28 killed at elementary school

SurplusElect
Übergod

Re: 28 killed at elementary school

Post by SurplusElect »

Captain Awesome wrote:No, it doesn't. Firearms are only responsible for 27% of homicides in Canada.

Spousal murders, correction. And guns are #2.

#1 is stabbing. Knives are more readily available than guns, most kitchens have them.

I think I confused that stat that the majority of spousal murders in Canada that were committed by guns were committed with long guns. Lots of stats!
Last edited by SurplusElect on Dec 14th, 2012, 4:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Post by Captain Awesome »

SurplusElect wrote:Spousal murders, correction.

Still in the same ballpark, 29%. Shall we ban knives?
Sarcasm is like a good game of chess. Most people don't know how to play chess.
grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Post by grammafreddy »

SurplusElect wrote:I am saying that "normal law abiding citizens" are just that until something happens that makes them become criminals.

And when there is a gun at the ready, the percentages are much higher that someone is going to die.

And I am saying your thinking process is flawed. A responsible, sane and rational person does not shoot/kill another person. If such was true, there would be many, many more people dying because there are many people who own guns and other weapons and who have events in their lives where they could flip out and they don't.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
We are a generation of idiots - smart phones and dumb people.

You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
SurplusElect
Übergod

Post by SurplusElect »

Captain Awesome wrote:Still in the same ballpark, 29%. Shall we ban knives?

29% is acceptable number or murders?
SurplusElect
Übergod

Post by SurplusElect »

grammafreddy wrote:And I am saying your thinking process is flawed. A responsible, sane and rational person does not shoot/kill another person.

Say that outloud a few times GF.

You believe that people are born to be murders, end of story?
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

Has the news outlets come out and revealed the shooters mental medical history already?

Was he known to the psychologists?
The local police there?

GrammaFreddy, are you guess he had mental illness because those are the only ones capable of mass murder?

I know someone with mental health problems who has never murdered anyone.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
normaM
The Pilgrim

Post by normaM »

just so awful :( Can't watch it on the News any longer - so many Lives taken, so many lives impacted :(
For so many the World did indeed end today
If there was a Loser contest you'd come in second
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Re: US gun deaths

Post by Queen K »

Captain Awesome wrote:Killing children? That's just sick.

In Canada you can knife you kids to death and get out in less than four years. What is sicker? The action of the murderer or the goverment policy?
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

SurplusElect wrote:29% is acceptable number or murders?

See, you make a mistake of thinking that if there was no gun available, the homicide wouldn't take place. But if we all decided to get rid of all guns we've ever created, the homicides would still happen - for example with kitchen knives. Or with chess board. Or with simple ice picks or axes. So, when are we banning kitchen knives?
grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Post by grammafreddy »

removed - Jennylives.
__________________________________________________________________________________________

grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Post by grammafreddy »

Queen K wrote:Has the news outlets come out and revealed the shooters mental medical history already?

Was he known to the psychologists?
The local police there?

GrammaFreddy, are you guess he had mental illness because those are the only ones capable of mass murder?

I know someone with mental health problems who has never murdered anyone.

Yeah, I know some of those kind of people, too, Queenie.

And nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo .... I did not say that people who have mental illness are the only ones capable of mass murder - but it is a good point. Would a sane, mature, responsible and normal person do that???

I don't know what the media is saying now or has discovered about this 20-year old person - other than his mom was a teacher at the school, she is presumed dead and his girlfriend and another friend are missing in New Jersey.

Doesn't sound too sane to me. How about you? Think he is sane?

Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

grammafreddy wrote:Doesn't sound too sane to me. How about you? Think he is sane?

From what I've heard, the guy was suffering from autism. He stole the guns from his mom (I assume there were just laying around, no gun safe), killed his father, went to school, killed his mom, and 20+ children and staff. The guy is completely bonkers, and has brains wired upside down. What he did is beyond normality, you have to be insane to do something like this.
SurplusElect
Übergod

Post by SurplusElect »

grammafreddy wrote:Your last sentence is just too stupid to bother with a response.

Excuse me, I should have elaborated.

When you say that only mentally ill people will murder someone I assume you must not realize that people can obtain a firearm legally (no history of mental illness) and then afterwards "loose it" and kill someone.

History is chalked full of sane people who committed murder when pushed.

So there are all these peaceful duck hunters out there - until something happens - then they become murderers.

Guns just happen to be the easiest way to kill another human, mentally speaking - so lets put one in every kitchen!
GrooveTunes
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by GrooveTunes »

See, you make a mistake of thinking that if there was no gun available, the homicide wouldn't take place. But if we all decided to get rid of all guns we've ever created, the homicides would still happen - for example with kitchen knives. Or with chess board. Or with simple ice picks or axes. So, when are we banning kitchen knives?

[/quote]
If there was no gun available there wouldn't be 20 dead children and 8 dead adults. Try doing that with a kitchen knife. Get real.
All posts are my opinion unless otherwise noted.
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

GrooveTunes wrote:If there was no gun available there wouldn't be 20 dead children and 8 dead adults.

How about a hunting rifle? You can get them in just about every country in the world. In fact, you can probably do more damage in a crowded place like school with a shotgun.

Return to “World”