No more Twinkies?

grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Re: No more Twinkies?

Post by grammafreddy »

GrooveTunes wrote:
It’s heart-breaking to think of each of those workers in cities and towns all across America who have seen their jobs vanish. But as painful as it is, it’s heartening to know these brave workers stood up against the greed and destruction of Wall Street.

It’s incredible.

The unified Bakery Workers rejected the last cruel deal from executives by a vote of 92 percent. They chose to raise their heads with pride, as well they should.

One way or another, working people in America have to stop this race to the bottom.

This Thanksgiving, I’ll be giving thanks to the Bakery Workers for taking a stand. Together, we will make America work for regular working people again.

So you'd be okay with some other union putting you out of a job? When the economy and the job situation is as bad as it is, you would be willing to lose the income you have in support of your fellow workers? You'd be willing to lose your home when you can't pay your bills? Your wife and kids would be happy with you?

I sure as hell wouldn't be.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
We are a generation of idiots - smart phones and dumb people.

You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
GrooveTunes
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by GrooveTunes »

grammafreddy wrote:
GrooveTunes wrote:
It’s heart-breaking to think of each of those workers in cities and towns all across America who have seen their jobs vanish. But as painful as it is, it’s heartening to know these brave workers stood up against the greed and destruction of Wall Street.

It’s incredible.

The unified Bakery Workers rejected the last cruel deal from executives by a vote of 92 percent. They chose to raise their heads with pride, as well they should.

One way or another, working people in America have to stop this race to the bottom.

This Thanksgiving, I’ll be giving thanks to the Bakery Workers for taking a stand. Together, we will make America work for regular working people again.

So you'd be okay with some other union putting you out of a job? When the economy and the job situation is as bad as it is, you would be willing to lose the income you have in support of your fellow workers? You'd be willing to lose your home when you can't pay your bills? Your wife and kids would be happy with you?

Show me where other union members that didn't support this strike are losing their jobs? I haven't been able to find where that has happened.

You also really need quit blaming this on a union problem as it clearly isn't. I have put my job on the line more then once over the years to support other workers. I've refused to cross picket lines many times. Unlike you, it has never only been about me.
All posts are my opinion unless otherwise noted.
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Post by Captain Awesome »

Even though I mention Twinkies in my pointless ramblings all the time, I actually never had one.

And I guess now never will have one.

Weird.
Sarcasm is like a good game of chess. Most people don't know how to play chess.
Roadster
Time waster at work

Post by Roadster »

Captain Awesome wrote:Even though I mention Twinkies in my pointless ramblings all the time, I actually never had one.

Weird.

We had em sometimes when I was a kid, ding dongs,,, taste like a lot of sugar. I think there was others similar by the name of Betty cakes or something like that. When we lived up in the mountains and shopping was major and like once a month my parents bought a box of them or the likes. We didnt do a lot of going out to fast food places so it wasnt like we ate a lot of junk food.
They are not on our grocery shopping list.
♥ You and 98 other users LIKE this post
GrooveTunes
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by GrooveTunes »

grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Post by grammafreddy »

grammafreddy wrote:
GrooveTunes wrote:

It’s incredible.

GrooveTunes wrote:Show me where other union members that didn't support this strike are losing their jobs? I haven't been able to find where that has happened.

You also really need quit blaming this on a union problem as it clearly isn't. I have put my job on the line more then once over the years to support other workers. I've refused to cross picket lines many times. Unlike you, it has never only been about me.

Oops, sorry. I figgered if the company was closing all their plants that nobody would have a job - not just the bakers' union folks. Your magic wand must be different than mine is if it can find jobs in a business that isn't there.

Bet you could sell your magic wand for a lot of bucks - there's millions of people who would love to be able to work and get paid for it even though their jobs are now gone.

I don't work for Hostess so this sure isn't "about me". But it sure is about all the other workers, the suppliers, the flour mills, the truckers, the machinists who make the equipment, etc etc etc. They all have families to feed, too. It's a lot more than just the bakers union.

And yes, I know it was the venture capitalists who drove it to this point. But it was the vote of the bakers' union that cemented the closing of the plants that employed 18,500 workers. Where's the support from the other unions? The Teamsters advised them not to vote to strike.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
We are a generation of idiots - smart phones and dumb people.

You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
GrooveTunes
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by GrooveTunes »

The Teamsters advised them not to vote to strike.

So there goes the belief that the union thugs run the workers life... :dyinglaughing:

In the Chicago area, some Hostess workers who remain on the job say they support their colleagues across the country.

Hostess has three plants in Illinois. Only the Peoria facility is officially on strike.

I don't work for Hostess so this sure isn't "about me". But it sure is about all the other workers, the suppliers, the flour mills, the truckers, the machinists who make the equipment, etc etc etc. They all have families to feed, too. It's a lot more than just the bakers union.

Maybe they should sue the venture capitalists.
xjeepguy
Buddha of the Board

Post by xjeepguy »

Captain Awesome wrote:Even though I mention Twinkies in my pointless ramblings all the time, I actually never had one.

Weird.

Twinkies in Canada were never effected by any of the US action .
Now go buy one and eat it :dyinglaughing:
When a man opens a car door for his wife, it's either a new car or a new wife
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Post by Captain Awesome »

xjeepguy wrote: Twinkies in Canada were never effected by any of the US action .
Now go buy one and eat it :dyinglaughing:

No, they'll forever be on the list of things I've never had.

Along with hotdogs, s'mores, and KFC.
Sarcasm is like a good game of chess. Most people don't know how to play chess.
oneh2obabe
feistres Goruchaf y Bwrdd

Post by oneh2obabe »

Everybody's rushing out to buy Twinkies but the shelves are bare. Twinkies are still produced in Canada. Saputo Inc. owns the Canadian rights and are produced in Montreal by Vachon Inc. (division of Saputo) and are not affected by the actions in the USA.
Dance as if no one's watching, sing as if no one's listening, and live everyday as if it were your last.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

oneh2obabe wrote:Everybody's rushing out to buy Twinkies .

Umm No! Don't remember the last time I had a Twinkie and won't be rushing out to buy some.

Or Wonderbread for that matter.
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
Roadster
Time waster at work

Post by Roadster »

Me neither,,, stuff we dont need.
♥ You and 98 other users LIKE this post
oneh2obabe
feistres Goruchaf y Bwrdd

Post by oneh2obabe »

Bsuds wrote:
oneh2obabe wrote:Everybody's rushing out to buy Twinkies .

Umm No! Don't remember the last time I had a Twinkie and won't be rushing out to buy some.

Or Wonderbread for that matter.

Not you. Wouldn't believe how many times I was asked why there were none on the shelves ... told them I didn't work for the store and they should ask someone who does.
Dance as if no one's watching, sing as if no one's listening, and live everyday as if it were your last.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
zzontar
Guru

Post by zzontar »

Twinkies will live on after all as it's not a bad venture to buy.
But with high brand recognition and $2.5 billion in revenue per year, other companies are interested in bidding for at least pieces of Hostess. Twinkies alone have brought in $68 million in revenue so far this year, which would look good to another snack-maker.

Makes you wonder why 18,000 people have to be out of work.
They say you can't believe everything they say.
Rwede
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Rwede »

zzontar wrote:Twinkies will live on after all as it's not a bad venture to buy.
But with high brand recognition and $2.5 billion in revenue per year, other companies are interested in bidding for at least pieces of Hostess. Twinkies alone have brought in $68 million in revenue so far this year, which would look good to another snack-maker.

Makes you wonder why 18,000 people have to be out of work.

When your costs exceed that $2.5 billion in revenue, and the union votes not to work with the company to help bring those costs under control so that the company can live on, 18,500 people have to be out of work.
"I don't even disagree with the bulk of what's in the Leap Manifesto. I'll put forward my Leap Manifesto in the next election." - John Horgan, 2017.

Return to “World”