Earthquakes worldwide 6.0 or greater

GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Re: Earthquakes worldwide 6.0 or greater

Post by GordonH »

I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

GordonH

Post by GordonH »

https://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes ... us2000cmwz

here is a bigger one in Gulf of Alaska (first reports had this quake at 8.2, downgraded to 7.9)
https://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes ... us2000cmy3
TreeGuy
Lord of the Board

Post by TreeGuy »

In low-lying areas of Victoria and Esquimalt, officials went door-to-door telling people to evacuate, while elsewhere sirens and text alerts were used to get the warning out, he said in an interview.
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

TreeGuy wrote:In low-lying areas of Victoria and Esquimalt, officials went door-to-door telling people to evacuate, while elsewhere sirens and text alerts were used to get the warning out, he said in an interview.

This will happen every time there is a chance of a tsunami, this time it was horizontal movement quake (those don't produce tsunami). It's the vertical movement quakes that produces tsunami.

They will not know which type happen until ocean wave sensors indicate high to large wave motion.
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

GordonH wrote:https://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes ... us2000cmwz

here is a bigger one in Gulf of Alaska (first reports had this quake at 8.2, downgraded to 7.9)
https://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes ... us2000cmy3

So in & around the 7.9 quake, there has been 39 smaller tremors ranging from 3.1 to 5.0
https://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes ... %3Anull%7D
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

tsunami.jpg
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

Glacier wrote:
tsunami.jpg

Thank-you Glacier

The big one is still to come somewhere along Cascadia subduction zone (no ifs on this one, just when), more then likely it won't be horizontal movement quake. It will be a vertical movement quake, which will a produce tsunami.
averagejoe
Buddha of the Board

Post by averagejoe »

California will be gone.... :cry:
Ecclesiastes 10:2 A wise man's heart is at his right hand; but a fool's heart at his left.

Thor Heyerdahl Says: “Our lack of knowledge about our own past is appalling.
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

averagejoe wrote:California will be gone.... :cry:

Depending on location & size of the quake, there could be a lot of damage (potentially large amount of lives lost). Those on west side of the San Andreas Fault could be in a problem area, again depending on the location & size of the quake.
Further north on the Cascadia subduction zone the better off for California will be, of course that means Seattle, Victoria & Vancouver gets hit harder (this is were living on the Fraser River sediments and not solid ground/rock, will be very bad).

As I see it there is no sense sugar coating it.
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

averagejoe wrote:California will be gone.... :cry:

So will a very large part of BC.
Bring back the LIKE button.
rustled
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by rustled »

^^It's weird "liking" these posts. Need an "agreed" button.

California's most populated areas would be destroyed, but how would places like Lassen and Yosemite and Sequoia fare? Lots of shifting of the landscape expected?
There is nothing more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity. - Martin Luther King Jr.
Frisk
Guru

Post by Frisk »

It's interesting how you can see the length of the fault that slipped in the Alaska quake from the location of the aftershocks.
Attachments
Aftershock map .png
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

Return to “World”