Abuse of SWAT in USA

Donald G
Buddha of the Board

Re: Abuse of SWAT in USA

Post by Donald G »

To Smurf ...

IMO that could be said of a number of "out of reality" comments that Atomoa has come up with ... like the "hundreds killed in botched raids".
JLives
Buddha of the Board

Post by JLives »

MattJ wrote:Show me the stats of these "few hundred people killed by botched raids". There are far more innocent people killed by gangs protecting their drug turf.

http://www.cato.org/raidmap
"Every dollar you spend is a vote for what you believe in."
"My country is the world, and my religion is to do good."
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Post by Captain Awesome »

So....roughly 30-40 over the last 30 years? Hmmmm, so much for "hundreds and hundreds of people dying in the hands of scary looking SWAT officers".
Sarcasm is like a good game of chess. Most people don't know how to play chess.
JLives
Buddha of the Board

Post by JLives »

There is a statistic saying 500 people are killed by police every year referencing a Depart of Justice report floating around on the internet but I can't find the source material.
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

JLives wrote:There is a statistic saying 500 people are killed by police every year referencing a Depart of Justice report floating around on the internet but I can't find the source material.

I was strictly talking about innocent victims of SWAT police actions from your link since you've provided it as some sort of "proof". And they stretch all the way from 1985. So, tops less than 2 people/year. I think more innocent people get killed by flying a kite.

Five hundred? I'd like to see that number, but I suspect it includes total deaths, not "innocent victims".
Last edited by Captain Awesome on Jun 15th, 2015, 3:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JLives
Buddha of the Board

Post by JLives »

I posted the link with no commentary for a reason. I just wanted to show what the actual number seems to be.
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

JLives wrote:I just wanted to show what the actual number seems to be.

Well, the actual number seems to be less than 2 people/year from the link you've provided. I'm not trying to twist numbers here in any way, and I don't have any of my own.

Now, do you think less than 2 people per year shows a significant problem when it comes to "militarization of police forces"? Keep in mind, over 100 police officers die every year doing their work, but thanks to using advanced tools and tactics (scary looking trucks, scary looking helmets, etc.), the number is actually down from over 300 officers/year in 70's when "militarization" began?
Donald G
Buddha of the Board

Post by Donald G »

People should keep in mind that;

Swat is American. ERT is Canadian.

More police are killed in the line of duty than people are killed by police for any and all reasons.

I can not recall the last time the police in Canada killed anyone in a "botched" raid. I believe it was about 25 years ago when one plain clothes police officer from one police force killed another during an entry at a high risk drug search in Toronto. The whole idea that very many such deaths have occurred in Canada is absolute fabrication.

One thousand, two hundred and fifty people are killed by drunk drivers in Canada each year helps put things in perspective.
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Donald G wrote:More police are killed in the line of duty than people are killed by police for any and all reasons.

See, that's not true. While your argument seems to be valid, when you give erroneous data and statements, it doesn't help it.

2014: Number of police officers killed - 117. Number of people killed by LEO - 623.
2013: Number of police officers killed - 107. Number of people killed by LEO - 336.
2012: Number of police officers killed - 126. Number of people killed by LEO - 602.
2011: Number of police officers killed - 179. Number of people killed by LEO - 166.

http://www.nleomf.org/facts/officer-fat ... /year.html
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_k ... ted_States
oneh2obabe
feistres Goruchaf y Bwrdd

Post by oneh2obabe »

Donald G wrote:ERT is Canadian.

More police are killed in the line of duty than people are killed by police for any and all reasons.

5 police officers in Canada killed in 2014 & 2015
48 civilians in Canada killed by police in 2014 & 2015
Dance as if no one's watching, sing as if no one's listening, and live everyday as if it were your last.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
JLives
Buddha of the Board

Post by JLives »

You are more likely to be killed by a police officer than a terrorist Donald.
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

I love senseless slogans. Good for emotional knee-jerk reaction, but not much more than that.

Here's another one - "More people are killed in the process of pleasuring themselves than by police while committing a crime!". Basically, you're more likely to die while touching yourself than in a stand off with LEO.
Last edited by Captain Awesome on Jun 15th, 2015, 5:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JLives
Buddha of the Board

Post by JLives »

That was just for Donald's sake as he loves to fear monger about terrorists and used to be a cop.
cutter7
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by cutter7 »

JLives wrote:You are more likely to be killed by a police officer than a terrorist Donald.

Thats a fact!
Donald G
Buddha of the Board

Post by Donald G »

The comments that I was addressing were in relation to the accusations and insinuations that the police IN CANADA wrongly killed people in BOTCHED RAIDS.

The one set of data is American History and the other one includes deaths from all reasons INCLUDING FULLY JUSTIFIED DEATHS THAT RESULT FROM THE PRESENCE OF THE POLICE POLICE.

No true picture is possible if each contributor is permitted to change the parameters at will.

Return to “World”