Should they pay?

Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Should they pay?

Post by Bsuds »

http://www.castanet.net/news/World/1310 ... SIS-ransom

It's a slippery slope. If Japan pays this then it opens the doors for more kidnappings.

I would hate to see these 2 men killed but many more would follow if Japan gives in!
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Re: Should they pay?

Post by Dizzy1 »

You'd think that that $200 million could buy some pretty reliable information on the whereabouts of these *bleep*.

Yeah, I don't think they should pay ... as cold and heartless as it sounds, 2 lives saved is going to end up costing many more.
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
Smurf
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Smurf »

I agree, it sounds very heartless but they should not pay. I believe it is for the better good of all not to cave to these people. If they ever start to believe they can make money can you imagine what will happen.
Consider how hard it is to change yourself and you'll understand what little chance you have of changing others.

The happiest of people don't necessarily have the best of everything, they just make the most of everything that comes their way.
Poindexter
Guru

Post by Poindexter »

Absolutely not. It's a pretty easy decision knowing full well that any payment will put other innocent people in jeopardy and by not paying they're putting kidnappers out of business. It worked with airline hijacking so why wouldn't we learn from history and lay the cards out. Simple message, kidnapping wont pay anymore.
Remember: Humans are 99% chimp.
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

its the risk they take when they go there-NO PAY-
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
brounal
Board Meister

Post by brounal »

No can't pay. Too bad they will kill the hostages if they don't get the money but likely they will kill them anyway. And they will keep kidnapping and ransoming more as was said if they do pay.
Could maybe capture some high ranking enemy personnel and trade them for the hostages. But probably no time for that now.
Or offer to pay. Setup a pickup site and insist on a top commander of enemy be there to pick up the money.
A good sniper or drone strike and at least you could get some payback.

And agree with what was said. If you are dumb enough to go to these countries with current situation then you have to accept the risk of what happens to you.
FreeRights
Guru

Post by FreeRights »

It's tragic, because these correspondents are so vital to providing the general population with valued information on war zones. They absolutely know what they are getting into, like members of the military, but that doesn't decrease the despair one may feel when something like this happens.

The answer in this case is clearly not to pay. A terrible thing to say, but with reports suggesting that ISIL is experiencing financial difficulties, it's tactically more efficient to hold out. As much as we value their life, their sacrifice may save hundreds or thousands more.
Come quickly Jesus, we're barely holding on.
steven lloyd
Buddha of the Board

Post by steven lloyd »

Bsuds wrote: It's a slippery slope. If Japan pays this then it opens the doors for more kidnappings.

It is a slippery slope. I agree with what people are saying here - in principle - but the fact of the matter is that even though some countries say they will never give into demands of paying ransom, many times behind the scenes they are working in one way or another (eg. assisting and facilitating efforts of private negotiators) to do just that. Japan is just being more open. Kidnapping is still a popular strategy used by terrorists to raise money. The reason they still do it is because it does pay.

eta: the only solution is to bomb them out of existence ...

FreeRights
Guru

Post by FreeRights »

steven lloyd wrote:It is a slippery slope. I agree with what people are saying here - in principle - but the fact of the matter is that even though some countries say they will never give into demands of paying ransom, many times behind the scenes they are working in one way or another (eg. assisting and facilitating efforts of private negotiators) to do just that. Japan is just being more open. Kidnapping is still a popular strategy used by terrorists to raise money. The reason they still do it is because it does pay.

Ignoring that last part, it's true. Maybe not at an international level, but on a continental level, kidnapping and ransom is actually an industry in Mexico. So much that there are actual and legitimate companies that exist for the protection of, or the negotiation of, kidnapped individuals in Mexico.

The movie Man on Fire isn't particularly far from the truth at all.
Come quickly Jesus, we're barely holding on.
fvkasm2x
Guru

Post by fvkasm2x »

No.

Sets a bad precedent and funds terrorism. You don't want to be abducted? Don't go there.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

I'd rather be killed than have my government give into demands of terrorists just to save my life. The random money to save my life would probably used to kill another 10 people anyway.

"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray

Return to “World”