NRA Lobbying causes US shootings

SurplusElect
Übergod

Re: NRA Lobbying causes US shootings

Post by SurplusElect »

Bacon is for eating, rifles are for shooting lethal projectiles.

"Improper use" is incorrect. Picking the wrong target, perhaps will result in deaths, but guns are meant to shoot lethal projectiles around.

But of course, legislation based on meme logic will most likely prevail. We can start to train children how to avoid active shooter events.
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Post by Captain Awesome »

Sarcasm is like a good game of chess. Most people don't know how to play chess.
kibbs
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by kibbs »

With this logic nothing be should be restricted in society.if you are true libertarian than this logic should also apply to drug sales
Peace be with you.
SurplusElect
Übergod

Post by SurplusElect »

Captain Awesome wrote:Image

Toasters don't toast toast - toast toasts toast.
sobrohusfat
Guru

Post by sobrohusfat »

^^^ Poor Oprah. lol

Of course Biden is right about control and morality
By Jack Kelly

This was more nonsense from the premier dunce in American politics. The evidence is massive gun control measures do not restrict gun violence. They may contribute to it. (All but one mass shooting in the last half century has taken place in "gun free" zones.)

But liberals don't care much whether their nostrums work or not. They judge programs on their declared intent, not results. That's all it takes to massage their egos, and it spares them the trouble of having to learn a lot of pesky facts.
The emotionally healthy can feel good about themselves without putting others down. Liberal preening apparently requires feeling superior to those who disagree with them. If you don't agree with us about gun control, you can't be as horrified as liberals are by mass shootings, the vice president implied. We're good. You're bad.

Making themselves feel good is more important to most liberals than solving problems, and they tend to be intellectually lazy. So this attitude pervades most of the positions they take. If you note:

• Our kids aren't being taught in school what they need to know to prosper in the world economy -- liberals say you're against education.
• The trillions spent on the War on Poverty haven't reduced poverty much -- you hate the poor.
• Global warming's dangers have been grossly exaggerated -- you don't care about the environment.

And so on. But liberals attack with special venom those who disagree with them about gun control. Why?
University of Hawaii professor Rudy Rummel used to be a liberal, as most college professors are. Then he studied genocide. He was horrified to discover that in the 20th century -- despite the fact that World Wars I and II took place during it -- nearly three times as many people were murdered by their own governments as were killed in war.
It wasn't just totalitarian regimes such as Nazi Germany, Soviet Russia and Mao's China that committed mass murder, Mr. Rummel found. More than 830,000 people have been killed by democratic governments, he estimated in 1986.

"Concentrated political power is the most dangerous thing on earth," he concluded. "Nobody can be trusted with unlimited power."

President Barack Obama evidently thinks he can. Congress is unlikely to pass new gun control laws because a large majority of Americans oppose them. So the president may impose new restrictions by executive order, Mr. Biden said. It troubles him not at all that the president lacks legal authority. Our Founding Fathers put the Second Amendment in the Constitution so that, if need be, the people could defend themselves against the government. But the Bill of Rights is scant protection if our leaders ignore it. Before they committed mass murder, Hitler and Stalin confiscated privately owned firearms.

"Do not be fooled by a belief that leftists hate guns," wrote Stanislav Mishin in Pravda last month. "What they hate is guns in the hands of those who are not marching in lock step of their ideology." Once guns were confiscated in Russia, "mass repression, mass arrests, mass deportations, mass murder, mass starvation were all a safe game for the powers that were," he said. Gun control also preceded government genocide in Turkey, China, Guatemala, Uganda and Cambodia.

That can't happen here, you say. It already has. The first gun control laws in the U.S. were enacted in the post-Reconstruction South, so blacks couldn't defend themselves from the Ku Klux Klan.
"The defeated Southern states aimed to preserve slavery in fact if not in law," wrote historian Clayton Cramer. "Mississippi's provision was typical: No freedman 'shall keep or carry fire-arms of any kind, or any ammunition.'"

In a sense, Mr. Biden is right. Gun control is a moral issue. Liberals are on the wrong side of it.

Jack Kelly is a columnist for The Press and The Blade of Toledo, Ohio
The adventure continues...

No good story ever started with; "So i stayed home."
Nebula
Buddha of the Board

Post by Nebula »

(All but one mass shooting in the last half century has taken place in "gun free" zones.)

Not true.

1. There was an armed guard at Columbine in 1999.
2. Fort Hood massacre in 2009 -- on an Army base, no less.
3. Virginia Tech shootings in 2007 -- armed guards on campus.
You cannot reason someone out of a position that they did not use reason to arrive at.
French Castanut
Lord of the Board

Post by French Castanut »

Was the Quebec Parliament shooting gun free back then or was there the security guards like they have today? Not sure if they're armed tho. But probably are.
Vote C'Nutz for President of the Republic of BC May 14th!
Rwede
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Rwede »

"When they make a point about the mass murder capability of firearms, remind them that the biggest mass murder in North America was done boxcutters and 3 jets (2996 people), or with manure, diesel and a yellow Ryder truck (168 lives).

If the crazies don't have guns, they will still act."

Words of wisdom from another forum. And irrefutable.
"I don't even disagree with the bulk of what's in the Leap Manifesto. I'll put forward my Leap Manifesto in the next election." - John Horgan, 2017.
underscore
Übergod

Post by underscore »

Rwede wrote:"When they make a point about the mass murder capability of firearms, remind them that the biggest mass murder in North America was done boxcutters and 3 jets (2996 people), or with manure, diesel and a yellow Ryder truck (168 lives).

If the crazies don't have guns, they will still act."

Words of wisdom from another forum. And irrefutable.

That doesn't mean you have to make it easier for the crazies. Clearly guns aren't the most effective way to kill large number of people, but they're still used the most.
cliffy1 wrote:Welcome to the asylum.
Rwede
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Rwede »

underscore wrote:
That doesn't mean you have to make it easier for the crazies. Clearly guns aren't the most effective way to kill large number of people, but they're still used the most.

So, to keep the crazies in line, we should outlaw boxcutters, jets, diesel, manure, and yellow Ryder trucks. No sense in making it easy for them, by your reckoning.
"I don't even disagree with the bulk of what's in the Leap Manifesto. I'll put forward my Leap Manifesto in the next election." - John Horgan, 2017.
Nebula
Buddha of the Board

Post by Nebula »

Rwede wrote:So, to keep the crazies in line, we should outlaw boxcutters, jets, diesel, manure, and yellow Ryder trucks. No sense in making it easy for them, by your reckoning.

Using that logic, we should let everyone have access to grenades, bazookas and Stinger missiles, because we let them have access to box cutters and manure.

Since the Sandy Hook shooting, more than 900 Americans were shot and killed. I suspect the number of Americans killed by box cutters and manure in the same time period is far less.
You cannot reason someone out of a position that they did not use reason to arrive at.
SurplusElect
Übergod

Post by SurplusElect »

Rwede wrote:So, to keep the crazies in line, we should outlaw boxcutters, jets, diesel, manure, and yellow Ryder trucks. No sense in making it easy for them, by your reckoning.

They don't send soldiers to war with boxcutters and manure, driving Ryder moving vans do they?
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

The violent crime rate in the U.K. is 4 times higher than that of the U.S.

"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
underscore
Übergod

Post by underscore »

^ I'm not sure how delusional the clown making that report is, but I'd rather be involved in a violent crime than shot dead. All that video proves is that the US doesn't have any many murders as wartorn countries.

[quote="Rwede"So, to keep the crazies in line, we should outlaw boxcutters, jets, diesel, manure, and yellow Ryder trucks. No sense in making it easy for them, by your reckoning.[/quote]

No, by my reckoning we should outlaw what gets used the most to harm people, and what has (collectively) the highest body count. Picking up a gun and shooting it is easier than building a bomb
cliffy1 wrote:Welcome to the asylum.
Rwede
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Rwede »

SurplusElect wrote:
They don't send soldiers to war with boxcutters and manure, driving Ryder moving vans do they?

Al Queda did. And look what they accomplished.

Return to “World”