Help!

Glacier
The Pilgrim

Help!

Post by Glacier »

I was half asleep recently listening to CBC radio about a story in which the narrator described a scene in Yank Stadium about a woman who had gone to the game to spy on her husband who had taken his secretary to the game. The narrator was there with his father, and witnessed the scene. Two drunk police officer was making disparaging remarks about Jews, which ticked off the Jew behind him, and at the same time the wife yelled at her husband because he was sharing an apple with the secretary. Bats were raised, and at the same moment Babe Ruth hit a home run, and the boy's father (I can't remember if he was a police officer or the Jew) hit the ball back into the field, which hit Babe Ruth.

In my sleepy stupor, I tried to remember the date mentioned, but alas my memory is not so good when I'm dozing in and out of consciousness. Maybe I was dreaming, but I swear I heard this story the other day. Unfortunately, I cannot find it anywhere on the Internet so please guide me in the right direction.

Thank you.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
averagejoe
Buddha of the Board

Re: Help!

Post by averagejoe »

Glacier wrote:I was half asleep recently listening to CBC radio about a story in which the narrator described a scene in Yank Stadium about a woman who had gone to the game to spy on her husband who had taken his secretary to the game. The narrator was there with his father, and witnessed the scene. Two drunk police officer was making disparaging remarks about Jews, which ticked off the Jew behind him, and at the same time the wife yelled at her husband because he was sharing an apple with the secretary. Bats were raised, and at the same moment Babe Ruth hit a home run, and the boy's father (I can't remember if he was a police officer or the Jew) hit the ball back into the field, which hit Babe Ruth.

In my sleepy stupor, I tried to remember the date mentioned, but alas my memory is not so good when I'm dozing in and out of consciousness. Maybe I was dreaming, but I swear I heard this story the other day. Unfortunately, I cannot find it anywhere on the Internet so please guide me in the right direction.

Thank you.

Google is your friend????
Ecclesiastes 10:2 A wise man's heart is at his right hand; but a fool's heart at his left.

Thor Heyerdahl Says: “Our lack of knowledge about our own past is appalling.
my5cents
Guru

Post by my5cents »

I'd stop eating pickles before bed. Problem solved.
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it"
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

my5cents wrote:I'd stop eating pickles before bed. Problem solved.

More than likely the six pack of beer caused the problem.
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

I tried googling and gave up. Need to have the right search words. Good Luck.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
zookeeper
Walks on Forum Water

Post by zookeeper »

There is a new rambling thread you know.
ferri
Forum Administrator

Post by ferri »

wow Glacier, if you really heard that it's one heck of a story! if you drowsy mind did it you should write it down and sell it. LOL

i don't remember ever hearing anything like this involving Babe Ruth but who knows? i'll keep digging.
“Weak people revenge. Strong people forgive. Intelligent people ignore.”
― Albert Einstein
kgcayenne
Buddha of the Board

Post by kgcayenne »

Look at what program was on that day at that time, and then check for the online player or podcast. If there's no podcast or anything online, send the host an inquiry. CBC radio folks are excellent at getting back to listeners.
"without knowledge, he multiplies mere words."
Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your kids.
GenesisGT
Guru

Post by GenesisGT »

Here is a 1934 radio show about the Babe, maybe you were having a flash back, Glacier. No story line as you explained though.

http://www.myoldradio.com/old-radio-episodes/adventures-of-babe-ruth-bobby-lee-ep-12/1

There is some episodes missing and here is a more complete list of shows.

http://radiogoldindex.com/cgi-local/p2.cgi?ProgramName=The+Adventures+Of+Babe+Ruth
You can see the past but cannot go there, you cannot see the future but you can go there.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

Glacier wrote:I was half asleep recently listening to CBC radio about a story in which the narrator described a scene in Yank Stadium about a woman who had gone to the game to spy on her husband who had taken his secretary to the game. The narrator was there with his father, and witnessed the scene. Two drunk police officer was making disparaging remarks about Jews, which ticked off the Jew behind him, and at the same time the wife yelled at her husband because he was sharing an apple with the secretary. Bats were raised, and at the same moment Babe Ruth hit a home run, and the boy's father (I can't remember if he was a police officer or the Jew) hit the ball back into the field, which hit Babe Ruth.

Thank you.

Here is suggesting if you remember which night & roughly time, maybe send email to CBC Radio with what you remember and maybe they will be able to track it down for you. <<shoulder shrug>>
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

The problem is, I think it was like 2 am or some such thing, so I don't remember what show it was (I had fallen asleep with the radio on, and woke up with this story playing). I was thinking As It Happens, the Q, then The Current. Looked through all their archives from a week ago. Nothing. Maybe it was fiction story. Either way, I know I did hear the story on CBC. Thank you all for you advice and suggestions. It's much appreciated. I will keep digging, and send some emails.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
omisimaw
Guru

Post by omisimaw »

Love it the man was a rogue!
t's well known that Ruth and Gehrig had a cool relationship. They were very different people. Ruth was the loud, boisterous life of the party and Gehrig was the quiet, reserved introvert. Consequently, it may have only been natural that they weren't the best of friends. However, what may have made the situation worse was that Gehrig's wife Eleanor was supposedly "friends" with Ruth prior to marrying Lou. "Friends" is in quotation marks because Ruth, a notorious womanizer, rarely had platonic relationships with women according to those that knew him. There was also an incident on an overseas trip to Japan after the 1934 season where Gehrig found his wife half-drunk in Ruth's cabin on the ship. After this incident Gehrig and Ruth didn't speak again until the day of Gehrig's famous Yankee Stadium speech in 1939 shortly before his death from ALS.
To be offended is a choice we make; it is not a condition inflicted or imposed upon us by someone or something else. - David A. Bednar
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

Ha, I remember now (thanks to my son). The kids and I were on highway 24 driving home a week ago today, almost to the very hour. We stopped at lac des Roches. The kids went and played in the water while I had a nap in the car. It was a holiday, so they probably weren't having regular programming. Now I have something to go on.

EDIT: Ha, found it! Turns out that it's a fictional story. Great story. Too bad I was half asleep!

http://www.cbc.ca/asithappens/episode/2 ... -and-more/
We hear Steven Hayward's short story "August seventh, 1921," about the first - and the last - Bat Day at Yankee Stadium.
(*For rights reasons we cannot post the audio of this reading)

http://books.google.ca/books?id=5f1zcqG ... rd&f=false
- Douglas Murray

Return to “World”