Earthquakes worldwide 6.0 or greater

GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Re: Earthquakes worldwide 6.0 or greater

Post by GordonH »

I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Frisk
Guru

Post by Frisk »

A major earthquake hits Central Peru with a moment magnitude of Mw 7.0 at a depth of 60 km (49 minutes ago)
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

GordonH

Post by GordonH »

Donald G
Buddha of the Board

Post by Donald G »

One would wonder if there is a world wide repetitive pattern to earthquakes given that they are all in contact?
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

Terris
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Terris »

The Seismic event that simultaneously formed the Okanagan Lake, Arrow Lake, Kootenay Lake rifts and the other north/south oriented valleys and lake systems in BC would have been off the Richter scale in magnitude.

This event happened just prior to or during the last ice age approximately 70,000 years ago.

A 6.0 or greater magnitude quake here is just a matter of time...
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

Terris wrote:The Seismic event that simultaneously formed the Okanagan Lake, Arrow Lake, Kootenay Lake rifts and the other north/south oriented valleys and lake systems in BC would have been off the Richter scale in magnitude.

This event happened just prior to or during the last ice age approximately 70,000 years ago.

A 6.0 or greater magnitude quake here is just a matter of time...

Here is a link showing the Fault lines within BC: http://geocommons.com/maps/88369

BC has not had many 6.0 or higher quakes over the years (the ones we have had are off the West coast). If and when a big one will hit thats anyones best guess.

Added: before anyone freakout by the above map, those are considered minor faults lines.
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

GordonH

Post by GordonH »

Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

A friend just posted this on Facebook:

Did you feel that one, neighbors? Seems like that earthquake just kept going and going. Longer than any of us can remember a recent one shaking. The Alaska Tsunami Warning Center says it was a 6.1 magnitude quake, 60 miles southwest of Talkeetna. Everyone O.K. out there?
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
averagejoe
Buddha of the Board

Post by averagejoe »

Ecclesiastes 10:2 A wise man's heart is at his right hand; but a fool's heart at his left.

Thor Heyerdahl Says: “Our lack of knowledge about our own past is appalling.
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

Terris
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Terris »

BC has not had many 6.0 or higher quakes over the years (the ones we have had are off the West coast). If and when a big one will hit thats anyones best guess.

Added: before anyone freakout by the above map, those are considered minor faults lines.

Stuff "they" don't want you to know;

Regarding the Kelowna area faults...

The map shown greatly minimizes the reality of what is underneath us here in Kelowna. The real GIS data available shows a much different substructure.

In addition to several Major faults underneath Kelowna, there is a very pronounced fault that crosses Kelowna from the base of Knox Mt (the cliff face) over to Mission Creek. This crack runs north and south roughly along Gordon Drive and is approximately 500 feet below the surface. Another major crack similarly runs from the base of Dilworth and intersects with Layercake Mt. in Gallagher's canyon.

These cracks are connected to the major and deep rift lines that run up and down Okanagan and Kalamalka Lakes.

The actual bottom of Okanagan Lake rift is approximately 800m below sea-level and the entire lake basin is filled with glacial debris from the last ice age. The rift penetrate miles below that.

Further; when the glaciers receded they "calved" great blocks of ice (tons at a time) which acted like hammers all along the edge of the now Kelowna waterfront. This hammering effect has shattered the underlying bedrock into rubble which sits on a sloping face of bedrock. If you check out a google map of Kelowna you can see the rough irregular edges along the outlier delta which now form Kelowna waterfront compared to the relatively smooth lake borders elsewhere along Okanagan lake.

The glacial overburden has filled in the shatter zone with glacial till upon which Kelowna has been built, but it remains saturated and lubricated by the water table.

Further to that; Kelowna sits atop an overhanging rock feature which is known to go back as far as Richter Street in some locations and even further east in other areas of Kelowna.

An earthquake over 4 magnitude could potentially release this overburden along the slope into Okanagan Lake and folks living from Richter east would be the new Kelowna waterfront owners. Buildings over 4-6 stories would be exposed to the liquefaction of this underlying material.

I first witnessed this overhang in 1996 when I scuba dove underneath the TOLKO mill from Danger deep. The danger deep bay was once a land mass connecting from Manhattan Point over to Poplar Point which collapsed into Okanagan Lake and the bay was formed some time after the end of the last ice age; and is an example of what could happen if a magnitude 4 or greater earthquake should rumble through this area.

There are several other interesting features that could produce potentially devastating results to Kelowna and residents. For example the Bluff across from Kelowna on the Westside among others.

There are also several other potential disasters which include the pollution plumes from the old dumpsite where Okanagan College is and even from the new landfill in Glenmore both of which are making there way into Okanagan Lake underneath our feet.

Don't drink any well water...

Return to “World”