Dog owner sought after pitbull on the loose kills poodle

StraitTalk
Lord of the Board

Re: Dog owner sought after pitbull on the loose kills poodle

Post by StraitTalk »

logicalview wrote:
ferri wrote:
StraitTalk wrote:Fact: The temperament of an animal has more to do with the treatment and care it receives than the breed.

i'll agree with this with a big BUT...certain breeds have certain traits that no matter how well you treat them, or train them, they are always there. just think of different breeds and the one trait that pops into your head. it's what they have been bred for.

pitbulls were bred for behavior. They are fighting dogs. The treatment or care of a herding dog can't erase its instinct to herd Just like you can't treat or care for the killing instinct out of a pitbull.

If it is illegal for me to rush up to your leashed dog, repeatedly stab it, chop off chunks of flesh, why is it legal for anyone to continue to breed dogs that are created to do that very same thing?

Fact: The temperament of an animal has more to do with the treatment and care it receives than the breed.

Are you intentionally missing the point? Nobody ever said you could erase instinct but you can correct it.
logicalview
Guru

Post by logicalview »

StraitTalk wrote: Nobody ever said you could erase instinct but you can correct it.

Why even take the chance or bother.....

The instinct of pitbulls is to due to selective breeding practices, pit bulls do not "run off." They stick around and continue attacking. Pit bulls have unmatched tenacity -- the ability to continue to fight even when considerable harm is inflicted upon them. They were bred to "finish" a fight and to do so at the cost of death. Thus making pit bulls all the more deadly to people and our pets.
Not afraid to say "It".
strwbrrydvl
Guru

Post by strwbrrydvl »

I have not participated in the last couple threads on this topic because the blind hatred absolutely disgusts me.. I'll add my 2 cents here though I know, as always, logic takes a backseat - misinterpreting facts/statistics and regurgitating the same media fueled fear is the norm.

Logicalview & others with misinformation; pitbulls were originally bred to be fighting dogs but not because they are mentally 'blood thirsty'. They were bred from bulldogs and terriers - one to get the stature and power and the other for it's speed and intelligence. Their small, powerful size and eagerness to please their masters is why they were (ab)used for fighting back in the 1800's and still today. It is a very sad history these dogs have been given, absolutely pathetic what people do to animals for their own entertainment. Many breeds have that drive to not back down when in a fight. You must understand that dogs are either trained to fight or they are not socialized which results in aggression towards others. Every dog, be it an apbt or a yorkie, should have a capable owner training and loving them. IMO most of the owners that have aggressive dogs (of any breed) have raised it wrong, intentionally or not. Rarely a dog just 'snaps', years of neglect/abuse or an illness (chemical imbalances like what causes depression or other mental disorders in people can occur in pets too) are the cause. Take the time to get to know an APBT and it's responsible owner, the APBT's that have caused harm to other dogs or people are NOT the norm.
Read up on the APBT history here.

As far as this poodle case is concerned, the APBT's owner is nowhere to be found... Who knows what kind of environment this dog came from?
Some people develop a wishbone where their backbone should be.
Omnitheo
Guru

Post by Omnitheo »

I have known many APBTs in my life, and have never known a mean one. (I know someone who owns 4! and they are the biggest sucks ever, you can't lie on the couch without them coming to join you...on top of you lol)

By contrast, I have known 2 poodles, and both of them were the meanest scariest dogs i've ever seen.

Not saying my experiences are an indicator of the entire breeds, but it's at least a different experience than those on here who are blinded by their hatred of the pit bull breed.

And thank you strwbrrydvl for your intelligent post
"Dishwashers, the dishwasher, right? You press it. Remember the dishwasher, you press it, there'd be like an explosion. Five minutes later you open it up the steam pours out, the dishes -- now you press it 12 times, women tell me again." - Trump
fvkasm2x
Guru

Post by fvkasm2x »

I read an interesting viewpoint a few weeks ago about the pitbull paranoia.

It was by an "older" woman who said something like the following (I'm paraphrasing by memory) in the comments section of a news article online:

Back when I was a young girl, everyone was afraid of German Shepherds. I think a lot of it had to do with them being police dogs. They were authoritative and mean (or so we thought). They weren't something you had as a pet. Cocker Spaniels and Border Collies were pets. Then when I was in my 20's, the fear shifted to Dobermans. Gangsters had dobermans. Germans had dobermans. They were an evil dog. Then in my middle years, all the "bad boys" wanted to get Rottweilers. They were mean and could rip your throat out in seconds. Nobody was afraid of Dobermans or Shepherds anymore.... it was those dang Rotties you had to watch out for. Now that I'm an elderly old lady, I have to keep my eyes on those menacing Pitbulls. Dogs of Satan, you know.

I wonder what dog it will be next? Perhaps history will repeat itself and we'll start over from the beginning again."

She has a good point.
logicalview
Guru

Post by logicalview »

Trigger the pit bull's fate has been decided.

After a 90-minute trial in provincial court Wednesday, Justice Michael Frederiksen decided the six-year-old pit bull is a “serious threat” to the public and ordered the dog euthanized.

Trigger attacked and killed Max, a black shih tzu-toy poodle, outside an Orillia apartment building on April 27.

Asked what he wanted for his last meal Trigger responded, "More poodle please, and hold the leash".
Not afraid to say "It".
oneh2obabe
feistres Goruchaf y Bwrdd

Post by oneh2obabe »

logicalview wrote:Asked what he wanted for his last meal Trigger responded, "More poodle please, and hold the leash".

And this is supposed to be funny why?
Dance as if no one's watching, sing as if no one's listening, and live everyday as if it were your last.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.

Return to “World”