Queen has pay frozen

steven lloyd
Buddha of the Board

Re: Queen has pay frozen

Post by steven lloyd »

all tattooed wrote: And to finish, I have to add my blue color: The queen can't even speak a word of french, and she killed our french ancestors.

Apparently not all of them :138:
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Post by Captain Awesome »

all tattooed wrote:And to finish, I have to add my blue color: The queen can't even speak a word of french, and she killed our french ancestors. Why, as a canadians, and a multicultural country, would we like ANY association with her...

Cause nobody likes French people. Their enemy is our friend :)
Sarcasm is like a good game of chess. Most people don't know how to play chess.
MyWorld
Board Meister

Post by MyWorld »

The Queen does a lot of charity work and does a lot of "normal" every day things that you and I do as "commoners". Royalty is not outdated, and in fact has tried to move with the times. The princes fight in the navy and airforce, volunteer their time in impoverished nations, etc. What political figures here or anywhere else have done the same (particuarly here in Canada and America)? I don't actually recall Bush's kids helping out with 911 victims or going over to Iraq.
The media creates such hype around the frozen pay issue. Yeah she gets lot of money but she also does a lot for it, and she will go without (even forgoing a monetary increase in tough economic times). Know of any other royal figure, politician, president to do the same (in todays world)? Last I remember politicians here were not forgoing their wage increase despite cutting funding to programs, and zero wage increases for workers, etc, etc!
grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Post by grammafreddy »

MyWorld wrote:The Queen does a lot of charity work and does a lot of "normal" every day things that you and I do as "commoners". Royalty is not outdated, and in fact has tried to move with the times. The princes fight in the navy and airforce, volunteer their time in impoverished nations, etc. What political figures here or anywhere else have done the same (particuarly here in Canada and America)? I don't actually recall Bush's kids helping out with 911 victims or going over to Iraq.
The media creates such hype around the frozen pay issue. Yeah she gets lot of money but she also does a lot for it, and she will go without (even forgoing a monetary increase in tough economic times). Know of any other royal figure, politician, president to do the same (in todays world)? Last I remember politicians here were not forgoing their wage increase despite cutting funding to programs, and zero wage increases for workers, etc, etc!

Some great points. What did Ben Mulroney do? Did Trudeau's kids ever give up anything? No politician ever takes a cut in pay (always the reverse).
__________________________________________________________________________________________
We are a generation of idiots - smart phones and dumb people.

You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
Nebula
Buddha of the Board

Post by Nebula »

MyWorld wrote:Royalty is not outdated, and in fact has tried to move with the times.

It is completely outdated. There is no valid reason to have it.

In this day and age we're supposed to bow and curtsey to certain people because they born into a particular family? It's an archaic situation that we don't need.

So what if some family members volunteer their time? Give me their pay and watch me volunteer. Better yet, stop paying them and give that money to organizations that help people.
You cannot reason someone out of a position that they did not use reason to arrive at.
MyWorld
Board Meister

Post by MyWorld »

If you are not a British citizen you do not have to bow or curtesy. And, even if you are whats going to happen to you if you don't?
Its all about tradition. Obviously their are a lot of people in favour of royalty or we would not have them.
Nebula
Buddha of the Board

Post by Nebula »

MyWorld wrote:Its all about tradition. Obviously their are a lot of people in favour of royalty or we would not have them.

Things change. The sooner the better. The tradition is dumb.
You cannot reason someone out of a position that they did not use reason to arrive at.
Libelle
Guru

Post by Libelle »

jennylives wrote:
grammafreddy wrote:
emc group wrote:I agree, she is a nice person, just what on earth can you do with all that money, there must be hungry children somewhere.

I'm sure she donates heavily to charity herself as do the rest of her family. They are also supporters and patrons of the arts and museums and animal welfare organizations. Chucky also is heavily involved in environmental stuff - bless his little green-freek heart.

How kind of her to bless the peasants with her giving. Just think how much would be left for the rest of her country if that family wasn't hoarding so much. Royalty is really outdated. I can't wait till the tradition is extinct.

No way! A piece of history that still exists today, and a forever of tomorrows!!
Equity will not suffer a wrong to be without a remedy
Libelle
Guru

Post by Libelle »

all tattooed wrote:And to finish, I have to add my blue color: The queen can't even speak a word of french, and she killed our french ancestors. Why, as a canadians, and a multicultural country, would we like ANY association with her..

She killed your French ancestors? LOL that was long before her time. Remember when Quebec City was taken over, the English let you keep your language. I would not have been so generous.
Equity will not suffer a wrong to be without a remedy
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

There are certainly some good arguments in favour of abolishing the Monarchy, but there are also equally strong reasons to keep the Monarchy. For example, there is much to be said about having an apolitical head of state unlike the Americans with their highly polarizing presidents. Would you rather have a highly partisan Stephan Harper as your head of state or QEII?
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
wthwyt
Lord of the Board

Post by wthwyt »

Glacier wrote:There are certainly some good arguments in favour of abolishing the Monarchy, but there are also equally strong reasons to keep the Monarchy. For example, there is much to be said about having an apolitical head of state unlike the Americans with their highly polarizing presidents. Would you rather have a highly partisan Stephan Harper as your head of state or QEII?

Yes, but seeing she has never used her position. She's just figure head with no real power at all. Kinda like having gun in closet with no ammo, totally useless need it.

Return to “World”