Another shooting rocks the world

Re: Another shooting rocks the world

Postby alanjh595 » Feb 14th, 2018, 4:04 pm

School shooter in custody

A shooter opened fire at a Florida high school Wednesday, killing "numerous" people, sending students running out into the streets and SWAT team members swarming in before authorities took the shooter into custody.

Frantic parents rushed to the scene and ambulances converged in front of the Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School. Live footage showed emergency workers appearing to treat possibly wounded people on the sidewalks.

The Broward County Sheriff's Office tweeted Wednesday afternoon that "so far we have at least 14 victims." The tweet added: "Victims have been and continue to be transported to Broward Health Medical Center and Broward Health North hospital."

Broward County Schools Superintendent Robert Runcie said there were "numerous fatalities."

It is a horrific situation." He added, "It is a horrible day for us."

The Broward Schools department said on its website that students and staff heard what sounded like gunfire and the school immediately went on lockdown.

https://www.castanet.net/news/World/218 ... in-custody
alanjh595
Lord of the Board

Liked in: 2216 posts

Postby alanjh595 » Feb 14th, 2018, 4:33 pm

School shooter ID'd

UPDATE: 3:15 p.m.

A former student opened fire at a Florida high school Wednesday, killing "numerous" people, sending students running out into the streets and SWAT team members swarming in before authorities took him into custody about a mile away.

Frantic parents rushed to the scene and ambulances converged in front of the Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School. Live footage showed emergency workers appearing to treat possibly wounded people on the sidewalks.

The Broward County Sheriff's Office tweeted Wednesday afternoon that "so far we have at least 14 victims." The tweet added: "Victims have been and continue to be transported to Broward Health Medical Center and Broward Health North hospital."

Broward County Schools Superintendent Robert Runcie said there were "numerous fatalities."

"It is a horrific situation." He added, "It is a horrible day for us."

The male shooter was identified as Nicolas Cruz, said a U.S. official briefed on the investigation. The official spoke on condition of anonymity because he was not authorized to discuss the information publicly. Previously, Broward County Sheriff Scott Israel had said the shooter was a former student. He said the shooter was outside and inside the school at points during the attack, and taken into custody "without incident" about an hour after he left the school. Israel said police were waiting for the SWAT team to give them the all-clear so that they could go inside the school.

Michael Nembhard said he was sitting in his garage about a mile away from the school watching the coverage on TV when he heard a police officer yelling, "Get on the ground, get on the ground, get on the ground!" He looked up and about 150 yards away he saw a teenage boy on the ground and an officer pointing a gun at him. The officer stood over the boy until other officers arrived, and the boy was handcuffed behind his back and taken away, Nembhard said.

At the school, Noah Parness, a 17-year-old junior, said the fire alarm went off for the second time of the day about 2:30 p.m. He said he and the other students calmly went outside to their fire drill areas when he suddenly heard several pops.

"Everyone was kind of just standing there calm, and then we saw a bunch of teachers running down the stairway, and then everybody shifted and broke into a sprint," Parness said. "I hopped a fence."

https://www.castanet.net/news/World/218 ... ooter-ID-d
alanjh595
Lord of the Board

Postby bob vernon » Feb 14th, 2018, 4:49 pm

"Now is not the time for political division. Now is the time to grieve."

Translation: let's just sweep another mass shooting under the rug.

4 people like this post.
bob vernon
Grand Pooh-bah

Liked in: 1086 posts

Postby alanjh595 » Feb 14th, 2018, 4:52 pm

17 DEAD CHILDREN.

School shooting, 17 dead
The Canadian Press - Feb 14, 2018 / 3:41 pm | Story: 218888

Photo: WSVN
UPDATE: 3:40 p.m.

The Broward County Sheriff's Office says 17 are dead in a shooting at a high school in South Florida

Children that were not old enough to even drive a car.

My heart goes out to each and every one of them and their families. I am so sorry for your losses.
alanjh595
Lord of the Board

Postby Bigjohn69 » Feb 14th, 2018, 5:12 pm

https://nypost.com/2018/02/14/florida-s ... with-guns/

“He’s been a troubled kid, and he’s always had a certain amount of issues going on,” the boy explained. “He shot guns because he felt it gave him, I guess, an exhilarating feeling.”

The alleged shooter — identified as Nicolas

Sad but not a,surprise
Bigjohn69
Fledgling

Liked in: 76 posts

Postby Bigjohn69 » Feb 14th, 2018, 5:16 pm

That’s an average of one school shooting every 60 hours thus far in 2018, more than double the number of school shootings recorded in any of the previous three years in that same period. Those numbers are according to data compiled by the gun control advocacy organization Everytown for Gun Safety, which defines a school shooting as any time a firearm is discharged on or around a campus.

http://huffp.st/RL66M5G

Tragic day for so many people, but highly preventable with common sense laws
Bigjohn69
Fledgling

Postby GordonH » Feb 14th, 2018, 5:17 pm

https://www.castanet.net/news/World/218 ... r-kills-17

My condolences to All of the Families & Friends who lost someone today in all of this craziness.
Next up: 2018 Memorial Cup, May 17–27, 2018. Teams QJMHL Acadie-Bathurst Titan, OHL Hamilton Bulldogs, WHL Swift Current Broncos & Host Team/Regina Pats
GordonH
Buddha of the Board

Liked in: 6850 posts
Location: Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning

Postby Snman » Feb 14th, 2018, 5:44 pm

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/0/one-m ... e-america/

From last November but interesting nonetheless, imho.
Snman
Generalissimo Postalot

Liked in: 668 posts

Postby Verum » Feb 14th, 2018, 5:44 pm

Glacier wrote:"Life is suffering." ~ Jordan B. Peterson

I think that the Buddha might have beaten him to it by a little bit.

alanjh595 wrote:Let's TRY and keep politics out of this. There are plenty of other forums to express your opinions on politics available for you to use.
Can we not just have one for the news of this incident and the welfare of the children involved. Just once? Please?

For the welfare of all the otherwise future victims of these kinds of actions, we need to have discussions and actions. People often leave it until a "respectful" time has passed and then nothing happens. Maybe while it is fresh in people's minds is the right time to discuss it and honour the dead by making sure that the future has fewer suffer the same fate. It is a sad day, but if we do nothing, if we keep politics out of it, as so many seem keen to do, we just guarantee that the same will continue to happen, again and again.

It might make you uncomfortable, but it should do so. This is not a safe space.
"Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience." Explains why so few people reply to me, and why I might not reply

3 people like this post.
Verum
Übergod

Liked in: 782 posts

Postby Bigjohn69 » Feb 14th, 2018, 7:42 pm

https://heavy.com/news/2018/02/nicolas- ... instagram/

Looks to be against Muslims and was pro trump.
Bigjohn69
Fledgling

Postby RupertBear » Feb 14th, 2018, 8:09 pm

Americans keep killing Americans at an alarming rate and the NRA will ensure nothing is done about it. Meanwhile, Trump wants to spend billions of dollars on a wall that will be nothing more than a permanent reminder of the Republican’s rampant fear of anything not white.[/quote]

Let's TRY and keep politics out of this. There are plenty of other forums to express your opinions on politics available for you to use.
Can we not just have one for the news of this incident and the welfare of the children involved. Just once? Please?[/quote]

As sad as this and countless other shootings are, thoughts and prayers and concern for the welfare of those involved won’t change anything. It’s the politics of the gun that keeps them happening.
RupertBear
Fledgling

Liked in: 341 posts

Postby Glacier » Feb 14th, 2018, 10:26 pm

RupertBear wrote:
As sad as this and countless other shootings are, thoughts and prayers and concern for the welfare of those involved won’t change anything. It’s the politics of the gun that keeps them happening.

What a sad narcissistic comment. Families are suffering, and your first thought is to condemn those expressing condolences. What if it was your kid shot? Totally heartless. And to top it off, you don't blame the shooter, but weapon used. Imagine if I drove drunk through an intersection and killed your kid, and everyone didn't blame me, but fast car I was driving.
Glacier
Admiral HMS Castanet

Liked in: 9072 posts

Postby Verum » Feb 14th, 2018, 10:38 pm

Glacier wrote:
RupertBear wrote:

What a sad narcissistic comment. Families are suffering, and your first thought is to condemn those expressing condolences. What if it was your kid shot? Totally heartless. And to top it off, you don't blame the shooter, but weapon used. Imagine if I drove drunk through an intersection and killed your kid, and everyone didn't blame me, but fast car I was driving.

There is no condemnation of those expressing condolences, just the clear realisation that they don't change a thing. You framing RupertBear's comment as if they were condemning those who express condolences is either deliberate misrepresentation or a serious lack of comprehension.

Yes, the gun(s) used are not to blame and RupertBear didn't blame them, as is abundantly clear. That doesn't mean that "the politics of the gun" is not at least somewhat to blame for the situation and the fact that similar events are so common. The US particularly has a problem with violence involving guns and certain lobby groups work tirelessly to prevent any significant discussion around potentially reducing the prevalence of the weapons used in such incidents.
"Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience." Explains why so few people reply to me, and why I might not reply
Verum
Übergod

Postby averagejoe » Feb 14th, 2018, 11:31 pm

RupertBear wrote:Let's TRY and keep politics out of this. There are plenty of other forums to express your opinions on politics available for you to use.

Yes lets keep politics out of this....another mentally unstable leftist! :-X

I don't think he was a Trump supporter...looks more like a Stalin supporter.

Ecclesiastes 10:2 A wise man's heart is at his right hand; but a fool's heart at his left.
averagejoe
Walks on Forum Water

Liked in: 1813 posts

Postby Verum » Feb 14th, 2018, 11:40 pm

averagejoe wrote:
Yes lets keep politics out of this....another mentally unstable leftist! :-X

I don't think he was a Trump supporter...looks more like a Stalin supporter.

Did you just request that we leave politics out of this and then instantly go an claim this guy is a "leftist"? Well done on the quickest demonstration of hypocrisy I've seen in months.
Verum
Übergod

PreviousNext

Return to World