28 killed at elementary school

goatboy
Guru

Re: 28 killed at elementary school

Post by goatboy »

I actually said "The argument for gun control of automatic weapons is just as false as the "I need a gun for self defence argument".

Add semi in there for my mistake and I'm actually agreeing with you.
SurplusElect
Übergod

Post by SurplusElect »

Captain Awesome wrote:In reality, despite the looks, they are very similar. So when people say "Let's ban semi-autos" they say "let's ban scary looking guns along with guns that farmers use, .22 plinkers, and semi-auto shotguns every other hunter uses". It's impossible.

After looking at those pictures and reading your post, I noticed you clearly identify that the "look" of a gun appeals to some people because it is scary to look at. I would imagine it appeals to a certain type of enthusiast.

These mass shooters do not have farm rifles because these mass shooters are not farmers. The weapons used come from people seeking to (I don't understand the emotion so I'm projecting) seek power/relieve paranoia or replicate war.

If these "scary" guns are just farm rifles playing Mr. Dressup, why are we letting grown adults play Mr. Dressup with lethal toys? You don't "target shoot" at the range in a Gorilla outfit, so why does a person need a "dressed up" farming rifle or single bolt/shot marksmen rifle? Why do we give adults who want to play Mr.Dressup - weapons?

Maybe these types of people seeking out these types of objects shouldn't be allowed to fulfill their fetishes, lest it lead to what they are seeking. The NRA says its "not about the guns", so perhaps (dare I say) they have a point. Alex Jones clearly does NOT need a weapon or should he have one, and something tells me if the only thing available was ye olde musket (farm rifle) he would not be so enthusiastic about firearms.

Which brings it back to the whole tyranny thing. The illusion that a violent revolution against the US government, fronted and led by 1% of the US population (weekend warrior NFL watching "sportsman" that are going to take out the US Marines and Air Force) is possible and is a good thing to stand behind. If natives block a highway (current Canadian unacceptable violent protest) or back when 1960's hippies rioted (or if #occupy got violent) that's "unacceptable" and the right side of the fence was not standing with the Black Panthers, lets say. The only way to foster social change is "the good way" using the proper channels and the vast majority of people would agree to that (myself included) - but this group of people who basically are standing on a platform of domestic terrorism are legitimate?

If #occupy said that everyone needs to learn how to make home made explosives "just incase" they have to overthrow the corporate-owned government - that's cool? Lets write up some laws to facilitate them?

Pft.
Last edited by SurplusElect on Jan 22nd, 2013, 8:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Post by Captain Awesome »

SurplusElect wrote:After looking at those pictures and reading your post, I noticed you clearly identify that the "look" of a gun appeals to some people because it is scary to look at.

Nowhere did I say that. I only said the media, politicians, and activists tend to focus on them because they look militaristic so they say things like "These guns have no place in today's society, they belong in armed forces! No civilian needs one!". While in reality the only difference between a farmer's gun and a "militarized assault rifle capable of killing many people at high rate" ... is simply looks:

And hence if you want to outlaw them, you have to outlaw all similar guns that act in the same way. Including rifles that farmers use to shoot off rabbits that chew up their vegetables. And .22 plinkers. And semi-auto hunting rifles. Unless you want to start banning guns for how the look - say pistol grip, or bayonet, or plastic railing. But then what are you doing? You're banning cosmetic features that don't actually kill anybody. They don't even do anything - they just make the gun look a certain way. That's the laughable matter with "let's ban assault rifles" discussion. And that's why I'm very certain that this whole wave of change will not go anywhere - because it's pointless. They might lower the round limit for magazines - while it makes sense it won't do anything about BILLIONS of magazines already in circulation. Granted - I do agree with magazine limits, 100+ round magazines are pointless even to me.

Maybe these types of people seeking out these types of objects shouldn't be allowed to fulfill their fetishes, lest it lead to what they are seeking.

Yeah, I'd like to see how that turns out.
Last edited by Captain Awesome on Jan 22nd, 2013, 8:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sarcasm is like a good game of chess. Most people don't know how to play chess.
SurplusElect
Übergod

Post by SurplusElect »

Captain Awesome wrote:Nowhere did I say that.

The pictures of your guns did. Stick with me on this one.

If they are just Mr Dress up guns - why are we entertaining adults who want to play Mr Dressup?

No more costumes. Lets see the appeal drop by people who shouldn't be feeding that desire.
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

SurplusElect wrote:If they are just Mr Dress up guns - why are we entertaining adults who want to play Mr Dressup?

No more costumes. Lets see the appeal drop by people who shouldn't be feeding that desire.

How would that be accomplished? Introduce a new law that say "It's ok to sell guns, but just don't make them look scary"? Sounds kinda stupid, don't you think? "It's illegal to sell black guns in United States"? "Black painted parts for guns are now outlawed"?
SurplusElect
Übergod

Post by SurplusElect »

Captain Awesome wrote:How would that be accomplished? Introduce a new law that say "It's ok to sell guns, but just don't make them look scary"? Sounds kinda stupid, don't you think? "It's illegal to sell black guns in United States"? "Black painted parts for guns are now outlawed"?

We put pink/orange tips on fake guns and it's illegal to impersonate a police officer for a reason.

Perception is huge.

Its not that unreasonable. You want to "protect your family" and look cool doing it? Too bad.

Meanwhile a lot of these these Batman movie theater type guys stay in their basements and don't get beyond dreaming and hopefully seek out help before a Mr. Dressup AR-15.

Talk to a actual veteran. War sucks. It's not something to pretend for fun. I'm giving the NRA one here (but they step on their own toes unintentionally) - the cultural/social side of this debate. We don't need to feed certain fires. We wouldn't give occupy bombs, so why would we give rednecks guns?
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

SurplusElect wrote:Its not that unreasonable. You want to "protect your family" and look cool doing it? Too bad.

Banning how the weapon looks in order to prevent mass shootings, that's an interesting solution.

Impersonating a scary gun is now illegal in 49 states!

Oy vey.
SurplusElect
Übergod

Post by SurplusElect »

Captain Awesome wrote:Banning how the weapon looks in order to prevent mass shootings, that's an interesting solution.

What can I say, I'm mixing it up.

Do you think it would reduce the number of people that obtain weapons who are "on the fence" who have not-so-noble-intentions who are looking to obtain a weapon not because they want better hand-eye but - something else?

This is borderline mental illness topic point too. Tell me a disenfranchised single parent family fall-through-the-cracks 20 year old high school drop out that watches violent movies all day and has no prospects, goals or a reason to live other than to feed the machine isn't "on the fence". Yet the kid can very easily legally obtain a weapon because he's bored and wants to shoot at things in his backyard.

If the only thing available was a boring farm rifle that whole war/violent death/battle appeal isn't there. Video games might prove more entertaining.

People are buying those guns for looks, you said it yourself.
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

SurplusElect wrote:Do you think it would reduce the number of people that obtain weapons who are "on the fence" who have not-so-noble-intentions who are looking to obtain a weapon not because they want better hand-eye but - something else?

I'm pretty sure that if somebody wants to kill some children/Jewish rabbis/postal workers they'll do it with a "boring" gun just as fast. And make it illegal to sell "scary looking guns" over "boring looking guns" is inane and will do just as much to stop school shootings as banning goth music. And people who buy AR-15 rifles for sports shooting are not that much different than people who buy Remington 700 rifle for sports shooting.

I think you might have a better luck outlawing "wife beaters" shirts trying to stop domestic violence. While completely ignoring the underlying causes for domestic violence and going after cosmetic features ...
RichardW

Post by RichardW »

No gun manufacturer would go to the expense of adding the same gun with mere aesthetic changes to their range of products, other than as a means to boost economic profit. That means that the (for want of a better word) 'scary' looking guns must be appealing to a separate group of people than the 'farm' style guns.

As I think about it, making guns look really quite dull and functional is probably the best way to satisfy everybody - or at least satisfy them a bit.

Consider cigarettes, whose packaging now has to conform to a certain rather non-flattering appearance, even though the pack still contains the same old cancerous make-your-cloths-stink-and-your-hair-yellow sticks.
Rwede
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Rwede »

So they finally had to come out and admit it, now that the Coroner has released some info along with police.

An AR-15, or the so-called "Assault Weapon", was not used in the school shooting. The shooter even tried weeks earlier to buy a rifle but was turned down in the background check. So he had to kill his Mother to steal her rifle. There were initial reports, right after the shooting, that police found the AR-15 in his car, NOT IN THE SCHOOL. The rifle was not used. The shooter went into the school with 4 handguns, NOT an Assault Rifle as the media has charged. I remember in the initial hours of this shooting, the Police said they found the rifle in the car. But the Administration-controlled MSM had a pre-planned attack already waiting, to ban so-called assault weapons and jumped on that line of reporting, knowing it was a lie, which included people like Piers Morgan who said the shooter used an AR-15 that shoots hundreds of rounds per minute, as if it were a machine gun. Could it be that the Democrat Liberals and THEIR MEDIA were pushing for the new law, hoping they could do it, before the Coroner released the info? Absolutely.

VIDEO: http://video.today.msnbc.msn.com/today/ ... 5#50208495
"I don't even disagree with the bulk of what's in the Leap Manifesto. I'll put forward my Leap Manifesto in the next election." - John Horgan, 2017.
Rwede
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Rwede »

RichardW wrote:No gun manufacturer would go to the expense of adding the same gun with mere aesthetic changes to their range of products, other than as a means to boost economic profit. That means that the (for want of a better word) 'scary' looking guns must be appealing to a separate group of people than the 'farm' style guns.

As I think about it, making guns look really quite dull and functional is probably the best way to satisfy everybody - or at least satisfy them a bit.

Consider cigarettes, whose packaging now has to conform to a certain rather non-flattering appearance, even though the pack still contains the same old cancerous make-your-cloths-stink-and-your-hair-yellow sticks.

Beans. I know people that hunt coyotes with "scary-looking" guns. You're way off buddy, wayyyyy off.

Ignorance of firearms breeds a certain fear. Fear of the unknown. It's alive and well on this forum.
"I don't even disagree with the bulk of what's in the Leap Manifesto. I'll put forward my Leap Manifesto in the next election." - John Horgan, 2017.
Dash5
Übergod

Post by Dash5 »

SurplusElect wrote:We put pink/orange tips on fake guns and it's illegal to impersonate a police officer for a reason.

Perception is huge.

Its not that unreasonable. You want to "protect your family" and look cool doing it? Too bad.

Meanwhile a lot of these these Batman movie theater type guys stay in their basements and don't get beyond dreaming and hopefully seek out help before a Mr. Dressup AR-15.

Talk to a actual veteran. War sucks. It's not something to pretend for fun. I'm giving the NRA one here (but they step on their own toes unintentionally) - the cultural/social side of this debate. We don't need to feed certain fires. We wouldn't give occupy bombs, so why would we give rednecks guns?

How's this AR-15 for you SE??

Make you feel better?
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

So they finally had to come out and admit it, now that the Coroner has released some info along with police.

An AR-15, or the so-called "Assault Weapon", was not used in the school shooting. The shooter even tried weeks earlier to buy a rifle but was turned down in the background check. So he had to kill his Mother to steal her rifle. There were initial reports, right after the shooting, that police found the AR-15 in his car, NOT IN THE SCHOOL. The rifle was not used. The shooter went into the school with 4 handguns, NOT an Assault Rifle as the media has charged. I remember in the initial hours of this shooting, the Police said they found the rifle in the car. But the Administration-controlled MSM had a pre-planned attack already waiting, to ban so-called assault weapons and jumped on that line of reporting, knowing it was a lie, which included people like Piers Morgan who said the shooter used an AR-15 that shoots hundreds of rounds per minute, as if it were a machine gun. Could it be that the Democrat Liberals and THEIR MEDIA were pushing for the new law, hoping they could do it, before the Coroner released the info? Absolutely.

VIDEO: http://video.today.msnbc.msn.com/today/ ... 5#50208495

Are you sure about that?

http://www.ct.gov/despp/cwp/view.asp?Q=517284&A=4226

** UPDATE **

STATE POLICE IDENTIFY WEAPONS USED IN SANDY HOOK INVESTIGATION;
INVESTIGATION CONTINUES

In previous press conferences, the Connecticut State Police clearly identified all of the weapons seized from the crime scene at Sandy Hook Elementary School.

To eliminate any confusion or misinformation, we will again describe and identify the weapons seized at the school crime scene.

Seized inside the school:

#1. Bushmaster .223 caliber-- model XM15-E2S rifle with high capacity 30 round magazine

#2. Glock 10 mm handgun

#3. Sig-Sauer P226 9mm handgun

Seized from suspect’s car in parking lot:

#4. Izhmash Canta-12 12 gauge Shotgun (seized from car in parking lot)

This case remains under investigation.

Lt. J. Paul Vance

Content Last Modified on 1/23/2013 8:18:21 AM
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
SurplusElect
Übergod

Post by SurplusElect »

DashFiveGuy wrote:Make you feel better?

Now make it look like a farming rifle, and see if Alex Jones still gets a erection when he holds it. After all, the look shouldn't matter - it's about what the tool does. They are just Mr.Dressup farming rifles!

So when a basement dweller wants to "get tough on society", he will have to do it with a pink stick in his hand. Maybe paint flowers on it.

Might reduce demand by low IQ, watch-too-many-movie types.

Return to “World”