South Korea gets biggest snowfall in 100yrs

coffeeFreak
Guru

South Korea gets biggest snowfall in 100yrs

Post by coffeeFreak »

Crazy weather!

3 feet of snow covers South Korea's eastern coast

t1larg.korea.snow.afp.gi.jpg

South Korean soldiers were digging out cars and searching for trapped residents Monday as areas along its eastern coast tried to recover from the biggest snowfall in 100 years.

More than 39 inches (1 meter) of snow blanketed the area over the weekend, according to the Yonhap news agency. The city of Gangneung got more than 30 inches (77.7 centimeters) on Friday alone, Yonhap said, the most ever recorded since record-keeping began in 1911.

And more is likely to come. More than 19 inches (50 centimeters) was forecast to fall Monday, the Chosun Ilbo newspaper reported.

The Gangwon provincial government reported $4.3 million in property damage from the snow, Yonhap said.

More than 300 people were trapped in their homes in isolated mountain areas, The Korea Herald reported. Authorities had dispatched 22,000 workers and 1,750 snowplows to the area to clear the snow, it said.

See an iReporter's tour of snowy Chuam Beach.
http://news.blogs.cnn.com/2011/02/14/3-feet-of-snow-covers-south-koreas-eastern-coast/
Born_again
Guru

Re: South Korea gets biggest snowfall in 100yrs

Post by Born_again »

Gawd!! If I saw that mess outside my window then I'd go to my larder and check how many cans of baked beans and clam chowder I had.
grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Re: South Korea gets biggest snowfall in 100yrs

Post by grammafreddy »

I'm with you there, BA, although you wouldn't find any clam chowder in my larder. :-& Between my freezer and my canning room, I could go quite a while if it snowed like that and we couldn't get out.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
We are a generation of idiots - smart phones and dumb people.

You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.

Return to “World”