24 Animals Scientists Want To Bring Back From Extinction Re

averagejoe
Buddha of the Board

24 Animals Scientists Want To Bring Back From Extinction Re

Post by averagejoe »

These Are The 24 Animals Scientists Want To Bring Back From Extinction

Read more: http://www.businessinsider.com/animals- ... z2vPNzIFCp
Ecclesiastes 10:2 A wise man's heart is at his right hand; but a fool's heart at his left.

Thor Heyerdahl Says: “Our lack of knowledge about our own past is appalling.
LoneWolf_53
Walks on Forum Water

Re: 24 Animals Scientists Want To Bring Back From Extinction

Post by LoneWolf_53 »

Makes me uneasy when scientists take it upon themselves to act like God.

What they find out years later, they didn't know, always causes far more damage, than the good they set out to accomplish, using what they think they do know.

Sometimes it's just hard, if not impossible, to put the genie back in the bottle.

African killer bee comes to mind.

I'm sure those responsible for that debacle, would emphatically assure everyone, that they had only the purest of motives at heart, if questioned. Doesn't fix the problem they created though, and that was just a tiny insect.

Imagine an attempt to reintroduce that Sabre Tooth going awry, because the DNA wasn't quite right.

Just because they think they can do something, doesn't necessarily mean it's a good idea.
"Death is life's way of saying you're fired!"
averagejoe
Buddha of the Board

Post by averagejoe »

LoneWolf_53 wrote:Makes me uneasy when scientists take it upon themselves to act like God.

What they find out years later, they didn't know, always causes far more damage, than the good they set out to accomplish, using what they think they do know.

Sometimes it's just hard, if not impossible, to put the genie back in the bottle.

African killer bee comes to mind.

I'm sure those responsible for that debacle, would emphatically assure everyone, that they had only the purest of motives at heart, if questioned. Doesn't fix the problem they created though, and that was just a tiny insect.

Imagine an attempt to reintroduce that Sabre Tooth going awry, because the DNA wasn't quite right.

Just because they think they can do something, doesn't necessarily mean it's a good idea.

My fear is that they start experimenting and mixing up DNA's into something we may not want....
Ecclesiastes 10:2 A wise man's heart is at his right hand; but a fool's heart at his left.

Thor Heyerdahl Says: “Our lack of knowledge about our own past is appalling.
LoneWolf_53
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LoneWolf_53 »

averagejoe wrote:My fear is that they start experimenting and mixing up DNA's into something we may not want....

My point precisely, thus the reference to the killer bees.

I don't know what would happen if they try to create a Sabre Tooth, for example, simply to find out the DNA they used was somehow contaminated, and turned out some beast whose favorite menu item is us.

The implications are alarming, if not terrifying.

Look at locally what scientists meddling caused, with their introduction of Mysis Shrimp into Okanagan Lake, another genie that will never be returned to its bottle.
"Death is life's way of saying you're fired!"
FreeRights
Guru

Post by FreeRights »

averagejoe wrote:My fear is that they start experimenting and mixing up DNA's into something we may not want....

The man-bear-pig comes to mind...
Come quickly Jesus, we're barely holding on.
zzontar
Guru

Post by zzontar »

LoneWolf_53 wrote:Makes me uneasy when scientists take it upon themselves to act like God.

Makes me uneasy when humans take it upon themselves to act like God and take away a species. I believe that is the case with all of those besides the mammoth, mastodon, and saber-toothed tiger.
They say you can't believe everything they say.
ferri
Forum Administrator

Post by ferri »

i think it would be okay for the species that man wiped out. not the others though. those went away because of nature. 'climate change'. lol
i'm just glad cave bears aren't on that list. i would die if they brought those back. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cave_bear
“Weak people revenge. Strong people forgive. Intelligent people ignore.”
― Albert Einstein
Gilchy
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Gilchy »

ferri wrote:i think it would be okay for the species that man wiped out. not the others though. those went away because of nature. 'climate change'. lol
i'm just glad cave bears aren't on that list. i would die if they brought those back. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cave_bear

How about this bad boy...

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2011/02/110203-biggest-bear-largest-giant-short-faced-animals-science/

There's a new titleholder for the biggest, baddest bear ever found.

A prehistoric South American giant short-faced bear tipped the scales at up to 3,500 pounds (1,600 kilograms) and towered at least 11 feet (3.4 meters) standing up, according to a new study.

Return to “World”