Castanet Poll, "Would you vacation in Cabo?"

g802

Castanet Poll, "Would you vacation in Cabo?"

Post by g802 »

What a stupid poll. Who thinks these things up?

The question in reference to how the people reacted after the hurricane. These are average people, scared, under stress, maybe just lost everything, or Gringos there on vacation........ What about how the good Canadians react, after their team looses a hockey game.

I live in La Paz aboard my boat and I spent the night in the hurricane with great Mexican people saving my boat and others. They were there at 5am in the heart of the hurricane when a dive boat started breaking up the dock and crushing a man and his wife in there boat. The next day people of La Paz began helping their neighbours and family pull their lives back together. For a week they waited patiently in line for hours to get clean drinking water, and other equally long lines for cash and gasoline.

Early Sunday morning we lost three fellow cruisers who perished when their boats sank. One was a German fellow and his best friend (chihuahua) Fritz, and a young couple who were British. The cruisers worked tirelessly for a week to located the missing and to re-float boats that were salvageable. The Mexican Navy and Coast Guard were there to help and to recover the bodies.

What I am trying to explain is, that I am sure there similar stories and more for the people who survived the devastation of Cabo, San Jose del Cabo and Todo Santos. They were hit harder that we were, and they will pull together and get Cabo back up as soon as possible.

Images of La Paz, post Odile:

http://clubcruceros.net/index.php/hurri ... mages.html
Donald G
Buddha of the Board

Cabo Storm Getting a bit Worn

Post by Donald G »

I do not profess to speak for anyone else but the "local to do" about the Cabo storm is getting to be a bit stilted. Thousands of people were caught up in the storm and its aftermath. I am glad the locals are safe but they are, after all, able to simply leave the real problems of the storm behind and fly back to the safety offered by their Canadian citizenship

WADR to them, no big deal.
Bpeep
Mindquad

Re: Cabo Storm Getting a bit Worn

Post by Bpeep »

It sure took the govt there long enough to respond.
The destruction was beyond belief.

It's funny how the whole planet jumped all over Haiti but they ignored the Mexicans.
Seeking the apartment that is creating leasing interest concerns knowledgeable seclusive morons excessively.
Donald G
Buddha of the Board

Post by Donald G »

To Bman ...

I have a sneaking suspicion that it just might have been because out Gov Gen at the time was from Haiti.

I imagine that Canada also contributed to the Cabo storm. Just not as much emotional attachment to attract the media. We seem to have the concept that if it does not appear in the media it did not happen. When in fact most of the altruistic things done take place without emotionalized media attention.
Bpeep
Mindquad

Post by Bpeep »

I question whether altruism can actually exist between different governments.
I say it's all fuelled by self interest, hence the bombing and rebuilding of countries while another nation is left to succumb to cholera and starvation.
Seeking the apartment that is creating leasing interest concerns knowledgeable seclusive morons excessively.
fall
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by fall »

Donald G wrote:I do not profess to speak for anyone else but the "local to do" about the Cabo storm is getting to be a bit stilted. Thousands of people were caught up in the storm and its aftermath. I am glad the locals are safe but they are, after all, able to simply leave the real problems of the storm behind and fly back to the safety offered by their Canadian citizenship

WADR to them, no big deal.

Agree, I rolled my eyes at the "exclusive" interview headline and wasn't interested in the slightest.
omisimaw
Guru

Post by omisimaw »

There are actually quite a few Canadians and others that call Cabo home for at least half of the year, every year and have done so for decades.
We can not criticize the government of Mexico for response to the problem as it simply is not our place to butt in....
Mexico has benefited greatly from the multitude of North Americans that have contribudio mucho dinero desarrollar esa parte del mundo
Ha permitido a los mexicanos para sobrevivir y prosperar!

but even with this contribution it is known up front that you have no voice, no say in how things are run.... so if you like the country and the people and you have the money it is a great place to go as a snowbird!

Edited to add: and if you feel in a giving mood .... donations of baseball bats, balls and gloves would be greatly appreciated for the kids of Mulege Baja Mexico.... transport leaving next week and if you are in the Vernon or Kelowna area and can help out PM me a contact number and we can arrange to get the items to the Angel of Mulege ! before she leaves....
To be offended is a choice we make; it is not a condition inflicted or imposed upon us by someone or something else. - David A. Bednar
Xia33
Übergod

Post by Xia33 »

but even with this contribution it is known up front that you have no voice, no say in how things are run.... so if you like the country and the people and you have the money it is a great place to go as a snowbird!

Why should Canadians and Americans have any say in how things are run? Canada is the only place where immigrants can come in and have a say....every other country, you abide by their rules.
And just for the record, it is a great place to be full time!
LANDM
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LANDM »

Xia33 wrote:
Why should Canadians and Americans have any say in how things are run? Canada is the only place where immigrants can come in and have a say....every other country, you abide by their rules.

That is absolutely false. There are many many developed countries that are having issues with immigrants insisting on major changes due to their culture, and succeeding.
You and 71 others Like this post
omisimaw
Guru

Post by omisimaw »

Times have changed in Mexico... Not so long ago you were not able to purchase a place in Mexico without great difficulty. About the best you got were timeshares....
In this day and age people own property there and in most civilized worlds when you own property you pay tax and when you pay tax you usually have a minimum amount of voice....
I have never asked how much say they have these days and that is a good question but I do not think that part has changed one bit from years gone by when IF you did own property in Mexico you had zero voice...
Not trying to make this some big immigrant vs home grown discussion.... just pointing out that when in Rome, and when you decide you want a piece of Rome and can afford it, you best do it knowing that things are not the same as back home!

As the stories have indicated the warmth and generosity of many locals shone through as did a lot of the ugly side of others. I am sure it would be extremely scary for anyone to be caught up in a catastrophe away from home... especially when you had only planned on getting a tan, drinking margaritas on the beach, and getting some R&R.... not to mention the expense and stressful end to a holiday!
To be offended is a choice we make; it is not a condition inflicted or imposed upon us by someone or something else. - David A. Bednar
Busdriver1964
Fledgling

Post by Busdriver1964 »

I can not afford to visit Cabo let alone snowbird there.. I guess we all have different priorities
c2c
Fledgling

Post by c2c »

omisimaw wrote:in most civilized worlds when you own property you pay tax and when you pay tax you usually have a minimum amount of voice....

In BC, in order to be eligible to vote in either the provincial or municipal elections, you must be a resident of the province. Non-resident property owners are not eligible to vote.
Xia33
Übergod

Re: Castanet Poll, "Would you vacation in Cabo?"

Post by Xia33 »

"It wasn't only locals, it was gringo or tourist populations looting as well"
This quote from news.

Thank you for posting this. And yes, it is a totally stupid poll! We were supposed to be in la paz to live end of sept, but unforeseen stuff with work put it on hold for another few months....I am happy to hear that la paz didn't get hit as hard as cabo (could find out nothing about it) and am so glad you spoke up about the sense of community and caring there. Mexico always gets a bad wrap here and there is always a spin to make it look bad.
Yes, after the riot in vancouver there was also looting and destruction...but no storm, no people in peril, no one who had lost everything.
We lived in mazatlan for 10 years and I, personally, can't wait to get back!
Oxl3y
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Oxl3y »

Poll: Pompeii was once completely annihilated by a volcano eruption do you feel safe traveling there???
[img] obviously too awesome to be displayed
Xia33
Übergod

Post by Xia33 »

and your point is? lol

Return to “World”