28 killed at elementary school

juz516
Board Meister

Re: 28 killed at elementary school

Post by juz516 »

How about if the person who issues the permit/license or whatever to a particular person, takes the responsability for whatever that person does with the gun? They might check people out very carefully before they allow somone a gun then.

It would be interesting to see who would actually agree to do that....would you take responsibility for someone under those circumstances? Maybe, then, every single person wanting to own a gun should have to pass a psychiatric/psychological/apptitude/IQ and many other tests? Just a touch unrealistic IMO.
I, personally, wouldn't take responsibility for someone to own a dog, let alone buy a gun.
oneh2obabe
feistres Goruchaf y Bwrdd

Post by oneh2obabe »

grammafreddy wrote:
Nope. A gun is an inanimate object. It will inflict about the same amount of damage as a marshmallow.

So you're saying dropping a marshmallow on your foot from a height of 3 feet will cause about the same amount of damage as a gun? Given the choice between the two, I'd go with the marshmallow.
Dance as if no one's watching, sing as if no one's listening, and live everyday as if it were your last.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Post by Captain Awesome »

Boy, this thread is getting dumber by the page...
Sarcasm is like a good game of chess. Most people don't know how to play chess.
Silverstarqueen
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by Silverstarqueen »

Captain Awesome wrote:Boy, this thread is getting dumber by the page...

It wasn't doing too badly till someone started comparing guns to marshmallows.
the video game theory is always brought up, and makes no sense to me, but apparently it does to some.
Reminds me once of a parent who was extremely concerned that her boy not be exposed to violent comic books and such at school (presumably she didn't let him read that stuff at home or play violent video games). Yet her child was more violent than other kids in the class, and there was violence in the home. So would the possible exposure to a violent comic book really make much difference?
Last edited by Silverstarqueen on Dec 22nd, 2012, 6:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
juz516
Board Meister

Post by juz516 »

LOLOL but it is so simple....put a gun and a marshmallow on the table.....until either is picked up, it is an inanimate object that will do zero damage.....not to difficult to figure out that that is when the gun becomes dangerous and different than the marshmallow. LOLOL IMO, it is a great analogy....and not all that confusing!
GenuinelyInterested
Board Meister

Post by GenuinelyInterested »

Silverstarqueen wrote:Here's a thought. How about if the person who issues the permit/license or whatever to a particular person, takes the responsability for whatever that person does with the gun? They might check people out very carefully before they allow somone a gun then.

So now two people will be imprisoned when/if one snaps?
Does that change the body count in a situation similar to the one that just happened?
What if the guarantor was the first one shot and killed?
How can any "every-day citizen" be responsible for the entire life of the weapon or purchaser?
What happens upon the death of the guarantor?
What recourse is there if the weapon is stolen from an unsecured position? Are you going to punish the guarantor as well?
How can any person be held responsible for another's actions in the future based solely upon their personal knowledge of their past?
Sorry, that scenario has more holes than Swiss cheese.
GenuinelyInterested
Board Meister

juz516 wrote:LOLOL but it is so simple....put a gun and a marshmallow on the table.....until either is picked up, it is an inanimate object that will do zero damage.....not to difficult to figure out that that is when the gun becomes dangerous and different than the marshmallow. LOLOL IMO, it is a great analogy....and not all that confusing!

A marshmallow in the mouth of a diabetic can be as deadly as the muzzle of a gun.
grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Post by grammafreddy »

Captain Awesome wrote:Boy, this thread is getting dumber by the page...

For sure, eh? :127:
__________________________________________________________________________________________
We are a generation of idiots - smart phones and dumb people.

You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
LoneWolf_53
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LoneWolf_53 »

GenuinelyInterested wrote:Your tone of ethnic prejudices is overshadowing your ability to argue your point. Do you want to try again? Perhaps with a different angle of approach?

Clearly you have some biases of your own, hampering your ability to process what I wrote, or it struck a nerve, as I've attempted to explain a couple of times now. We all bleed red? Now who's derailing the subject? What color we bleed has jack squat to do, with upbringing and what the culture was that influenced same.

We all breath air too, yet that hardly makes everyone on the planet the same. You might want to try again.

I've lived in the US, have you? It was precisely their gun culture, that prompted me to return to Canada.
"Death is life's way of saying you're fired!"
grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Post by grammafreddy »

juz516 wrote: LOLOL IMO, it is a great analogy....and not all that confusing!

Apparently it is confusing ... :127:
__________________________________________________________________________________________

juz516
Board Meister

Post by juz516 »

LOL ok....one more time.....gun and marshmallow sitting on a table.....until the point when EITHER is picked up by a human, they are BOTH inanimate objects and in no way dangerous. get it? :ohmygod:
yes, it is dumb to have to explain!!! LOLOL
grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Post by grammafreddy »

GenuinelyInterested wrote:
A marshmallow in the mouth of a diabetic can be as deadly as the muzzle of a gun.

How would it get into the diabetic's mouth?

Hint: The same way the muzzle of a gun would get into the diabetic's mouth.

GenuinelyInterested
Board Meister

GenuinelyInterested wrote:Your tone of ethnic prejudices is overshadowing your ability to argue your point. Do you want to try again? Perhaps with a different angle of approach?

LoneWolf_53 wrote:Clearly you have some biases of your own, hampering your ability to process what I wrote, or it struck a nerve, as I've attempted to explain a couple of times now. We all bleed red? Now who's derailing the subject? What color we bleed has jack squat to do, with upbringing and what the culture was that influenced same.

We all breath air too, yet that hardly makes everyone on the planet the same. You might want to try again.

I've lived in the US, have you? It was precisely their gun culture, that prompted me to return to Canada.

What is the point you are trying to portray? Where I have lived and under what conditions has nothing to do with this topic. I sense your frustration in your inability to express yourself clearly with the written word. I suggest you take a time out and think carefully about a better way to express your feelings.
GenuinelyInterested
Board Meister

Deleted by poster. Too many errors to fix. Sorry GF.
Last edited by GenuinelyInterested on Dec 22nd, 2012, 7:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Post by grammafreddy »

deleted to fix someone else's misquotes.

GenuinelyInterested ... will you please fix your quotes? I didn't say that - you did.
Last edited by grammafreddy on Dec 22nd, 2012, 6:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Return to “World”