Is there any country that's not corrupt?

A_Britishcolumbian
Grand Pooh-bah

Re: Is there any country that's not corrupt?

Post by A_Britishcolumbian »

there are a number of characteristics that would suggest otherwise, but i would say Andorra makes a great case for 'least corrupt' country.

With a GDP per capita at $46.700, the twelfth highest in the world, tax-friendly Andorra has a very sophisticated standard of living. International statistics say that residents' income per head is higher than in any EU country, 10% higher than in Switzerland, more than 35% higher than in the United Kingdom and, astoundingly (although perhaps not entirely accurately) almost 50% higher than in Monaco.

Surprisingly, the one constant feature that stands out from every survey of Andorra - and almost always near the top of every resident's list of the advantages of living in the country - has nothing at all to do with tax. It is the sense of total security that attracts the most favourable comments. According to one database, Andorra has the lowest crime rate in the world , which is astounding if you also take into account that Andorra has 10 million visitors a year (roughly 125 foreign visitors per head!). Hand guns are banned except under lock and key for target practice in clubs and even sporting shotguns are heavily controlled and for use only during one single hunting week in the autumn. Bag snatching, mugging and random aggression are absolutely unheard of and (rare) burglaries make headlines. Banks have no bullet-proof glass and young girls hitchhike without fear. One of the best casual entertainments in Andorra is to walk down your local high street and note how many cars are parked with the keys in the ignition. Drop a wallet in the street and you have a better than 90% chance that someone will hand it in, intact. Not surprisingly, citizen vigilance is high, because no-one wants things to change.

http://www.andorra-business.com/living-in-andorra.asp

According to external independent surveys, Andorra offers the lowest overall tax rate in the developed world. Income taxes are zero as are corporation taxes. There are no wealth taxes. There is no inheritance tax.. Sales taxes are very low at 4%.. There is no capital gains taxes. There are local property taxes which amount to around 0.05% per annum. Andorra has introduced some property capital gains taxes on property bought and sold in Andorra in an attempt to contain the enormous inflation in property values experienced through the last couple of decades.

Andorra has one of the world’s highest life expectancy rankings. More than 80% of the country is natural wilderness and it’s well known as a retreat for sufferers of respiratory and bronchial illness. Andorrans live an active, alpine lifestyle and have a healthy cuisine influenced by Spanish, Catalan, French and Portuguese residents; all of which combine to make them one of the healthiest nations in the world.

Costs of living in Andorra are not high by European standards despite its fiscal paradise status. There are a wide range of apartments, penthouses or villas and chalets to suit all tastes. Purchasing costs and outgoing expenses are not by any means excessive compared to other European cities, and a fraction of the cost of other comparable tax havens. Duty free prices on a range of goods help keep retail costs down, and there are a variety of bars and restaurants catering to all budgets. Government and local community costs are negligible and most services and labour expenses are very reasonable.

Andorra has a very low unemployment rate despite the woes of neighbouring Spain and France and its small size and relative wealth has shielded it from the full brunt of the European Economic Crisis. It has high standard healthcare facilities and a diverse education system with elementary and secondary education available via French, Spanish, Catalan and International Schools.

http://www.andorraexpat.com/10-reasons- ... n-andorra/
I'm not worried what I say, if they see it now or they see it later, I said it. If you don't know maybe that would hurt you, I don't know. You should know though, so you don't get hurt, so you know what side to be on when it happens.
T.Tsarnaev
Phoenix Within
Guru

Post by Phoenix Within »

Thinktank wrote:Jesus said:

He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone

Jesus never said that. It's not present in earlier versions of the scriptures. It was added by scribes for "poetic license".
So I love the Okanagan but it's a place best enjoyed from atop a very large pile of $100 bills. - Spocky
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

Biblical scholars are nearly all agreed that the Story of the Adulteress (also known as the Pericope Adulterae or the Pericope de Adultera) usually printed in Bibles as John 7:53-8:11 is a later addition to the Gospel. On this page I present some extended quotations from scholarly works that explain the reasons for this judgment. On another page I give an extract from one of the few scholarly defenders of the passage. To give my own opinion, it seems clear to me that the story does not belong in the Bible. If despite its absence from the early manuscripts this passage is thought to be so edifying that it is worthy of being treated as Holy Scripture, we might with equal justice add any number of edifying ancient stories to the Bible. The Quo Vadis legend about Peter's martyrdom, for instance, might just as well be added to the canonical book of Acts.

http://www.bible-researcher.com/adult.html
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray

Return to “World”