Another shooting rocks the world

Re: Another shooting rocks the world

Postby Poindexter » Nov 7th, 2017, 1:05 pm

Glacier wrote:The long and short of it is that we need better enforcement of gun laws, not more gun laws. This guy should NOT have been able to get a gun. He should have been in jail perhaps. Existing laws state he shouldn't have had a gun, and yet he did. Enforce existing laws. Adding new laws that are only applied to law abiding citizens who voluntarily obey them does not make anyone safer. http://www.dailywire.com/news/23280/why ... en-shapiro


He did serve a year in military jail for domestic abuse which obviously didn't help.
The fact he filled out all the required paperwork but still managed to purchase a weapon is something they should address by either charging the gun seller, or changing the way information provided on the paperwork is verified if the seller of the gun did everything appropriately.
User avatar
Poindexter
Guru
 
Posts: 5475
Likes: 3423 posts
Liked in: 3969 posts
Joined: May 26th, 2008, 11:44 am

Re: Another shooting rocks the world

Postby Verum » Nov 7th, 2017, 2:09 pm

Glacier wrote:The long and short of it is that we need better enforcement of gun laws, not more gun laws. This guy should NOT have been able to get a gun. He should have been in jail perhaps. Existing laws state he shouldn't have had a gun, and yet he did. Enforce existing laws. Adding new laws that are only applied to law abiding citizens who voluntarily obey them does not make anyone safer. http://www.dailywire.com/news/23280/why ... en-shapiro

Do you not see the fallacies in your arguments?
1. The laws as they are are difficult to apply, not least because of the widespread availability of guns.
2. If the current laws are not being enforced, maybe they are unenforceable and better laws are the solution. I doubt that you or I could reasonably recommend what those laws should be.
3. New laws especially when they replace old laws, do not just get applied to and by law abiding citizens, but rather can have more widespread effects, including making it harder for criminals to break the law in the ways they currently can do and easier to catch them when they do. This complaint that laws only affect law abiding people is one of the most often repeated themes by the pro-gun lobby and it is just so obviously wrong. Laws can have widespread consequences, not always good, but they certainly do not just affect law abiding people. This is true even when they are only applied to them.

While it is clear that you were just stating your non-expert opinion, like Shapiro, it is unfortunate that so many non-experts with skin in the game are spouting their opinions without being so clear about their own limitations. We need to bring in real experts, people who understand the situation, people who have studied it in detail and who can provide workable solutions. We need politicians who are willing to put the law in their hands and not just play to their financiers or more extreme supporters. The end result may even mean more guns on the streets, or very few, but doubling down and demanding that more law enforcement is the solution, ignores the fact that while it may be part of the solution, the solution is almost certainly nowhere near as simple as the partisans on both sides would have you believe.
"Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience." Explains why so few people reply to me, and why I might not reply
Verum
Übergod
 
Posts: 1111
Likes: 523 posts
Liked in: 858 posts
Joined: Oct 6th, 2017, 12:31 am

Re: Another shooting rocks the world

Postby Glacier » Nov 7th, 2017, 2:26 pm

Verum wrote:Do you not see the fallacies in your arguments?
1. The laws as they are are difficult to apply, not least because of the widespread availability of guns.
2. If the current laws are not being enforced, maybe they are unenforceable and better laws are the solution. I doubt that you or I could reasonably recommend what those laws should be.
3. New laws especially when they replace old laws, do not just get applied to and by law abiding citizens, but rather can have more widespread effects, including making it harder for criminals to break the law in the ways they currently can do and easier to catch them when they do. This complaint that laws only affect law abiding people is one of the most often repeated themes by the pro-gun lobby and it is just so obviously wrong. Laws can have widespread consequences, not always good, but they certainly do not just affect law abiding people. This is true even when they are only applied to them.

While it is clear that you were just stating your non-expert opinion, like Shapiro, it is unfortunate that so many non-experts with skin in the game are spouting their opinions without being so clear about their own limitations. We need to bring in real experts, people who understand the situation, people who have studied it in detail and who can provide workable solutions. We need politicians who are willing to put the law in their hands and not just play to their financiers or more extreme supporters. The end result may even mean more guns on the streets, or very few, but doubling down and demanding that more law enforcement is the solution, ignores the fact that while it may be part of the solution, the solution is almost certainly nowhere near as simple as the partisans on both sides would have you believe.

You are also not an expert. I agree, bring in real experts, and focus on reducing crime, violence, and murder.

Anyway, the law is not hard to apply. They should have had the guy on the FBI list. He was not there. Experts should figure out what the hell happened here so it never happens again.

BTW, far fewer people are owning guns these days in the USA. https://www.huffingtonpost.com/josh-sug ... 82326.html
User avatar
Glacier
Admiral HMS Castanet
 
Posts: 27062
Likes: 2969 posts
Liked in: 9224 posts
Joined: Jul 6th, 2008, 10:41 pm

Re: Another shooting rocks the world

Postby Verum » Nov 7th, 2017, 2:36 pm

Glacier wrote:You are also not an expert. I agree, bring in real experts, and focus on reducing crime, violence, and murder.

Anyway, the law is not hard to apply. They should have had the guy on the FBI list. He was not there. Experts should figure out what the hell happened here so it never happens again.

BTW, far fewer people are owning guns these days in the USA. https://www.huffingtonpost.com/josh-sug ... 82326.html

Certainly and I hope I didn't give the impression that I thought I was.
"Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience." Explains why so few people reply to me, and why I might not reply
Verum
Übergod
 
Posts: 1111
Likes: 523 posts
Liked in: 858 posts
Joined: Oct 6th, 2017, 12:31 am

Re: Another shooting rocks the world

Postby maryjane48 » Nov 14th, 2017, 11:52 am

User avatar
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board
 
Posts: 17124
Likes: 10586 posts
Liked in: 2668 posts
Joined: May 28th, 2010, 7:58 pm

Re: Another shooting rocks the world

Postby Queen K » Nov 14th, 2017, 11:58 am

https://www.castanet.net/edition/news-s ... htm#211517


http://www.cnn.com/2017/11/14/us/califo ... index.html

Four dead, including the shooter now. Seven different shooting sites.

"Now is not the time to talk about gun control!" ya right. When?
Our saddest days are when we add up our losses, and losses seem to be our saddest when we lose our best. Proud to be a "Leaf-licker" and I know who else is too. **smiles**

maryjane48 likes this post.
User avatar
Queen K
Queen of the Castle
 
Posts: 52270
Likes: 11772 posts
Liked in: 12237 posts
Joined: Jan 31st, 2007, 12:39 pm
Location: What? You mean here?

Re: Las Vegas Shooting 50+DEAD 400+Injured

Postby Dizzy1 » Dec 6th, 2017, 2:29 pm

Had some meetings get pushed back a day, so we decided to rebook ourselves for a quick detour thru this awesome city.

There were a few flowers on the sidewalk across the street at the Vegas Village, but the official memorial has been moved into the Arts District up by Charleston

Image
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water
 
Posts: 10778
Likes: 4507 posts
Liked in: 5131 posts
Joined: Feb 12th, 2011, 2:56 pm

Re: Las Vegas Shooting 50+DEAD 400+Injured

Postby maryjane48 » Dec 6th, 2017, 6:03 pm

Tucker probes unanswered questions

http://insider.foxnews.com/2017/11/02/t ... g-massacre

We can see that there [were] exits in the plans, in the maps. And then when you're actually there, you can see that most of the exits were blocked, many of the exits were behind fences, and there [were] really only two places in which to escape," Eiland said. "And that's very concerning, especially when people got hit and killed ten minutes after the shooting started."

As for gunman Stephen Paddock, Eiland revealed that he arrived at the Mandalay Bay Resort and Casino with ten bags, and two bellhops helped him carry those bags to his room on the 32nd floor. He said those bags contained more than 20 guns and 5,000 rounds of ammunition.
User avatar
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board
 
Posts: 17124
Likes: 10586 posts
Liked in: 2668 posts
Joined: May 28th, 2010, 7:58 pm

Re: Another shooting rocks the world

Postby Glacier » Feb 6th, 2018, 4:01 pm

I'm only the messenger, so don't get upset with the source. It is what it is...

Las Vegas massacre gunman Stephen Paddock was paranoid that he was a victim of government mind control, according to a prostitute who stayed in his infamous Mandalay Bay hotel suite.


https://www.infowars.com/report-stephen ... d-control/
User avatar
Glacier
Admiral HMS Castanet
 
Posts: 27062
Likes: 2969 posts
Liked in: 9224 posts
Joined: Jul 6th, 2008, 10:41 pm

Re: Another shooting rocks the world

Postby GordonH » Feb 14th, 2018, 1:54 pm

When you have to start compromising yourself and your morals for the people around you, it’s probably time to change the people around you.
User avatar
GordonH
Buddha of the Board
 
Posts: 20137
Likes: 2228 posts
Liked in: 6987 posts
Joined: Oct 4th, 2008, 7:21 pm
Location: Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning

Re: Another shooting rocks the world

Postby alanjh595 » Feb 14th, 2018, 1:56 pm

OH NO........not again!
If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you.
User avatar
alanjh595
Lord of the Board
 
Posts: 3857
Likes: 1535 posts
Liked in: 2398 posts
Joined: Oct 20th, 2017, 5:18 pm

Re: Another shooting rocks the world

Postby Glacier » Feb 14th, 2018, 2:51 pm

That'll teach her for turning him down... Men (and peoplekind in general) are so entitled these days they don't know what to do when they get rejected or dumped or any other difficult roadblock.

"Life is suffering." ~ Jordan B. Peterson
User avatar
Glacier
Admiral HMS Castanet
 
Posts: 27062
Likes: 2969 posts
Liked in: 9224 posts
Joined: Jul 6th, 2008, 10:41 pm

Re: Another shooting rocks the world

Postby RupertBear » Feb 14th, 2018, 3:28 pm

alanjh595 wrote:OH NO........not again!


Americans keep killing Americans at an alarming rate and the NRA will ensure nothing is done about it. Meanwhile, Trump wants to spend billions of dollars on a wall that will be nothing more than a permanent reminder of the Republican’s rampant fear of anything not white.
RupertBear
Board Meister
 
Posts: 355
Likes: 194 posts
Liked in: 379 posts
Joined: Feb 24th, 2010, 10:00 pm

Re: Another shooting rocks the world

Postby alanjh595 » Feb 14th, 2018, 3:36 pm

RupertBear wrote:
alanjh595 wrote:OH NO........not again!


Americans keep killing Americans at an alarming rate and the NRA will ensure nothing is done about it. Meanwhile, Trump wants to spend billions of dollars on a wall that will be nothing more than a permanent reminder of the Republican’s rampant fear of anything not white.


Let's TRY and keep politics out of this. There are plenty of other forums to express your opinions on politics available for you to use.
Can we not just have one for the news of this incident and the welfare of the children involved. Just once? Please?
If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you.
User avatar
alanjh595
Lord of the Board
 
Posts: 3857
Likes: 1535 posts
Liked in: 2398 posts
Joined: Oct 20th, 2017, 5:18 pm

Re: Another shooting rocks the world

Postby Glacier » Feb 14th, 2018, 3:41 pm

RupertBear wrote:Americans keep killing Americans at an alarming rate and the NRA will ensure nothing is done about it. Meanwhile, Trump wants to spend billions of dollars on a wall that will be nothing more than a permanent reminder of the Republican’s rampant fear of anything not white.

The homicide rate in Mexico is FAR, FAR greater than it is the US.

P.S. We've had a lot of shooting rampages and bombings by Muhammads, but this is the first time we've had a shooting conducted by a Jesus.
User avatar
Glacier
Admiral HMS Castanet
 
Posts: 27062
Likes: 2969 posts
Liked in: 9224 posts
Joined: Jul 6th, 2008, 10:41 pm

PreviousNext

Return to World

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: CommonCrawl [Bot], Jonrox and 5 guests