Obamacare

grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Obamacare

Post by grammafreddy »

Who said this?

When it comes to health care, we don't have to choose between a government-run health care system and the unaffordable one we have now.

If you already have health insurance, the only thing that will change under my plan is that we will lower premiums.

If you don't have health insurance, you'll be able to get the same kind of health insurance that Members of Congress get for themselves.

We'll invest in preventative care and new technology to finally lower the cost of health care for families, businesses, and the entire economy.

And as someone who watched his own mother spend the final months of her life arguing with insurance companies because they claimed her cancer was a pre-existing condition and didn't want to pay for treatment, I will stop insurance companies from discriminating against those who are sick and need care most.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
We are a generation of idiots - smart phones and dumb people.

You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
Urbane
Buddha of the Board

Re: Obamacare

Post by Urbane »

^^ President Obama and unfortunately things aren't turning out as he promised they would.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

obamacare.jpg
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Post by grammafreddy »

From another thread, copied over ...

i think they made a mistake calling the ACA Obamcare. 20 years from now Obama will still be remembered where as he may have just faded away. If they had of thght this out they should have called it Romneycare given its already widely viewed as a huge success in Massachusetts where its been up and running for some time.

I kinda doubt the ACA is the same as what Massachusetts has.

There are also other states which opted not to join in on the ACA and have their own state plan, believing they can do it for less cost to their people. It would be interesting to see how Mass. compares for cost and coverage and deductibles against the ACA.

Another big problem which adds to the cost of the ACA is that the federal government does not allow insurance companies to do business across state lines. You can't have an insurance policy in Washington, then move to Oregon and take your insurance plans with you - any kind of insurance. You have to take out all new policies with the same insurance company (or the company of your choice) in the state you move to. That severely limits the number of policies any insurance company can write. More policies = cheaper insurance (usually).
__________________________________________________________________________________________

ferri
Forum Administrator

Post by ferri »

just a note also, Obama Care is nickname for this...uh...plan.
“Weak people revenge. Strong people forgive. Intelligent people ignore.”
― Albert Einstein
grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Post by grammafreddy »

I think they call it "ObamaCare" to keep it separate from anything intelligent or affordable. It certainly can't be called the "Affordable Care Act" any more.

Jonrox

Post by Jonrox »

While not perfect, it's a step in the right direction for the US. What we have in Canada far surpasses the American system though.
tgm929
Board Meister

Post by tgm929 »

Jonrox wrote:While not perfect, it's a step in the right direction for the US. What we have in Canada far surpasses the American system though.

Actually, it's more like a massive leap in the wrong direction.
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Post by Captain Awesome »

The idea is right. Implementation is questionable.
Sarcasm is like a good game of chess. Most people don't know how to play chess.
grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Post by grammafreddy »

I'd still like to have more info about Australia's health care system.

steven lloyd
Buddha of the Board

Post by steven lloyd »

grammafreddy wrote: It certainly can't be called the "Affordable Care Act" any more.

Why not ? What was the Republicans plan? Same old, same old? (affordable for some I suppose)

Oh ya – their candidate for president (and plan for government) didn’t win the election.
JLives
Buddha of the Board

Post by JLives »

grammafreddy wrote:I'd still like to have more info about Australia's health care system.

I asked my Aussie friends about it. This is one of their responses:

We have a dual tier system.. universal health care and private. It is nowhere near as good as the NHS in the UK or the New Zealand system. I think it's probably worse than yours too. Our Medicare only really covers the basics and the emergencies. No dental or optical. Limited ancillaries like allied health or mental health services (you can go on a government care plan but only in the case of a chronic condition and it only allows you a certain number of visits). We have a Prescription Benefit Scheme which makes meds cheaper, but still far from free. And not everything is even covered. eg. my mum has diabetes, thyroid issues, BP and cholesterol meds. She spends over $100 a month on scripts. And she has private health insurance, but you can't claim medications. It's a rort.
In saying that, it is still far preferable to a for-profit system like the US.
"Every dollar you spend is a vote for what you believe in."
"My country is the world, and my religion is to do good."
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Post by Captain Awesome »

steven lloyd wrote:Why not ? What was the Republicans plan? Same old, same old? (affordable for some I suppose)

Well, Romney did introduce universal health care in Massachusetts which is free to low income residents which greatly reduced the number of people with no health insurance and reduced govt expenses.
Sarcasm is like a good game of chess. Most people don't know how to play chess.
JLives
Buddha of the Board

Post by JLives »

As far as Obamacare goes it is better than what they had before. At least now the cost will be spread around instead of freeloaders being able to use emergency while taxpayers foot the bill. I'm sure the millions with pre-existing conditions are also grateful to be able to get coverage. As far as if it is successful, only time will tell.
JLives
Buddha of the Board

Post by JLives »

Captain Awesome wrote:Well, Romney did introduce universal health care in Massachusetts which is free to low income residents which greatly reduced the number of people with no health insurance and reduced govt expenses.

That is true. Obamacare was an old Republican plan. They supported until he did (if only I could put my finger on what is different about him). The blind hatred down there is incredible.

Return to “World”