Cruise Ship Captain Detained!

LoneWolf_53
Walks on Forum Water

Re: Cruise Ship Captain Detained!

Post by LoneWolf_53 »

I have a sneaking suspicion that Captain's address isn't going to be anywhere near Hawaii, and that his view is going to include vertical steel thingies.
"Death is life's way of saying you're fired!"
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Post by The Green Barbarian »

LoneWolf_53 wrote:I have a sneaking suspicion that Captain's address isn't going to be anywhere near Hawaii, and that his view is going to include vertical steel thingies.

It's too bad (for him) the Captain is not in the BC Ferries union - the accident would have been blamed on the reef for getting in the way of the ship.
"The woke narcissists who make up the progressive left are characterized by an absolute lack of such conscience, but are experts at exploiting its presence in others." - Jordan Peterson
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

LoneWolf_53 wrote:I have a sneaking suspicion that Captain's address isn't going to be anywhere near Hawaii, and that his view is going to include vertical steel thingies.

If all they are saying is true, he should walk the plank!
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
LoneWolf_53
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LoneWolf_53 »

Bsuds wrote:If all they are saying is true, he should walk the plank!

To say the least.

If what they are saying is true, and I find it notable that in most cases the bigwigs don't make incriminating statements without good cause, then it would strike me as though his bosses already know what went wrong, and they are going to hang him out to dry.

What an idiot to be showing off with such a huge ship, and the lives of so many people in his hands.

Furthermore since the guy is Italian, you would also think, that he'd be intimately familiar, with the dangers posed by reefs, and whatnot, in the Mediterranean.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

Probably showing off to some sweety on the Bridge. Hmm a candidate for a BC Ferries job? :127:
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Bsuds wrote:Probably showing off to some sweety on the Bridge. Hmm a candidate for a BC Ferries job? :127:

hey - stop stealing my material! :sillygrin:
"The woke narcissists who make up the progressive left are characterized by an absolute lack of such conscience, but are experts at exploiting its presence in others." - Jordan Peterson
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

The Green Barbarian wrote:
Bsuds wrote:Probably showing off to some sweety on the Bridge. Hmm a candidate for a BC Ferries job? :127:

Sorry, you've gotta be quick around here.
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Bsuds wrote:
The Green Barbarian wrote:

Sorry, you've gotta be quick around here.

No kidding - I did a BC Ferries joke a few posts ago.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

Missed that one, didn't read back. Must be some truth in it then eh?
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Bsuds wrote:Missed that one, didn't read back. Must be some truth in it then eh?

I have no doubt. As I said on page 1 - they need to make this guy an oil tanker captain, then make all captains BC Ferries employees. This would automatically take all human error out of the equation, sounds perfect!
heymac
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by heymac »

*off-topic/Jo*
Gilchy
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Gilchy »

*off-topic/Jo*
Verminator
Board Meister

Post by Verminator »

I just saw a video online ( sorry, no link) that showed the Costa Concordia 'buzzing' this same island only a few weeks ago. It's apparently quite a common practice and I find it difficult to believe the company didn't know about it. I think there's a lot more to this story than we'll ever know.
I'm completely in favor of the separation of Church and State. My idea is that these two institutions screw us up enough on their own, so both of them together is certain death.
George Carlin
LoneWolf_53
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LoneWolf_53 »

Shipwreck: searching for 29 bodies
by The Canadian Press - Story: 69815
Jan 16, 2012 / 4:56 pm

Photo: The Canadian Press. All rights reserved.
Italian firefighters walk Monday, Jan. 16, 2012, on the cruise ship Costa Concordia leaning on its side after running aground the tiny Tuscan island of Giglio, Italy, last Friday night. (AP Photo/Gregorio Borgia)

Italy's cruise liner tragedy turned into an environmental crisis Monday, as rough seas battering the stricken mega-ship raised fears that fuel might leak into pristine waters off Tuscany that are part of a protected sanctuary for dolphins, porpoises and whales.

The ship's Italian operator accused the jailed captain of causing the wreck that left at least six dead and 29 missing, saying he made an "unapproved, unauthorized manoeuvr" to divert the vessel from its programmed course.

Earlier, authorities had said 16 people were missing. But an Italian Coast Guard official, Marco Brusco, said late Monday that 25 passengers and four crew members were unaccounted for three days after the Costa Concordia struck a reef and capsized off the coast of the tiny island of Giglio.

He didn't explain the jump, but indicated 10 of the missing are Germans. Two Americans are also among the missing.

Brusco said there was still "a glimmer of hope" there could be survivors on parts of the vast cruise liner that have yet to be searched. The last survivor, a crewman who had broken his leg, was rescued on Sunday.

Waters that had remained calm for the first days of the rescue turned choppy Monday, shifting the wreckage and raising fears that any further movement could cause some of the 500,000 gallons (1.9 million litres) of fuel on board to leak into the waters off Giglio, which are popular with scuba divers and form part of the protected Tuscan archipelago. Rescue operations were suspended for several hours because of the rough seas.

Italy's environmental minister raised the alarm about a potential environmental catastrophe. "At the moment there haven't been any fuel leaks, but we have to intervene quickly," the minister, Corrado Clini, told RAI state radio.

Even before the accident there had been mounting calls from environmentalists to restrict passage of large ships in the area.

The ship's operator, Costa Crociere SpA, has enlisted one of the world's leading salvagers, Smit of Rotterdam, Netherlands, to handle the removal of the 1,000-foot (290-meter) cruise liner and extract the fuel safely. Smit has a long track record of dealing with wrecks and leaks, including refloating grounded bulk carriers and securing drilling platforms in the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina.

Meanwhile, the Italian cruise operator said Capt. Francesco Schettino intentionally strayed from the ship's authorized course into waters too close to the perilous reef, causing it to crash late Friday and capsize.

The navigational version of a "fly by" was apparently made as a favour to the chief waiter who is from Giglio and whose parents live on the island, local media reported.

A judge on Tuesday is to decide whether Schettino should remain jailed.

"We are struck by the unscrupulousness of the reckless manoeuvr that the commander of the Costa Concordia made near the island of Giglio," prosecutor Francesco Verusio told reporters. "It was inexcusable."
averagejoe
Buddha of the Board

Post by averagejoe »

Can this be so????

Cruise disaster: captain neared rocks in Facebook stunt for friend's family!

In a pre-planned stunt advertised on Facebook, captain of The Concordia, Francesco Schettino, sailed perilously close to the coast of Giglio so that the ship's head waiter could salute his family on land.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldne ... amily.html
Ecclesiastes 10:2 A wise man's heart is at his right hand; but a fool's heart at his left.

Thor Heyerdahl Says: “Our lack of knowledge about our own past is appalling.

Return to “World”