FBI Investigated Occupy Wall St. as Domestic Terrorists

grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Re: FBI Investigated Occupy Wall St. as Domestic Terrorists

Post by grammafreddy »

LOL - and some people just come to the US of A to take flying lessons ...... they aren't terrorists, either.

Well, not until they hijack a plane or two and then the rest is history ... right?
__________________________________________________________________________________________
We are a generation of idiots - smart phones and dumb people.

You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
JLives
Buddha of the Board

Post by JLives »

So why were the Tea Partiers allowed to protest in big groups with guns if security was such a huge concern? Is it because they were backed by the same groups opposing Occupy perhaps? Occupy had cases of physical violence by law enforcement when the protesters were complying. We have to acknowledge that there is a double standard happening.
"Every dollar you spend is a vote for what you believe in."
"My country is the world, and my religion is to do good."
grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Post by grammafreddy »

jennylives wrote:So why were the Tea Partiers allowed to protest in big groups with guns if security was such a huge concern? Is it because they were backed by the same groups opposing Occupy perhaps? Occupy had cases of physical violence by law enforcement when the protesters were complying. We have to acknowledge that there is a double standard happening.

... because the Tea Partiers were doing nothing illegal, were protesting peaceably and were not making a mess, pooping in the bushes in parks and camping on public property and creating a health hazard for weeks on end?
__________________________________________________________________________________________

steven lloyd
Buddha of the Board

Post by steven lloyd »

jennylives wrote: We have to acknowledge that there is a double standard happening.

In fairness (or unfairness?), no one likely thought the Tea Partiers, despite being armed, were going to start shooting people or each other. I’m sure there is a double standard jenny, and fairly or unfairly, dirty, unkempt and stinky hippies with spiked hair and tattooed faces and smoking bongs does not help to equalize the playing field. I’m not suggesting their cause isn’t serious. I’m simply suggesting they’re not coming across as people to be considered seriously. Again, if they truly believe in the importance of their message then they are going to have to find a way to be taken importantly.
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Post by Captain Awesome »

jennylives wrote:So why were the Tea Partiers allowed to protest in big groups with guns if security was such a huge concern?

It would naive to think that a major protest can go on without an attention from law enforcement - whether it is investigation, or active intel gathering through undercover work, investigating known leaders or influential members. After all, we live in a country where you can start a protest just about anything - and Occupy and TeaPartiers are prime examples. Just because FBI doesn't go on TV and shows you a list of activities around every single protest doesn't mean they're not doing anything.
Sarcasm is like a good game of chess. Most people don't know how to play chess.
steven lloyd
Buddha of the Board

Post by steven lloyd »

Captain Awesome wrote: It would naive to think that a major protest can go on without an attention from law enforcement - whether it is investigation, or active intel gathering through undercover work, investigating known leaders ...

That would be true, and the undercover agents probably blended in better with the Tea Party group.
JLives
Buddha of the Board

Post by JLives »

How many Tea Partiers were pepper sprayed in the face or kicked in the ribs for walking around with guns? How many students who were complying with law enforcement (on campus, not in camps) at Occupy were? I know which group I'd feel more threatened by.

BTW the students were not dirty, unkempt nor hippies. Not that stereotypes should matter.
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

jennylives wrote:How many Tea Partiers were pepper sprayed in the face or kicked in the ribs for walking around with guns?

Probably not enough.
steven lloyd
Buddha of the Board

Post by steven lloyd »

jennylives wrote: Not that stereotypes should matter.

No they shouldn't. but if I was applying for a job, or getting ready to speak in front of a group with the intent of passing a persuading message I would dress and behave accordingly - ie. in a professional manner. I'm not arguing that a double standard probably exists here jenny (hell, of course it does), and you and I both know that stereotypes do exist and influence people in making assumptions. I personally believe the Occupy Movement has something important to say and should be heard and taken seriously. That is not going to happen with media focusing on the outrageous characters or the violence and chaos – which is what they are going to focus on if it is there and no one else can steal their attention. Again, the FBI investigating this movement probably actually helps the legitimate protestors to continue spreading their message.
GenuinelyInterested
Board Meister

Post by GenuinelyInterested »

jennylives wrote:How many Tea Partiers were pepper sprayed in the face or kicked in the ribs for walking around with guns? How many students who were complying with law enforcement (on campus, not in camps) at Occupy were? I know which group I'd feel more threatened by.

BTW the students were not dirty, unkempt nor hippies. Not that stereotypes should matter.

I don't know, could you please give us some stats and links to your sources?
SurplusElect
Übergod

Post by SurplusElect »

grammafreddy wrote:I'd see it as a threat, too, if my business was being targeted.

...a threat to profits perhaps...

"Domestic terrorism" is a far cry from protesting corrupt banking practices and potentially causing business disruption by bringing public awareness to known facts (not blowing up buildings to scare people from shopping)

Terrorism is the systematic use of terror, often violent, especially as a means of coercion.

To suggest that OWS could "bring the system down" or OWS was a threat to the national economy or a threat to the banking system - therefore a threat to society ect is ridiculous when you consider the banks and investment houses ACTUALLY DID threaten and destroy the world economy (for their own greed) and threaten peoples homes/lives. Was the FBI investing Goldmann Sachs on Domestic Terrorism?

Did Chick-Fil-A get the FBI to investigate gay rights groups when they protested the franchise for anti-gay-marriage comments?
JLives
Buddha of the Board

Post by JLives »

grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Post by grammafreddy »

grammafreddy wrote:I'd see it as a threat, too, if my business was being targeted.

SurplusElect wrote:...a threat to profits perhaps...

[/i]

Did Chick-Fil-A get the FBI to investigate gay rights groups when they protested the franchise for anti-gay-marriage comments?

Of course ... when you are in business, is there anything else that matters more?

I think the gay-rights issue is a bit different somehow ... were they camped on his doorstep and using the streets for their toilets? Were they a public safety issue or a health hazard?

Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Yes, never in the history of US any movements or protest went violent and presented a threat to public safety.

While most of people within Occupy movement are naive yuppies and jobless easily influenced college students - so basically harmless and don't even have IQ to present any threat to anything (and their short lived success is a clear sign of it), you'd be extremely naive to think that any movements of this caliber doesn't include more violence inclined individuals who will use the events to bring mass violence to reality - you know, black wearing d-bags who watched Fight Club too much. Just like environmental movements - mostly harmless hippies - include people who are ready to blow up refineries for their own reasons, or animal lovers include people who want to bomb laboratories that use bunnies for toilet paper and throw them out of the window.

While Chick-fil-A protests were harmless as well, they did have police presence too - just in case things go wrong. I don't see any outrage about it - "Rainbow lovers are being suppressed by police for their right to diddling the privates of the same sex members".
Last edited by Captain Awesome on Dec 30th, 2012, 3:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.
steven lloyd
Buddha of the Board

Post by steven lloyd »

grammafreddy wrote: ... when you are in business, is there anything else that matters more?

:129: Human rights? Social responsibility? Democratic principles?
Oops - me bad. Sorry :digging:

Return to “World”