28 killed at elementary school

steelrules
Grand Pooh-bah

Re: 28 killed at elementary school

Post by steelrules »

Reply to Goatboy,
Agreed.
It's just that the unbalance and criminals will always be able to get guns on the street while law abiding citizens are being disarmed.
Last edited by steelrules on Dec 20th, 2012, 8:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves"
Edward R Murrow
Now a proud member of the NRA & Canadian Sport Shooting Association.
Sic Semper Tyrannis
Nebula
Buddha of the Board

Post by Nebula »

steelrules wrote:It's just that the unbalance and criminals will always be able to get guns on the street while law abiding citizens are being disarmed.

Not true. There's plenty of toys left to buy.
You cannot reason someone out of a position that they did not use reason to arrive at.
ukcanuck
Fledgling

Post by ukcanuck »

Rwede wrote:

You mean like they do with marijuana? Yeah, that works. :127:

Well its a little different, first off it absolutely ridiculous to be trying to stop people from using marijuana. It's a stupid law and stupid laws do not work... On the other hand limiting fire arms but not banning them and not removing your right to own one is an admirable goal and those kinds of laws tend to work....
LoneWolf_53
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LoneWolf_53 »

ukcanuck wrote:Perhaps prohibiting gun manufacture and limiting sales is a better solution.

Make sure that gun makers are accountable to where there products go.

Must be frost in a hot place, because I completely agree with that. :D

Control the things at the source, just as they do other dangerous items like nuclear components.
"Death is life's way of saying you're fired!"
ukcanuck
Fledgling

Post by ukcanuck »

LoneWolf_53 wrote:
Must be frost in a hot place, because I completely agree with that. :D

Control the things at the source, just as they do other dangerous items like nuclear components.

Lol okay it's your turn to come up with one I can agree with :)
WhatThe

Post by WhatThe »

It's amazing to me how easily people are polarised and distracted by the more trivial.

Had we been more compassionate, empathetic and meaningfully cognisant of our common threads, that is, embrace rather than marginalise our health, differences and abilities perhaps these and other violent acts would be on the decline.... Not incline.

I think so long as we continue to ignore our species inherent flaws and inadequacies in favour of some ridiculous notion that all one has to do is "pull up their boot straps" and "be just like everyone else" our social fabric will continue to erode.
It's strange, we'll invest in everything but what matters most, our neighbour.
SurplusElect
Übergod

Post by SurplusElect »

NRA calls for police officers in U.S. schools

http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/story/2012 ... ntrol.html

"The only thing that stops a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun," Lapierre told reporters in Washington,
D.C.

It's official. The US is on the decline and are absolutely crazy.

The next Adam Lanza will just have to obtain body armor and pack beefier weapons than the police (wont be hard!), or just target the police officer(s) first.

Then, maybe they can station military checkpoints and tanks outside the schools.
ukcanuck
Fledgling

Post by ukcanuck »

WhatThe wrote:It's amazing to me how easily people are polarised and distracted by the more trivial.

Had we been more compassionate, empathetic and meaningfully cognisant of our common threads, that is, embrace rather than marginalise our health, differences and abilities perhaps these and other violent acts would be on the decline.... Not incline.

I think so long as we continue to ignore our species inherent flaws and inadequacies in favour of some ridiculous notion that all one has to do is "pull up their boot straps" and "be just like everyone else" our social fabric will continue to erode.
It's strange, we'll invest in everything but what matters most, our neighbour.

They have eyes but cannot see and ears but cannot hear....
Madhue
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Madhue »

Nebula wrote: On the other hand, if gun ownership reduces the crime rate then why does the US have a murder-by-gun rate about six times that of Canada?
Because Canadians find alternate means of killing each other....
http://www.nationmaster.com/graph/cri_m ... 000-people
When you level the playing field you'll see the difference between Canada and US is rather marginal in 2004 at 5.9 and Canada at 2.... hardly 6 times, more like three.

However current US stats have the murder rate at 4.8 with a steady decline being noted for each year since 1991
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crime_in_t ... s#Homicide
but lets cherry pick stats and wave frantically, am I to assume you will next suggest we compare murder rates on partially cloudy days on odd numbered dates with hand guns and used by people wearing bandanas???

When a person looks at such Stats them factors in things like Social Economics, population density and so forth we are not seeing sky rocketed numbers that you'd like us to believe exist.

Total Crime Victims per nation.
http://www.nationmaster.com/graph/cri_t ... al-victims
"If everyone is thinking alike, someone isn't thinking."
- General George Patton Jr
grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Post by grammafreddy »

The NRA's statement today:

http://home.nra.org/pdf/Transcript_PDF.pdf

Maybe read it all before you slam them, misquote them and take words out of context.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
We are a generation of idiots - smart phones and dumb people.

You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
Silverstarqueen
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by Silverstarqueen »

I read it, it sounds like the NRA wants armed guards in schools. Because who knows when and where the next whacko is going to get loose with a firearm.

But according to the article the real problem is video games. Guns don't kill people, video games do. So let's limit video games and leave every wingnut with his favorite weapon of choice.

A quote from above link:
And here's another dirty little truth that the media try their best to
conceal: There exists in this country a callous, corrupt and corrupting
shadow industry that sells, and sows, violence against its own people.
Through vicious, violent video games with names like Bulletstorm,
Grand Theft Auto, Mortal Kombat and Splatterhouse. And here’s one:
it’s called Kindergarten Killers. It’s been online for 10 years. How come
my research department could find it and all of yours either couldn’t or
didn’t want anyone to know you had found it?

Now I have boys who played plenty of video games (Actually Grand Theft Auto looked like a lot of fun). They are all fine grown guys now, living responsible lives, and apparently normal (but not too normal, actually better than normal). Non have shot anyone or anything, none have stolen cars, hardly even a speeding ticket , not even many fist fights considering the highschool culture is a jungle these days. considering that millions of other young people have played these games, and/or watched some crazy movies, but relatively few are causing violent crime, maybe this isn't the root of the problem. So there goes that theory.
grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Post by grammafreddy »

Silverstarqueen wrote:I read it, it sounds like the NRA wants armed guards in schools. Because who knows when and where the next whacko is going to get loose with a firearm.

But according to the article the real problem is video games. Guns don't kill people, video games do. So let's limit video games and leave every wingnut with his favorite weapon of choice.

Ohfercrissakes.

The NRA statement doesn't say that at all.

Why don't you try unwarping yer brain?
__________________________________________________________________________________________
We are a generation of idiots - smart phones and dumb people.

You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
SurplusElect
Übergod

Post by SurplusElect »

The NRA wants armed police in schools while they promote every American to be packing heat.

I hope someone smacks them.
oneh2obabe
feistres Goruchaf y Bwrdd

Post by oneh2obabe »

Tsk, tsk ... she included the portion of the transcript that blamed video games. In case you missed it ...

And here's another dirty little truth that the media try their best to conceal: There exists in this country a callous, corrupt and corrupting shadow industry that sells, and sows, violence against its own people. Through vicious, violent video games with names like Bulletstorm, Grand Theft Auto, Mortal Kombat and Splatterhouse.
Dance as if no one's watching, sing as if no one's listening, and live everyday as if it were your last.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
SurplusElect
Übergod

Post by SurplusElect »

Canadians play the same video games, and more of them.

Fail.

Return to “World”