My guns trump your dead kids

maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Re: My guns trump your dead kids

Post by maryjane48 »

exactly goatboy , most americans want a gun because mos think its cool and makes them tough . when the only reason they should want a gun is to hunt or target shoot . and even for those activities it should be really hard to get a permit to have one
hobbyguy
Buddha of the Board

Post by hobbyguy »

Canada's gun laws are not, in my mind overly restrictive - they seem to hit a reasonable balance. My guess is that if Obama tried to implement Canada's gun laws (which are considered loose by some countries), there would be "second amendment" revolution in the red states.

The overall statistical comparison shows Canada, at about 15-16% of the per capita gun murder rate of the US. So then, ignoring all other factors (illogical) one would statistically expect that if the US adopted Canada's gun laws, that roughly 7,000 US citizens per year would not die by being shot. Some of those would likely be police officers.

The US overall murder rate is 3 times that of Canada. I have to assume that Canadians "fly off the handle" just as often as Americans. But it is one heck of a lot harder to murder someone without a gun. Especially as after going downstairs to get that baseball bat, you might just cool off enough not to use it. If what comes readily to hand is a gun...

By the way, some studies indicate that Canadians are possibly even more prone to violence in domestic situations - where a lot of murders occur.

I get tired of the baloney stuff about "guns don't kill people, people do". Yup, I might be able to murder you with a spoon - but it is a heck of a lot less likely that I will be successful, and what are my odds of committing a mass murder with a spoon?

I noted in the recent case that as the shooter paused to reload, some folks were able to subdue him with pepper spray and physical force. So much for the argument that massive drum magazines etc. are not a problem.

A guy would have to be an awfully lousy shot to need a 100 drum of ammo when going deer hunting...
The middle path - everything in moderation, and everything in its time and order.
dogbreath
Board Meister

Post by dogbreath »

Partmanpartfish wrote:
If a home doesn't have a gun, it's a lot harder to get drunk shoot your wife.

You have a lot of NRA talking points. But talking points are simply propaganda designed to deceive.

Funny how you point out that one gets drunk before getting violent. Kinda points to more of a social problem than one of a gun issue.
steven lloyd
Buddha of the Board

Post by steven lloyd »

dogbreath wrote: Funny how you point out that one gets drunk before getting violent. Kinda points to more of a social problem than one of a gun issue.

Yes, drunken violence is an issue - especially in homes that also have domestic violence. Its funny how you avoided the point of how the wife would not have been shot if there was no gun. Not suggesting that there might not have still been violence - the gun in the house could have been a precipitating factor and the outcome less serious with less lethal use of force. We also know that many child suicides or accidental shooting deaths would not have occurred were it not for access to a gun.
dogbreath
Board Meister

Post by dogbreath »

steven lloyd wrote:Yes, drunken violence is an issue - especially in homes that also have domestic violence. Its funny how you avoided the point of how the wife would not have been shot if there was no gun. Not suggesting that there might not have still been violence - the gun in the house could have been a precipitating factor and the outcome less serious with less lethal use of force. We also know that many child suicides or accidental shooting deaths would not have occurred were it not for access to a gun.

Steven I didn't mention a gun because I feel its just a red herring to the real problems. I agree firearms should be stored safely and securely. I also believe criminal checks should be in place to prevent firearms getting into "bad guys" hands. What I don't believe is banning firearms all together would solve anything. Drugs and alcohol kill many people every day. No amount of laws or bans has really helped. Acts of terrorism by insane people is the problem. And really, that is what these crazy people want.... people to be scared.

As you may have guessed I am a gun owner. I have been around them all my life. Ive been trained in the safe use and storage of firearms. The majority of gun owners are just like me. I understand that when acts of terrorism happen, especially against kids, that it enrages people, myself included, but taking away guns from the law biding wont change a thing.
steven lloyd
Buddha of the Board

Post by steven lloyd »

I am not against trained and responsible people who have had adequate background checks owing guns. I have served in the CAF and have fired the odd weapon myself. I even recently spent an afternoon at the range here invited to do some training and firing of the new handgun used by our Sheriffs and absolutely enjoyed the time (very cool). It is evident though that some people, particularly in the States, are able to purchase and acquire guns without adequate checks and the safe storing of firearms obviously taken for granted in numerous tragic cases. That says to me there is a problem that should not be ignored.
canada bound

Post by canada bound »

Here lies the difference with Canada and the States. Common Sense!
Last edited by canada bound on Oct 11th, 2014, 10:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
AwakeFromDreamland
Fledgling

Post by AwakeFromDreamland »

" If you are for gun control, then you are not against guns, because the guns will be needed to disarm people. So it's not that you are anti-gun. You'll need the police's guns to take away other people's guns. So you're very Pro-Gun, you just believe that only the Government (which is, of course, so reliable , honest, moral and virtuous...) should be allowed to have guns. There is no such thing as gun control. There is only centralizing gun ownership in the hands of a small, political elite and there minions."
-Stefan Molyneux

The Truth About Gun Control by Stefan Molyneux - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sFMUeUErYVg
Endocannabinoid system "We are all born with a form of marijuana already in our bodies." "Cannabis kills cancer cells,people are not aware of that,they think cancer/cannabis - anti nausea.It's waay beyond that." Dr.Robert Melamede phD
Partmanpartfish
Übergod

Post by Partmanpartfish »

Partmanpartfish wrote:
If a home doesn't have a gun, it's a lot harder to get drunk shoot your wife.

You have a lot of NRA talking points. But talking points are simply propaganda designed to deceive.

dogbreath wrote:Funny how you point out that one gets drunk before getting violent. Kinda points to more of a social problem than one of a gun issue.

No. It kinda points to reality.
goatboy
Guru

Post by goatboy »

Data from a US mortality follow-back survey were analyzed to determine whether having a firearm in the home increases the risk of a violent death in the home and whether risk varies by storage practice, type of gun, or number of guns in the home. Those persons with guns in the home were at greater risk than those without guns in the home of dying from a homicide in the home (adjusted odds ratio = 1.9, 95% confidence interval: 1.1, 3.4). They were also at greater risk of dying from a firearm homicide, but risk varied by age and whether the person was living with others at the time of death. The risk of dying from a suicide in the home was greater for males in homes with guns than for males without guns in the home (adjusted odds ratio = 10.4, 95% confidence interval: 5.8, 18.9). Persons with guns in the home were also more likely to have died from suicide committed with a firearm than from one committed by using a different method (adjusted odds ratio = 31.1, 95% confidence interval: 19.5, 49.6). Results show that regardless of storage practice, type of gun, or number of firearms in the home, having a gun in the home was associated with an increased risk of firearm homicide and firearm suicide in the home.

http://aje.oxfordjournals.org/content/160/10/929.full

Debunk away.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

goatboy wrote: Debunk away.

This has already been debated in this thread, but I repeat that no one (except for possibly the NRA) refutes their conclusion. This means that there is nothing to debunk.
Results show that regardless of storage practice, type of gun, or number of firearms in the home, having a gun in the home was associated with an increased risk of firearm homicide and firearm suicide in the home.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
Partmanpartfish
Übergod

Post by Partmanpartfish »

canada bound wrote:
I don't think Canadians would ever get used to the sight of a person(not a police officer) carry a sidearm on their hip while they are at Tim Hortons.

99.9% of Canadians are 100% glad they can go out for a burrito and not be terrified by the sight of kooks like these:

http://www.theguardian.com/sustainable- ... -activism-

(Yeah, they look really balanced.)

Return to “World”