47622

Pumpkin spice lattes are racist

Re: Pumpkin spice lattes are racist

Postby Ka-El » Oct 10th, 2017, 2:48 pm

*removed*
Last edited by ferri on Oct 10th, 2017, 2:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Off topic
It's funny how people with the least knowledge of an issue often have the strongest opinions on it

The Green Barbarian likes this post.
User avatar
Ka-El
Lord of the Board
 
Posts: 3203
Likes: 1488 posts
Liked in: 2424 posts
Joined: Oct 18th, 2015, 9:19 am

Re: Pumpkin spice lattes are racist

Postby rustled » Oct 11th, 2017, 7:47 am

Poindexter wrote: With few exceptions, none on the right are ever going to vote for a Democrat anyway so whether or not conservatives were upset at the left's tone is irrelevant.

The real reason Hillary didn't get voted in was three fold: over confidence led to complacency on the left, Russian influence and inflexible liberal immigration policies. I can almost guarantee that many at ultraviolet didn't vote for Hillary. Especially after learning through Russian Hacks what the DNC had done to Bernie. Then there is the Russian character assassination of Hillary through what we're learning was an enormous social media assault in key states. I've already gone into how immigration policies have forced many to the right in not just the US but across the globe.

So when you say the left helped elect Trump I agree but not in the way you're trying to portray.

By dividing the US into two camps, left and right, you're missing something pretty vital, IMO.

Plenty of people aren't fully committed to either side. Each election cycle, they look at what matters to them, listen to the people they associate with at work, in social situations and in their homes, and then they vote accordingly.

What they hear from one extreme is "the reason your standard of living is going down is because of immigration and extreme environmentalism, so we'll build a wall and neuter the EPA".

What they hear from the extremists on the other side is "buying a pumpkin spice latte from Starbucks supports Trump racism".

When the moderates are calling you "racist" for simply trying to talk about issues related to race and immigration, and "climate change denier" for believing policies around climate change are worse, not better, for the environment and have hurt the poorest among you, it's not likely "pumpkin spice latte's are racist" and UltraViolet that are behind the push to the right. Those are the extreme tip of the iceberg.

It isn't the tip of the iceberg that takes down the Titanics. If we are able to consider the pumpkin spice boycott in that context, it's pretty clear what Phillips and Pie are trying to say.

The Green Barbarian likes this post.
rustled
Lord of the Board
 
Posts: 4281
Likes: 5282 posts
Liked in: 4259 posts
Joined: Dec 26th, 2010, 1:47 pm

Re: Pumpkin spice lattes are racist

Postby Poindexter » Oct 12th, 2017, 1:20 pm

Correct me if I'm wrong but Ultraviolet never said purchasing the flavour pumpkin spice is racist. Ultraviolet simply said that when buying your favourite fall flavour from Starbucks you should know that Trump profits from the rent of this store.

The actual doctorate paper that they pulled the pumpkin flavour is racist doesn't say this either. It was a marketing paper that warns of the perils of associating a flavour with the customer segment you're selling to, such as pumpkin which is apparently prefered by the white segment of customers .

You are right when you say it's divisive but you're pointing the figure in the wrong direction. In this case the right is trying to minimize any claim of racism by saying it's an overused term by the left. Not only that, they're trying to convince the left that they are to blame for other's racist views because they pushed them this way.

Ka-El likes this post.
User avatar
Poindexter
Lord of the Board
 
Posts: 4755
Likes: 2628 posts
Liked in: 3155 posts
Joined: May 26th, 2008, 11:44 am

Re: Pumpkin spice lattes are racist

Postby rustled » Oct 12th, 2017, 3:36 pm

Poindexter wrote:Correct me if I'm wrong but Ultraviolet never said purchasing the flavour pumpkin spice is racist. Ultraviolet simply said that when buying your favourite fall flavour from Starbucks you should know that Trump profits from the rent of this store.

The actual doctorate paper that they pulled the pumpkin flavour is racist doesn't say this either. It was a marketing paper that warns of the perils of associating a flavour with the customer segment you're selling to, such as pumpkin which is apparently prefered by the white segment of customers .

You are right when you say it's divisive but you're pointing the figure in the wrong direction. In this case the right is trying to minimize any claim of racism by saying it's an overused term by the left. Not only that, they're trying to convince the left that they are to blame for other's racist views because they pushed them this way.

That seems to be a very watered-down version of what UltraViolet was saying:

The Green Barbarian wrote:...
Image
...

The "pumpkin spice is racist" bit came from another person posting in this thread.

IMO, the UltraViolet "reminder" is a clear sign of how out of touch with ordinary people the liberal metropolitan elite have become. This being the extreme tip of that big nasty iceberg I keep banging on about. (People should feel guilty for buying a drink from Starbucks, because they pay rent to Trump, and therefore supporting Starbucks is supporting white supremacy, and racism in the White House? Really?)

At no time have I said the left is to blame for others' racist views. (BTW, I think you're missing the whole point by presuming people have racist views simply because they have concerns about race-related matters. Isn't this what Phillips was talking about, calling "racism" to invalidate their concerns, instead of simply understanding that people do have concerns we all ought to be discussing?)

I did say this kind of label-and-dismiss has helped pushed centrists to vote for the right, and it is interesting to me you seem to feel the smug, sanctimonious superciliousness of the far left has had absolutely no influence on pushing people in the center toward voting for the right.

The Green Barbarian likes this post.
rustled
Lord of the Board
 
Posts: 4281
Likes: 5282 posts
Liked in: 4259 posts
Joined: Dec 26th, 2010, 1:47 pm

Re: Pumpkin spice lattes are racist

Postby Poindexter » Oct 12th, 2017, 5:26 pm

Rustled: (People should feel guilty for buying a drink from Starbucks, because they pay rent to Trump, and therefore supporting Starbucks is supporting white supremacy, and racism in the White House? Really?)


Um, yup. The Starbucks at Trump Tower. :smt045

Look, the reality is the Republicans rode the southern strategy, an anti African American campaign, for decades in the south successfully. It was their meal ticket to a high priced meal and the bill has been delivered and it's Trump. To now say it's the Democrats fault that he got elected is a pathetic attempt at relinquishing responsibility.

I understand that there are times for reflection and maybe the left should be asking whether and how they contributed to this mess but not this time, the right owns Trump, and they will have to settle the bill on their own.

3 people like this post.
User avatar
Poindexter
Lord of the Board
 
Posts: 4755
Likes: 2628 posts
Liked in: 3155 posts
Joined: May 26th, 2008, 11:44 am

Re: Pumpkin spice lattes are racist

Postby Omnitheo » Oct 14th, 2017, 6:42 am

The left tried.

We put our support behind Bernie Sanders, and the establishment gave us Hillary Clinton.

We know the left would have voted left anyways though, provided they showed up. And the right would vote Right regardless of who their candidate was, and indeed more people did show up to vote Clinton than Trump.

But there were likely a large number of votes from people who knew nothing of politics and simply wanted a reality tv star as their president. Or the people who specifically wanted to see how much damage the man could cause.
"The Charter of Rights and Freedoms protects all Canadians, every one of us, even when it is uncomfortable."
- Justin Trudeau
User avatar
Omnitheo
Lord of the Board
 
Posts: 3127
Likes: 4510 posts
Liked in: 2024 posts
Joined: Jul 19th, 2011, 10:10 am

Re: Pumpkin spice lattes are racist

Postby the truth » Oct 14th, 2017, 8:43 am

imo, bernie sanders would of beaten trump in a landslide , but you smart leftwingers wanted hillary instead : :200:
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
User avatar
the truth
Walks on Forum Water
 
Posts: 12267
Likes: 7147 posts
Liked in: 4218 posts
Joined: May 16th, 2007, 9:24 pm
Location: kelowna

Re: Pumpkin spice lattes are racist

Postby Queen K » Oct 14th, 2017, 8:50 am

NO ONE wanted Hilary. I was pulling for Saunders myself.

Now go get me a Pumkin Spiced Latte please. :biggrin:
Please edit "Horgan" to "Premier Horgan" to show solidarity towards a successful tenure. Remember: The NDP Government: 2017 thread is not in the Bickering Room.

2 people like this post.
User avatar
Queen K
Queen of the Castle
 
Posts: 47691
Likes: 8187 posts
Liked in: 8969 posts
Joined: Jan 31st, 2007, 12:39 pm
Location: What? You mean here?

Re: Pumpkin spice lattes are racist

Postby the truth » Oct 14th, 2017, 8:56 am

Queen K wrote:NO ONE wanted Hilary. I was pulling for Saunders myself.

Now go get me a Pumkin Spiced Latte please. :biggrin:


sanders was the best of the bunch imo and yes i do realize he is a democrat lol
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
User avatar
the truth
Walks on Forum Water
 
Posts: 12267
Likes: 7147 posts
Liked in: 4218 posts
Joined: May 16th, 2007, 9:24 pm
Location: kelowna

Re: Pumpkin spice lattes are racist

Postby rustled » Oct 14th, 2017, 9:07 am

Poindexter wrote:
Rustled: (People should feel guilty for buying a drink from Starbucks, because they pay rent to Trump, and therefore supporting Starbucks is supporting white supremacy, and racism in the White House? Really?)


Um, yup. The Starbucks at Trump Tower. :smt045

Look, the reality is the Republicans rode the southern strategy, an anti African American campaign, for decades in the south successfully. It was their meal ticket to a high priced meal and the bill has been delivered and it's Trump. To now say it's the Democrats fault that he got elected is a pathetic attempt at relinquishing responsibility.

I understand that there are times for reflection and maybe the left should be asking whether and how they contributed to this mess but not this time, the right owns Trump, and they will have to settle the bill on their own.

It's nice to think that boycotting all the businesses that pay rent to Trump, thereby putting Trump out of business, will heal / solve the division in the US. But, seriously?

I have never said it's the Democrats' fault. I'd suggest that bit of perception bias may be a clear indication of how you read all my posts. It's interesting to me that you see my posts as a pathetic attempt at relinquishing responsibility for Trump having been elected. I'm not sure how I could ever have contributed to that, being a centrist observer with no voting privileges or social platform to speak of, but I am open to the possibility. Before I go off to do a little introspection on that topic, I'll leave you with this:

IMO, it's pretty clear the right does not own the problem of how someone like Trump gets into the White House. Fixing blame may feel satisfying in the short term, but it won't solve the problem. This problem is affecting, and will continue to affect, the entire country, across all spectrum from extreme right to extreme left, including the much larger "don't really care about politics until it affects me directly" mass in the center, and the majority of the country will have to come together to solve it.
rustled
Lord of the Board
 
Posts: 4281
Likes: 5282 posts
Liked in: 4259 posts
Joined: Dec 26th, 2010, 1:47 pm

Re: Pumpkin spice lattes are racist

Postby Piecemaker » Oct 14th, 2017, 12:49 pm

I've had two Pumpkin Spice Lattes this year. (They were bought by someone else and delivered to me for a surprise gift.) Yes, I experience white privilege, but I don't think the lattes are it.
It's possible to do all the right things and still get a bad result.

Queen K likes this post.
User avatar
Piecemaker
Walks on Forum Water
 
Posts: 11338
Likes: 1656 posts
Liked in: 1338 posts
Joined: Jun 6th, 2007, 8:43 pm
Location: Kelowna

Re: Pumpkin spice lattes are racist

Postby The Green Barbarian » Oct 17th, 2017, 10:46 am

Piecemaker wrote: Yes, I experience white privilege,


Such as?
Pierre Trudeau was an epic disaster for Canada. Like father like son.

Justin Trudeau is a bigot.
User avatar
The Green Barbarian
Buddha of the Board
 
Posts: 23511
Likes: 8807 posts
Liked in: 10450 posts
Joined: Sep 16th, 2010, 9:13 am

Re: Pumpkin spice lattes are racist

Postby Ka-El » Oct 17th, 2017, 11:18 am

Omnitheo wrote: But there were likely a large number of votes from people who knew nothing of politics and simply wanted a reality tv star as their president. Or the people who specifically wanted to see how much damage the man could cause.

Other than some deluded and ill-conceived idea to build a wall along the Mexican border, Trump has revealed his lack of vision and shown us his political talent is limited to attempts at destroying what others before him have accomplished. Sad.
It's funny how people with the least knowledge of an issue often have the strongest opinions on it
User avatar
Ka-El
Lord of the Board
 
Posts: 3203
Likes: 1488 posts
Liked in: 2424 posts
Joined: Oct 18th, 2015, 9:19 am

Re: Pumpkin spice lattes are racist

Postby The Green Barbarian » Oct 17th, 2017, 11:34 am

Omnitheo wrote:
But there were likely a large number of votes from people who knew nothing of politics and simply wanted a reality tv star as their president. Or the people who specifically wanted to see how much damage the man could cause.


or there were people who were extremely concerned about illegal immigration and were tired of being screamed at and insulted by leftist elitist nincompoops, so they voted in the only place that their voice could be heard, the ballot box. Like it or not, Trump knows how to tap into veins, and if you never venture outside your liberal media echo chamber, you would have no clue those veins even exist. How many Canadians even know about the huge illegal immigration issue in the US? If not, why not? Why can't we talk about it? Especially now that the problem is finally spilling over our borders too.
Pierre Trudeau was an epic disaster for Canada. Like father like son.

Justin Trudeau is a bigot.
User avatar
The Green Barbarian
Buddha of the Board
 
Posts: 23511
Likes: 8807 posts
Liked in: 10450 posts
Joined: Sep 16th, 2010, 9:13 am

Re: Pumpkin spice lattes are racist

Postby The Green Barbarian » Oct 17th, 2017, 11:36 am

Poindexter wrote:To now say it's the Democrats fault that he got elected is a pathetic attempt at relinquishing responsibility.
.


And to dismiss the smug, sanctimonious superciliousness of the far left (what great prose, wish I could take credit for it!) and feeling that it had absolutely no influence on pushing people in the center toward voting for the right is a pathetic attempt at relinquishing responsibility too.
Pierre Trudeau was an epic disaster for Canada. Like father like son.

Justin Trudeau is a bigot.
User avatar
The Green Barbarian
Buddha of the Board
 
Posts: 23511
Likes: 8807 posts
Liked in: 10450 posts
Joined: Sep 16th, 2010, 9:13 am

Previous

Return to World

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Sparki55 and 4 guests