Denmark levies world's first fat tax

grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Re: Denmark levies world's first fat tax

Post by grammafreddy »

razzledazzle wrote:Obesity is a major health problem in the western world, tobacco gets taxed and hopefully some of that money goes to the health care system, same as booze, so why not put a tax on fatty foods to cover the cost of the heath care for obese people, and to educate the kids in school on proper healthy foods. Bring in a tax, will not bother me, as i use healthy oils like extra virgin oil, hemp seed oil and wildlife fat.

How would you feel if government said you had to heat with electricity and taxed gas and oil right out of your price bracket? Or banned them entirely for heating homes and businesses?

You would lose the freedom to choose.

And how would you feel if you were already using electricity but now were told you had to pay extra over and above your own consumption to subsidize the others?

Again - you would would be paying for someone else. What if you couldn't afford it and had to go without something yourself so that you had the money to pay someone's subsidy?

You sure you are okay with that?
__________________________________________________________________________________________
We are a generation of idiots - smart phones and dumb people.

You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
razzledazzle
Lord of the Board

Post by razzledazzle »

grammafreddy wrote:
razzledazzle wrote:Obesity is a major health problem in the western world, tobacco gets taxed and hopefully some of that money goes to the health care system, same as booze, so why not put a tax on fatty foods to cover the cost of the heath care for obese people, and to educate the kids in school on proper healthy foods. Bring in a tax, will not bother me, as i use healthy oils like extra virgin oil, hemp seed oil and wildlife fat.

How would you feel if government said you had to heat with electricity and taxed gas and oil right out of your price bracket? Or banned them entirely for heating homes and businesses?

You would lose the freedom to choose.

And how would you feel if you were already using electricity but now were told you had to pay extra over and above your own consumption to subsidize the others?

Again - you would would be paying for someone else. What if you couldn't afford it and had to go without something yourself so that you had the money to pay someone's subsidy?

You sure you are okay with that?

Govt's do as they please as it is now, taxpayers subsidize big corps and the food chain.

I have lived without electricity and running water with no plumbing in the house, best yrs of my life. I would return to that life style in a moments notice if i could, but govt's don't like that.
grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Post by grammafreddy »

razzledazzle wrote:
Govt's do as they please as it is now, taxpayers subsidize big corps and the food chain.

I have lived without electricity and running water with no plumbing in the house, best yrs of my life. I would return to that life style in a moments notice if i could, but govt's don't like that.

When you are 80 and on a fixed income, I doubt you will be quite so overjoyed to fund everyone else and have to reduce your own meager comforts (what few you have left). Chopping firewood, hauling water from a spring and running to the outhouse at 3 am gets a tad tiresome and downright impossible for some folks.

But hey ... it's all about you, right? You are okay with others losing the right to choose as long as it doesn't impact what you do or want.

C'mon, peoples ... think this through ... the long range ramifications of governments dictating how you will live and removing personal choice will most definitely backfire and it won't be pretty.
__________________________________________________________________________________________

Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Post by Captain Awesome »

grammafreddy wrote:People just need to be educated about healthier options when it comes to food choices - not penalizing them for making wrong ones.

If it could be achieved just be education, than everybody would be fit, healthy, and rich.

Unfortunately just education gets us nowhere, so extra motivation comes into play.
Sarcasm is like a good game of chess. Most people don't know how to play chess.
razzledazzle
Lord of the Board

Post by razzledazzle »

grammafreddy wrote:
razzledazzle wrote:

When you are 80 and on a fixed income, I doubt you will be quite so overjoyed to fund everyone else and have to reduce your own meager comforts (what few you have left). Chopping firewood, hauling water from a spring and running to the outhouse at 3 am gets a tad tiresome and downright impossible for some folks.

But hey ... it's all about you, right? You are okay with others losing the right to choose as long as it doesn't impact what you do or want.

C'mon, peoples ... think this through ... the long range ramifications of governments dictating how you will live and removing personal choice will most definitely backfire and it won't be pretty.

Sorry to say but i won't live beyond 65, so all CPP i paid into goes to the older ones, and believe me i have paid alot, right now on my job i pay an average of 225 bucks a month to CPP to subsidize the older generation, like you, and it does not bother me at all that i have to do this.

My grandparents did that til the day they died at their homestead, and they lasted into their late 80's, but i guess in them days they made people tougher.
grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Post by grammafreddy »

Well, like I said, Raz ... it ain't all about you. Plus FYI, I am not collecting CPP yet.

razzledazzle
Lord of the Board

Post by razzledazzle »

grammafreddy wrote:Well, like I said, Raz ... it ain't all about you. Plus FYI, I am not collecting CPP yet.

In your last post it seemed you were saying you were collecting, when you mentioned 80, no it's not all about me,and i have no idea where you get that from, it's for everybody.
grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Post by grammafreddy »

You mean this post?

grammafreddy wrote:

It does not say I am 80. It does not say I collect CPP. In fact, I never even mentioned CPP.

You read your own interpretation and assumptions into it, perhaps?

YOU may be able to afford to pay increased food costs - but not everybody can. Nor can everybody afford to ignore the fact that government increasingly is taking over our lives. And yes, I am still *bleep* about the light bulbs, the carbon tax and those damn grocery bags.

razzledazzle
Lord of the Board

Post by razzledazzle »

grammafreddy wrote:You mean this post?

grammafreddy wrote:

It does not say I am 80. It does not say I collect CPP. In fact, I never even mentioned CPP.

You read your own interpretation and assumptions into it, perhaps?

YOU may be able to afford to pay increased food costs - but not everybody can. Nor can everybody afford to ignore the fact that government increasingly is taking over our lives. And yes, I am still *bleep* about the light bulbs, the carbon tax and those damn grocery bags.

Of course the govt's are taking over our lives, that's their job.....and yes i guess i did interpretate what you said wrong...sorry. But you also said Fixed Icome.

I grow my own veggies and pick my own fruit from orchards and pay for it, maybe i am lucky, cause i am a license meatcutter and i can buy big chunks of meat like the shoulder of a steer and cut it myself, thus saving alot of money, me and the wife do alot of preserving also. Not often we by from the grocery store,(except for the essentials) i guess we are lucky that we know farmers for range beef and i get wild meat alot. Alot of people do this. Alot more people should be doing this, but then alot of people have no idea even where there hamburger even come from. I live a pretty healthy life, and it really does not cost that much, and without govt interference.
grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Post by grammafreddy »

I do the same, Raz, but not everybody can - and those who can't should not be penalized because some junk food junkie hasn't got the brains to educate themselves on healthy choices or be responsible for the kids they spawned. They produce 'em but then leave them to "society" to raise.

Return to “World”