I'm getting tired of racial profiling

hozzle
Lord of the Board

I'm getting tired of racial profiling

Post by hozzle »

“The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient, while nature cures the disease." & “doctors put drugs of what they know little into bodies of which they know less for diseases of which they know nothing at all.”
- M. de Voltaire
ValB58
Banned

Re: I'm getting tired of racial profiling...

Post by ValB58 »

He obviously had his music up too loud and was driving in an unsafe manner to attract the attention of the law enforcement.
my5cents
Guru

Post by my5cents »

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it"
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

safe to assume the kid took it from someone else, lol
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
fvkasm2x
Guru

Post by fvkasm2x »

Profiling is a great tool and SHOULD be used all the time.

An example of a case I was involved in a few years back:

There is a "poor" neighborhood with virtually NO white people in Vancouver. It is known to law enforcement personnel that spoiled white kids go there to buy cheaper drugs. So when you see a white kid walking down the street in nice clothes next to a known drug house... it's a safe bet that he was there buying drugs.

Guess what... that's racial profiling. It's socio-economic profiling.

Stereotypes exist for a reason and usually, they are correct.
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

100% correct
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
the quadguy
Fledgling

Post by the quadguy »

If you are referring to racial profiling. I think it is a wonderful thing. And a VERY useful tool in crime prevention. Just think of it , Does it not seem like we as whites believe that others of a different color are about to commit a crime, I guess the reason is that they have proven that they are responsible for the majority of crimes,Why because we can't tell if a white person should be profiled by other then the way they dress.If you at society today if you have dreadlocks,4 lbs of metal hanging off your face and a body covered in tattoos, Chances are pretty good you are a pothead, They think this is a cool look and will help them succeed in their job hunting endeavores.Wonder if employers profile in a case that that. I would hope not lol.
my5cents
Guru

Post by my5cents »

Like you said, quadguy, a lot is made of "racial" profiling, when in fact (I can't vouch for the USA) a lot of profiling is "appearance profiling".

That happens everywhere. You work in a 711 and black male, 6'4" 250 lbs comes in wearing a suit and tie, I would expect no bell would go off.

A white male 5'10", dreadlocks, tats on his face neck and arms, bolts in his lips and ears, there'd be concern, until he spoke and bought a litre of milk and a loaf of bread and was polite and respectful.

The police are the same. Not only for people they see on the street, but vehicles. We all can pick out the "good check" vehicles as we travel the streets.

"Appearance profiling", reminds me of an incident that happened many years ago in Vancouver. Two middle aged males arrive at the Point Grey Golf Club. Point Grey is one of the VERY exclusive clubs in Vancouver. There were visiting from out of town, both had long hair, unshaven, wearing blue jeans, leather vests. Certainly not the image cottoned to at Point Grey.

They were told they weren't welcome, the two, didn't protest, they were polite, they understood, thanked the staff and left.

Later that day they played a round at a less exclusive club, left hundreds of dollars in tips, purchased souvenirs and in their wake left a golf club thrilled to have served, Willie Nelson and the late Waylon Jennings, who were in Vancouver for a concert that night.
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it"
the quadguy
Fledgling

Post by the quadguy »

oops i forgot we can't have them do that Profiling you know, Maybe someone would mistake him for a farmer.
the quadguy
Fledgling

Post by the quadguy »

You have taken profiling to a new meaning,Profiling means to observe and make a decision as to weather the individual looks, like he may be someone of interest and may be in need of watching. And as far as the guy with all the dreadlocks and metal in his face, maybe his thinking is not as clear as it should have been. perhaps he is just trying to make a statement, like how does this shock you I can't believe I was stupid enough to do it my own self LOL Young people with little or no guidence have been doing dumb stuff to their bodies for years, nothin ,new. I think it's wonderful I think they should keep it up,As a matter of fact I have some ideas of other things they could hang off their bodies, maybe some living plant life like vines growing out of the dreadlocks, they could flip it over their shoulders, that would be good then they could graze on it if they became hungry.just wondering.But someone might think he was a farmer.

Return to “World”