28 killed at elementary school

SurplusElect
Übergod

Re: 28 killed at elementary school

Post by SurplusElect »

steelrules wrote:Two robbery suspects shot dead in Hollywood, NE Miami-Dade

Read more here: http://www.miamiherald.com/2013/01/15/3 ... rylink=cpy

So a clerk shot a robber...

Every company in Canada robbery policy is "do not resist, give the money, call the police". Why?

...because your life isn't worth 50 dollars of insured money, and robbers get violent when they encounter resistance.

So this is what we should aspire to? Shooting people over insured chump change? Clerks exchanging gunfire in public places over 50 dollars? Sounds like a great country.

Maybe, we should figure out why poverty is rampant and even though there is more than enough to go around, why people have to rob for food and their addictions (why are they addicted?). Naw - screw all those problems. Lets just shoot people after they are all screwed up and robbing people. Much easier and safer, the gunfire option. Instead of solving problems before they happen - lets shoot them when they become criminals.
SurplusElect
Übergod

Post by SurplusElect »

grammafreddy wrote:The common denominator in all of these shootings was mental illness. IMO that's what needs to be addressed - not gun legislation.

Question

How many murderers are in jail currently (Canada/North America), unable to plead insanity, that had legally acquired weapons and were "sane up until they commited murder"?

Spouse Killers, jealousy, kill for money, ect.

...you know...the most common factor leading to murder - temporary emotional loss of control?
Last edited by SurplusElect on Jan 15th, 2013, 9:02 am, edited 2 times in total.
averagejoe
Buddha of the Board

Post by averagejoe »

steelrules wrote:Two robbery suspects shot dead in Hollywood, NE Miami-Dade

Read more here: http://www.miamiherald.com/2013/01/15/3 ... rylink=cpy

And this what happens when you come home and you have no defense.....

COLORADO SPRINGS, Colo. - Colorado Springs Police are investigating what they believe is a burglary that ended with two homeowners dead.

Investigators said a burglary was in progress at a home on Bassett Drive Monday morning when the homeowners walked in.

Police believe the homeowners encountered the burglar who shot and killed both of them, then escaped.

http://www.thedenverchannel.com/news/lo ... do-springs
Ecclesiastes 10:2 A wise man's heart is at his right hand; but a fool's heart at his left.

Thor Heyerdahl Says: “Our lack of knowledge about our own past is appalling.
SurplusElect
Übergod

Post by SurplusElect »

averagejoe wrote:And this what happens when you come home and you have no defense.....

Unless these poor folks walked around with a weapon in their hands all the time 24/7, safety off, I don't think that would have helped them as they walked in on the robbers.

Also, when you make minor property crime have extreme heavy consequences (like in the states), robbers will rather shoot you dead than leave a living witness.

So - do you want to die over a 1000 dollar TV? Your choice. Lock your doors and accept "thing happen" or be ready to die for a Samsung.
averagejoe
Buddha of the Board

Post by averagejoe »

Your home is your castle. They died by walking into their own home. So if you and your daughter walk into your home while it's being burgurlized and the robbers have other idea's? You just going to stand there?
Ecclesiastes 10:2 A wise man's heart is at his right hand; but a fool's heart at his left.

SurplusElect
Übergod

Post by SurplusElect »

averagejoe wrote:Your home is your castle. They died by walking into their own home. So if you and your daughter walk into your home while it's being burgurlized and the robbers have other idea's? You just going to stand there?

Your home is your castle, eh? The origin of the phrase is "You are the boss in your own house and nobody can tell you what to do there". So obviously in your home, killing people over "things" is ok. Do you let your daughter smack her baby brother across the face when baby brother takes a toy away from the daughter?

Being alive and being without a TV is better than being dead, fyi. No dead guy is saying "Defending my 250,000 condo from crackheads looking for cigarettes was worth it - I'm glad I'm rotting and exercised my property rights!". They would rather just be alive. Ask any dead guy if they are glad they died over a piece of consumer electronics.

Your going to pull on gun on people that are committing a property crime with your daughter around? Your not stopping a rape or saving anyone's life, your saving your precious TV. Robbers go "fight of flight" when confronted. If you yell - they run. If you pull a gun, their lives are at risk and they will defend themselves.

Being the good guy sucks. Deal with it.

So again I ask you - are you willing to die over a TV?

...at the bottom of the gun debate is a generally held sentiment (for some) that "things" are as valuable (or more) than human life.
averagejoe
Buddha of the Board

Post by averagejoe »

You have no idea what is going to happen to you or your family! So you wouldn't protect your daughter. Rest my case......Liberals at their best. Feel sorry for your wife or your mom.

RichardW

Post by RichardW »

Glacier wrote:RichardW[ede Jr.], you're using circular reasoning. ie. your first opinion is true because your second opinion is also true, which in turn makes your third opinion true. And so on.

Could you clarify? I'm happy to revisit or revise any opinions I hold. I think there is circularity in the reality (as I perceive it), rather than in my argument. That is, guns are needed because there are guns. I've just drawn attention to the circularity of the situation.
JLives
Buddha of the Board

Post by JLives »

Captain Awesome wrote:
Do tell how the new law that is being discussed right (if it's passed) now will prevent this tragedy from happening again in 2 weeks.

It takes longer than that. Changing the laws is the beginning of a cultural shift. I don't see it really taking effect until the military is scaled back though. If you have a nation that believes killing people solves problems and follow it up with owning the most weapons in the world, people get shot. Laws are not the answer, they are part of the answer.
"Every dollar you spend is a vote for what you believe in."
"My country is the world, and my religion is to do good."
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Post by Captain Awesome »

jennylives wrote:I don't see it really taking effect until the military is scaled back though.

Ok, let me rephrase it then.

Which kinda makes this "ban all guns/some guns/only scary looking guns/Rush Limbaugh" thing kinda pointless but very emotionally fulfilling for some people - unless US decides to get rid of their army and rely mostly on unicorns for close combat air support and strong language for preventive strikes.
Last edited by Captain Awesome on Jan 15th, 2013, 7:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sarcasm is like a good game of chess. Most people don't know how to play chess.
JLives
Buddha of the Board

Post by JLives »

They are trying to get a handle on the mass amounts of violence being perpetuated by guns (not knives, bats or cars but guns) in their society. Like any other country in the civilized world would do. They are trying to move to more regulation and less gun murder. Nothing wrong with that.

The guns aren't scary looking, they are scary effective.
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

jennylives wrote:They are trying to get a handle on the mass amounts of violence being perpetuated by guns

Most gun violence is being carried out by handguns.

New laws (and most attention spent) mostly deal with "scary looking assault rifles" that are scary effective yet are responsible for less than 2% of gun violence in US.

Pointless? You'd have to blind not to see it.
steven lloyd
Buddha of the Board

Post by steven lloyd »

jennylives wrote: Changing the laws is the beginning of a cultural shift. I don't see it really taking effect until the military is scaled back though. If you have a nation that believes killing people solves problems ... .

I liked Obama's strategy for scaling back spending on America's miltary force. Less spending on ground troops and armour needed for invading and holding territory. Focus instead on building and improving Navy Seal Insertion Teams and such and get right to killing the people that will make a difference. People still get killed, but in theory less of them and at less cost.
JLives
Buddha of the Board

Post by JLives »

I haven't read the new gun laws being currently worked on. Has it been released?
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

jennylives wrote:I haven't read the new gun laws being currently worked on. Has it been released?

See, you should check things out before you talk about them.

http://www.policymic.com/articles/21569 ... gun-rights

Here's a new law being proposed right now. It almost exclusively deals with "assault weapons" - the scary looking "I think you belong to Navy SEALs" type. It does NOTHING to address level of gun violence you're so worried about. The guns in question are responsible for less than 2% of gun-related crimes, yet they're the most talked about. Why? Because it's all about hot air, not actually achieving something. It's about making politicians feel good about themselves, about TV ratings, about looking mighty smart. Why are weapons that are responsible for absolute majority of crimes (handguns) are not even discussed? Because "assault weapons" are easier, sexier target for politicians. The deadliest school shooting in history was carried out with two handguns with 10 round capacity - they're perfectly legal right now, and will be perfectly legal after the new gun laws are in place.

P.O.I.N.T.L.E.S.S.

Can't you see that the new law won't achieve anything except for propelling few political careers? It's hot air of the day, it won't achieve anything.

Return to “World”