Things we’d like to see in election platforms

Merry
Walks on Forum Water

Things we’d like to see in election platforms

Post by Merry »

It occurred to me that, with an election coming up, this might be an opportune time to let the Parties know what kind of things we’d like to see our future Government do.

The suggestions can range from suggestions for changes to existing Government Services, or new Services, or amendments to existing Laws, or new Laws, suggestions regarding trade (internal or external), immigration, education, healthcare, or anything else you have concerns about.

The only caveat is that this be a non political thread. No references to particular Party’s or particular Party Platforms. Discussion of the ideas suggested is welcomed, provided it stays non political.

I want us to try to do this because, if you’re like me, there are bits and pieces of each Party Platform that I’d like to see implemented, regardless of which Party wins (plus a few things none of the Parties have so far mentioned). And when we all stay in our particular Partisan cubbyholes, it restricts our ability to discuss all those ideas which are not being advocated by our Party of choice.

It’s going to be interesting to see whether or not we can discuss our aspirations and ideas in a totally non partisan way. But let’s at least give it a try.
"In a world swathed in political correctness, the voting booth remains the final sanctuary where the people are free to speak" - Clifford Orwin
Merry
Walks on Forum Water

Re: Things we’d like to see in election platforms

Post by Merry »

I’ll start us off.

After reading all the recent media stories about ethics in Government, and various posts on the subject right here in these forums, it seems to me that we’re all agreed that there ought to be consequences if and when politicians (of ANY political stripe) violate the rules they themselves have agreed to.

So one of the things I’d like to see the next Government do is amend the Conflict of Interest Act to include some kind of meaningful penalty for those who break it.
"In a world swathed in political correctness, the voting booth remains the final sanctuary where the people are free to speak" - Clifford Orwin
jimmy4321
Guru

Post by jimmy4321 »

A serious commitment to National Pharmacare, and since it is a pretty big undertaking at least some serious steps towards it.
Merry
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Merry »

Here’s another change I’d like.

Given that commercial drivers (both bus and truck) regularly drive across Provincial boundaries, we need national standards regarding training and licensing of all those drivers, and a standardization of safety rules for the vehicles they drive.

Therefore, I’d like a future Federal Government to commit to negotiating with the Provinces to try to achieve such national standards.
jimmy4321
Guru

Post by jimmy4321 »

Merry wrote:I’ll start us off.

After reading all the recent media stories about ethics in Government, and various posts on the subject right here in these forums, it seems to me that we’re all agreed that there ought to be consequences if and when politicians (of ANY political stripe) violate the rules they themselves have agreed to.

So one of the things I’d like to see the next Government do is amend the Conflict of Interest Act to include some kind of meaningful penalty for those who break it.

Separate Attorney General And Justice Minister Roles like othe similar governments
Merry
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Merry »

jimmy4321 wrote:A serious commitment to National Pharmacare, and since it is a pretty big undertaking at least some serious steps towards it.

I too would like to see this, regardless of which Party is in power after October.

Canada is the only country in the world with national Medicare, that doesn’t also offer national Pharmacare, and it’s time for that to change.

When I was younger and had drug coverage through work, this didn’t seem like such a big deal. But it soon becomes a very big deal if you lose your job, or when you retire.

So I’d definitely like to see our next Federal Government explore the idea of national Pharmacare.
JLives
Buddha of the Board

Post by JLives »

I would like to see somebody propose adding dental to universal healthcare because dental is healthcare.
"Every dollar you spend is a vote for what you believe in."
"My country is the world, and my religion is to do good."
Vacancyrate
Banned

Post by Vacancyrate »

Things I want to see :

- foreign buyers ban on real estate and heavy speculation taxes on "flippers"
- severely reduced immigration numbers
- increased training programs for Canadians
- eliminate the 50% corporate tax break that has gone on for the last 30 years
- cancellation of the TFW program
- elimination of corporate welfare and massive subsidies to profitable businesses
- creation of a national daycare system
- complete ban of advertising directed at children under 12 year old
- dental and optometry included in Canada's medical plan
- laws with teeth passed that ensure the Government works for the people and not large corporations (SNC)
- electoral reform and the elimination of FPTP

Things I don't care about :

- skin colour
- who you have sex with / which washroom you use
- Trump
- who thinks certain thoughts
- virtue signalling

I refuse to vote because it's a rigged system, but this is what I'd want if my vote actually mattered.
jimmy4321
Guru

Post by jimmy4321 »

JLives wrote:I would like to see somebody propose adding dental to universal healthcare because dental is healthcare.

At the very least till the age of 16 as it was in some provinces, maybe expand it over time to cover basics over that age
Last edited by jimmy4321 on Aug 24th, 2019, 9:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Merry
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Merry »

I’d also like to see our future Government commit to working with the Provinces to try to harmonize the various education curriculums.

These days people frequently have to move from Province to Province looking for work, and it shouldn’t be detrimental to your children’s education when you have to make such moves.

Governments always say they want to improve labour mobility, and working with other levels of Government to find ways to make moving easier on families is one way to help achieve that goal.

A national school curriculum, wth room for a few minor regional differences, would make it a lot easier for parents when making the decision to relocate. While also improving the educational outcomes of the children affected by such moves.
Merry
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Merry »

JLives wrote:I would like to see somebody propose adding dental to universal healthcare because dental is healthcare.

I agree if we’re talking basic care like check ups, fillings and extractions. But not for cosmetic stuff.
jimmy4321
Guru

Post by jimmy4321 »

I'd like to see the government come up with a *bleep* list of countries that if you step foot in , we are NOT liable to assist in saving your butt. Where we can't be sued etc.
That list would continuously be review and updated.
JLives
Buddha of the Board

Post by JLives »

Merry wrote:I agree if we’re talking basic care like check ups, fillings and extractions. But not for cosmetic stuff.

Yes. Nothing cosmetic but I'd like to see cleaning included as well.

We had to pay almost $800 for dental surgery for our daughter. She never formed her adult second upper bicuspid and the baby tooth started fusing to the bone causing quite a bit of pain. We were fortunate enough to be able to pay for it because otherwise there were no other options. How many people are just forced to live with the pain? It's just not right.
"Every dollar you spend is a vote for what you believe in."
"My country is the world, and my religion is to do good."
Merry
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Merry »

Inter provincial free trade, along the lines of the International agreements we’ve signed, is another thing I want to see our future Government get cracking on.

Politicians of all stripes have been talking about it for years, yet have never managed to fully achieve it. The agreement currently in place is like Swiss cheese, it’s so full of holes.

It’s ridiculous that we can successfully negotiate such agreements with other countries, yet never quite manage to do the same with other Provinces.

So I’d like to see our future Government appoint a chief negotiator, to sit down with representatives from all the Provinces and finally get a fully comprehensive free trade deal in place.
Merry
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Merry »

JLives wrote:
Merry wrote:I agree if we’re talking basic care like check ups, fillings and extractions. But not for cosmetic stuff.

Yes. Nothing cosmetic but I'd like to see cleaning included as well.

We had to pay almost $800 for dental surgery for our daughter. She never formed her adult second upper bicuspid and the baby tooth started fusing to the bone causing quite a bit of pain. We were fortunate enough to be able to pay for it because otherwise there were no other options. How many people are just forced to live with the pain? It's just not right.

An annual check up and cleaning would be a good start and, given the fact that many unresolved dental issues eventually lead to other health issues, it might actually save the system money in the long run.

At the very least, such minimal dental care should be available for minors.

Return to “Canada”