Cuba to fire a half million "state workers".

NAB
Buddha of the Board

Cuba to fire a half million "state workers".

Post by NAB »

What a remarkable development! But surely those numbers cannot be right? A half million "state workers" are about 10% of the Island's state run labour force??? A country with a total population of less than 12 million souls (barely more than just over twice the population of BC?)
Nab

Cuban government and union officials are acknowledging for the first time that a drive to fire half a million unneeded state workers has gotten off to a slow start.

President Raul Castro announced the layoffs as part of a major overhaul of the Cuban economy, saying the state could no longer afford to pay people who didn't work. The firings amount to about 10 per cent of the island's labour force.

Read more: http://www.cbc.ca/world/story/2011/02/1 ... z1DybUBqnh
"He who controls others may be powerful, but he who has mastered himself is mightier still." - Lao-Tzu
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Re: Cuba to fire a half million "state workers".

Post by Queen K »

I have no idea what is going on there, but it makes BC's problems look like child's play.
Last edited by Queen K on Feb 14th, 2011, 4:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
kompili
Walks on Forum Water

Post by kompili »

Might be a good thing to look at here in Canada.
We Have Been Conditioned To See Only What They Want Us To See.
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Post by The Green Barbarian »

for all of the clued-out people out there over the years that have informed me in no uncertain terms that Cuba is "the way Canada should be" etc I say :dyinglaughing:
"The woke narcissists who make up the progressive left are characterized by an absolute lack of such conscience, but are experts at exploiting its presence in others." - Jordan Peterson
kompili
Walks on Forum Water

Post by kompili »

The Green Barbarian wrote:for all of the clued-out people out there over the years that have informed me in no uncertain terms that Cuba is "the way Canada should be" etc I say :dyinglaughing:

I really can't believe anyone thinks Canada should be like Cuba, maybe adopt some of their methods of doing certain things yes.
We Have Been Conditioned To See Only What They Want Us To See.
NAB
Buddha of the Board

Post by NAB »

This really got to me..

"President Raul Castro announced the layoffs as part of a major overhaul of the Cuban economy, saying the state could no longer afford to pay people who didn't work"

What State in its right mind pays people who don't work?

Nab
"He who controls others may be powerful, but he who has mastered himself is mightier still." - Lao-Tzu
steven lloyd
Buddha of the Board

Post by steven lloyd »

NAB wrote: What State in its right mind pays people who don't work?

Wow! I can hardly wait for the responses to this one.
grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Post by grammafreddy »

http://www.presstv.ir/detail/142415.html

Cuba to fire one million state workers
Tue Sep 14, 2010 4:20AM

Facing a severe budget deficit, Cuba's government has decided to lay off over a million of its work force.
Cuba has announced plans to lay off at least one million state employees as part of a move to revive the country's struggling economy.

The Cuban Labor Union announced on Monday that half a million of state workers would lose their jobs over the next six months alone.

The rest will be eventually fired during the next few years, mounting the total number of those fired to more than a million.

Those laid off will be encouraged to become self-employed or join new private enterprises.

This is said to be the biggest private sector shift since the 1959 revolution that eventually led to a communist system in Cuba.

"Our state cannot and should not continue maintaining companies, productive entities and services with inflated payrolls and losses that damage our economy," the labor union said in a statement.

It also said that it is necessary to reduce social spending as well as eliminate excessive subsidies and early retirement.

The Cuban government pays average monthly salaries of $20 to its citizens but it also provides free education and health care and heavily subsidizes housing, transportation and basic food.

The state sector currently accounts for 95 percent of all economic activities in the country.

The government now plans to promote the private sector and allow Cubans to start small businesses.

President Raul Castro had announced layoffs in August, but said they would occur over the next five years.

Castro has launched a few, small free-market reforms since taking over from his brother Fidel Castro in 2006.

MN/FF/MMA
__________________________________________________________________________________________
We are a generation of idiots - smart phones and dumb people.

You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.

Return to “World”