is whole lot different, it will never happen.

Added later: Pickton should receive 25 years for each person he killed, to be served back to back.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
my5cents
Guru

Post by my5cents »

GordonH wrote:Life in prison in Canada equals 25 years (that's the maximum sentence in Canada).
Of course my idea of life in prison is whole lot different, it will never happen.

Added later: Pickton should receive 25 years for each person he killed, to be served back to back.

Common mistake. A life sentence is incarceration for life. With that sentence the courts provide the earliest a person sentenced to life can apply for parole. That can be 10 years, 15 years, 25 years etc. In Canada we don't have "Life Without Parole".

That doesn't mean a prisoner gets out of prison automatically after they have reached their parole eligibility, it means they can apply for parole.
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it"
Catsumi
Buddha of the Board

Post by Catsumi »

Even so, this is probably the best sentence for murder that we've seen in a long while.
Sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice. There’s a certain point at which ignorance becomes malice, at which there is simply no way to become THAT ignorant except deliberately and maliciously.

Unknown
jimmy4321
Guru

Post by jimmy4321 »

https://www.justice.gc.ca/eng/cj-jp/vic ... osees.html

"Life Sentences

In Canada, murder is either first or second degree. Persons convicted of either degree of murder must be sentenced to imprisonment for life. Persons convicted of first-degree murder are not eligible for parole until they have served at least 25 years of their sentence. Persons convicted of second-degree murder are not eligible for parole until they have served between 10 and 25 years, as determined by the Court. It is important to note that convicted persons who were under 18 at the time of the offence have different periods of parole ineligibility."
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

my5cents wrote:
GordonH wrote:Life in prison in Canada equals 25 years (that's the maximum sentence in Canada).

Common mistake. A life sentence is incarceration for life. With that sentence the courts provide the earliest a person sentenced to life can apply for parole. That can be 10 years, 15 years, 25 years etc. In Canada we don't have "Life Without Parole". impo that needs to change

That doesn't mean a prisoner gets out of prison automatically after they have reached their parole eligibility, it means they can apply for parole.

Then the family of the victim/s have to relive that pain every time the prisoner has a parole hearing (i.e Johnson & Bentley families) just to keep the criminal behind bars.
impo this is cruel punishment to the victims families
my5cents
Guru

Post by my5cents »

GordonH wrote:Then the family of the victim/s have to relive that pain every time the prisoner has a parole hearing (i.e Johnson & Bentley families) just to keep the criminal behind bars.
impo this is cruel punishment to the victims families

Yes, agree 100%. Seems all the concern is for the accused and subsequently the prisoner.
Hassel99
Lord of the Board

Post by Hassel99 »

People live longer now,

They should bump the Parole eligibility on a life sentence from 25 years to 35 years.

I bet a person could get elected on that line.
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

Hassel99 wrote:People live longer now,

They should bump the Parole eligibility on a life sentence from 25 years to 35 years.

I bet a person could get elected on that line.

I was thinking higher, since Canadian life expectancy is 82.3 years..... so life in Canada.
jimmy4321
Guru

Post by jimmy4321 »

25 yrs is a long time, if you messed up enough to get that in Canada- there's not a doubt in my mind after 25 yrs you will be a total *bleep* up if not already.
I my mind there not much middle ground if they're bad enough for life then give them life 25+ but if not and non violent or at least a low risk to reoffend(however that determined?), rehab them and get them out for a chance to get it right.
I'm not a shrink so I may be way out there.
my5cents
Guru

Post by my5cents »

I agree with you Jimmy.

Just think of a city you perhaps visited 25 years ago, or lived in 25 years ago and haven't returned to. Imagine the changes.

Someone who has been incarcerated for 25 years has likely lost (to death) many family members (if they are even speaking to them) and friends. After committing a crime in Canada that resulted in a life sentence with no parole for 25, you can imagine many (except maybe some fellow criminals) would dissolve any relationship.

So 25 years older, 25 years of somewhat isolation, virtually no friends or family....

Release is almost cruel and unusual punishment in itself.
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

my5cents wrote:I agree with you Jimmy.

Just think of a city you perhaps visited 25 years ago, or lived in 25 years ago and haven't returned to. Imagine the changes.

Someone who has been incarcerated for 25 years has likely lost (to death) many family members (if they are even speaking to them) and friends. After committing a crime in Canada that resulted in a life sentence with no parole for 25, you can imagine many (except maybe some fellow criminals) would dissolve any relationship.

So 25 years older, 25 years of somewhat isolation, virtually no friends or family....

Release is almost cruel and unusual punishment in itself.

I have absolutely no sympathy for anyone who has committed first or second degree murder (& certain manslaughter charges).
They have taken a life that will never come back.... ever.
Punishment must equal the crime committed, short of death row.
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

bumped

With this ruling the justice system has taken several steps backwards. Is this judge joking because I am not laughing.
https://www.castanet.net/news/BC/271983 ... hooting-ex

Return to “Canada”